Australian Idol

if I remember correctly, they did the same thing for The Voice 2021 and that paid off.

3 Likes

Ricki-Lee spoke to Sammy J on ABC Radio Melbourne this morning about the new season and her own experience on Idol in 2004. I thought it was odd to promote a reality show on the ABC.

4 Likes

You’re allowed to talk about noteworthy things from rival networks

4 Likes

Though Mark Holden is no longer there, I wonder if any of the judges will declare a “TOUCHDOWN!” after a fantastic performance by any of the contestants? Would be nice if any of them did.

7 Likes

First opener of the show looks good.
Kyle looks settle

3 Likes

Australian Idol is currently trending third on Twitter, behind Australian Survivor and Married at First Sight.

1 Like

That’s because the 55+ audience don’t have Twitter. It will probably skew older than MAFS and survivor.

3 Likes

In the original, did they show the audition process like tonight? Show all the cities together? Because they’re showing all of them tonight (with the judges wearing different clothing for each contestant).

I may be mistaken, but i thought in the original, they’d show one night from one city, then the next night from another city, and so on? Im happy to be proven wrong though…

And we’ve only seen Ricki-Lee and Scott going to Gold Coast for 20 seconds, about 15 minutes into the show, and haven’t been seen since.

1 Like
2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move if there’s somewhere more appropriate.

I haven’t watched much free TV in a long time and haven’t seen any promos or known anything about Australian Idol at all.
But, tonight, we found ourselves flicking channels after ABC News and managed to land on Australian Idol.

We’ve found it pretty good so far, but decided to give up when a promo ran saying it’s running again tomorrow night and Wednesday night.

When will the networks realise that over-saturating these shows is the reason people are turning away from FTA?

I would happily tune in and watch this show for an hour once a week, but I’m not committing 2 hours for 3 nights every week to one show - it’s just too much

4 Likes

I know I said this in this thread a while ago but I’ll say it again - that’s how Seven butchered its revival of The Mole a decade ago. I didn’t like how they overstretched the format and pushed the boundaries with some of the gameplay etc. plus we didn’t know when terminations would be held.

3 Likes

Meghan goes to Alice Springs to “surprise” a singer. The singer was “so surprised” to see Meghan and didn’t know she was turning up, yet there was a camera operator filming from the inside already when she opened the door. Yep…

7 Likes

She didn’t know it was going to be Meghan though. She was told it was a producer coming.

6 Likes

Aaah, yes, i didnt think that through. Makes sense now. Thanks.

2 Likes

No worries.

They’re a lovely, lovely family by the way.

Naomi only found out the day before. She was meant to go to the auditions herself but couldn’t make it due to family reasons so they flew Meghan to her.

5 Likes

Any winners so far?

1 Like

I thought it was good but once again ruined by the length. 20 minutes less and it would’ve been perfect.

3 Likes

A new sensation

Australian Idol returns to uncover next generation of singers

The unmissable new era of Australian Idol finally kicked off tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, with the nation’s brightest singers giving it their all to score a Golden Ticket and a place in the coveted top 50.

First up, 16-year-old Amali Dimond impressed judges Harry Connick Jr, Meghan Trainor, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark with her rendition of Adele’s Make You Feel My Love. Her performance moved Harry: I love your voice, I really do. If you get voted through, we have a competition. Because you would be very, very difficult to beat.”

Perth based café worker Sharin Attamimi’s jazz interpretation of Leave the Door Open by Silk Sonic received the first “yass queen” of the series from an ecstatic Meghan. Straight-shooter Kyle’s verdict was also complimentary: “It was a breath of fresh air. I either like it or don’t like it, and I loved it.” Sharin secured a Golden Ticket and her place in the top 50.

Meghan screamed after watching 20-year-old Joshua Hannan perform Matt Corby’s Brother. “I’m just like, fangirling. You just turned into a superstar in my face,” she squealed. Amy added her own personal praise for the aspiring star, before giving him her vote: “Not many people can pull off that song like Corby. He’s got a very incredible voice, and you remind me a lot of him.”

Complete with an Akubra and mullet, lamb marker Connor Bulger performed Slim Dusty’s classic, A Pub With No Beer. Amy believed he wasn’t quite ready, but the other judges disagreed as Harry exclaimed: “I didn’t understand a frickin word you said the whole time, but like going to the opera, I feel something.”

Leaving no stone unturned to find the best voices Australia has to offer, Meghan dropped in on 22-year-old student Naomi Gipey at her home in Alice Springs. Taking Meghan on a trip to Simpson’s Gap, Naomi delivered an acapella performance of Mercy by Duffy and was sent straight through to the top 50.

Brisbane guitar teacher Ben proved looks can be deceiving as he wowed the judges, embodying Led Zepplin’s Robert Plant for a Golden Ticket-winning rendition of Whole Lotta Love. “You look like you couldn’t care less about being here, but when you started singing I was like man, that’s dangerous,” said Harry. Kyle added his own unique feedback: “The voice is interesting, but I also picture you nude in a butcher’s apron and me tied up on a steel table. So that freaks me the hell out.”

Not every singer was able to secure a Golden Ticket, with 19-year-old law student Imogen Ledell failing to impress the judges and refusing to take no for an answer. “The vocal was not great at all. You must know that it’s pretty woeful?” Kyle responded, before Harry added “I’m going to be honest with you. Singing is not for you.”

Finally, 27-year-old Sara Houston’s personal story of overcoming a cancer diagnosis and 32 surgeries, coupled with her raw interpretation of John Mayer’s Waiting on the World to Change moved Harry: “Personality, presence, heroism. This is what Australian Idol is all about and you have all those qualities.”

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Golden Ticket winners

Other Auditions

2 Likes

According to the TV Tonight preview last week you’re right - it used to be one city per episode, which made much more sense. Sadly such shows, led by The X Factor and Got Talent, have switched to a cut and paste approach in recent years which is frustrating, especially as you know producers are trying to build an episode to form the narrative they want, rather than just showcase the best of one set of auditions (admittedly not in the order of the day).

5 Likes

Hmmm. This ep just feels odd. Started weird. No intro by the new hosts, no intros to the judges, all the auditions look poorly attended with them trying to make 50 people look like a crowd, all holding signs that look like they were drawn by kindergarten kids.
This is not what I was expecting. Hopefully it improves.

Amy shark is the standout judge. She is awesome. Meghan great as well.

3 Likes