Australian Idol

A shame that the top 12 Performance Shows are pre-taped. Does this mean that there will be an elaborate set change between each song? And that sob stories can be inserted into the performance shows and extend it further more?

What’s wrong with airing it live? 12 singers. 5 minutes each (2 minutes singing, 3 minutes of judges feedback). That’s 60 minutes, plus banter with hosts and ads. 90 minutes long.

And i agree that the audition process should have no home visits for the next season. Extend the audition process in each city. Simple.

5 Likes

But Idols ‘s audition process is still the purest of them all, and most reflects the way auditions are traditionally held in show business.

I don’t know about that. Those outer town visits are fluffy filler, producer directed. The opening the front door and the whole ‘shocked’ thing is lame. From what I gather reading around the traps, contestants are screened, told what to wear, told what to say, and told what to sing. That’s not pure.

What I hate about many of these reality shows these days vs 20-25 years ago, is they are just over orchestrated by producers. They run to tight schedules these days sadly, how is has to happen I guess. The top 12 will be decided by the EP, not the judges. Seven have a lot riding on this and they don’t want flat personalities (regardless how good the voice is) entering the Top 12.

2 Likes

You gathered correctly. All of that is 100% correct. You had to audition on zoom in front of a producer and then you were invited to the auditions that will be televised next week.

I’m pretty sure the old days you literally lined up to audition.

2 Likes

Same as big brother I think. Completely different beasts these days. I do miss the natural bit though. Likely I am the target viewer anymore.

1 Like

New competition to win show tickets

2 Likes

And the tickets for Saturday 25th say “Sunday”?

1 Like

So they’ll pre-record the “live” performance shows yet they’ll still overrun by 20 minutes.

4 Likes

2003 contestant Cosima De Vito has told this week’s New Idea that she was one of just a handful of high-profile Idol alumni who were approached to mentor the contestants and do group performances on Seven’s reboot, but she declined.

https://www.newidea.com.au/cosima-de-vito-australian-idol-return

5 Likes

I remember her performance of “Predictable” by Delta Goodrem during the show - if I remember correctly, that prompted her to release it as a single.

I also remember when she was forced to withdraw before the Grand Final, due to some throat issue (though happy to be corrected as to why).

3 Likes

She had nodules. It was top 3 with her, Guy and Shannon.

Her version of ‘When The War Is Over’ is what I remember most. It’s only a shame her recorded version she released held back on the ‘belts’ the song is known for (Farnsy’s version in which she did).

2 Likes

also from that first season in 2003, I remember that very crazy audition by a Perth contestant called John Robertson:

1 Like

As a fan of the original Idol on Ten in the 2000s, my highlight every year, was the silly auditions and the eye roll reactions from the judges, especially when the contestant would take exception and things would get heated rather quickly, including some memorable theatrics from the former judges. I reckon this is where Seven need to have done well, including utilising Kyle’s personality with this. We saw a brief glimpse of one of these in the promos, but I guess we’ll see. As Cynic says, they’ll need some juicy things themselves to get en engaged and committed audience, with Married’s noise (and following the tennis) and Survivor’s also loyal following and has proven consistently solid audiences too.

5 Likes

Absolutely! However I think they’ll stuff it up.

1 Like

I don’t think they want Kyle to say anything that will upset anyone .

1 Like

Almost every auditionee who are mentioned in the press kit above has his/her own Instagram account. So far, Kaitlyn Thomas and Maya Weiss have revealed that their auditions will be shown on January 31 (Tuesday) while Jess Crossman says her audition will air on February 1 (Wednesday).

Kaitlyn’s audition was also mentioned in her local paper North Central Review this week.

I looked at the dates again and realised that they would film 3 more shows on February 10-12 to trim the top 50 down to top 25 and then the final 12. I expect those episodes will be shown on the week of February 19. Then the live shows (or at least the Monday elimination show which is definitely live) begin filming on February 25.

1 Like

Having seen Kaitlyn perform live she is amazing

1 Like

I should clarify not at the idol auditions though. She essentially is a country music performer.

1 Like

First 5 minutes of Idol will also screen on 7Two, 7Mate and 7Flix on Monday.

I always struggle to see that there is any significant advantage for this. Would anyone who was watching these channels at 7.30 be inclined to switch Seven - perhaps they somehow missed the promos and forgot? - every little bit helps?

4 Likes

7mate in Brisbane, Adelaide and Darwin won’t simulcast the first five minutes of Idol on Monday, due to the channel’s live coverage of Australian Cricket Awards from Sydney.

1 Like

Whenever I see a roadblock across channels I just assume the network doesn’t have faith that the show won’t hit their ratings target so they try and steal viewers from other channels (albeit their own channels).

5 Likes