Australian Idol

I thought the first episode was great. Lost of nostalgia feels but also quite current. Judges are great. Bring on the season!!

5 Likes

The judges on the whole were great, but I thought they were a bit harsh to Imogen. I feel they should be more sensitive to those who don’t seem to be taking the criticism well.

That usually happens for the middle of the road singers who get 2 yes votes. The standouts always go through and the bad ones that get 4 no’s usually play along with the judges. The bit with Imogen tonight just felt a little cold.

1 Like

What is with Sevens allergy in using big brand theme songs?

I was hoping to hear some stings of the Idol theme. But yet again it’s crickets with some swoosh sounds for the titlecard…

5 Likes

Licensing fees?

1 Like

The production company though would own the rights to the associated imagery and music with the show, and even as tight as Seven may be at times I doubt they’d get any discount at all for not using the theme.

FWIW I don’t think the full theme stands up that well 20 years on, but the basic jingle over a short title card works well enough.

5 Likes

Maybe they might not start using it until the live shows…

3 Likes

Idol flops big time. 413k compared to MAFS’s 840k. Even beaten by Survivor. Ouch.

1 Like

Had a feeling that audiences would think Aus Idol was daggy and old. Way behind those shows in the demos which suggests only the oldies were interested in it for some nostalgia.

Seven should have just stuck with The Voice and that would have been enough in the genre.

8 Likes

Could have been worse - Daryl Somers could have been one of the judges…

6 Likes

Idol auditions always rated lower from memory. I would think the post audition shows will rate better

1 Like

Bang on. TV and music has moved on.

6 Likes

I think a jingle over a titlecard sting would be fine.

2 Likes

Do imagine had Seven aired The Voice up against MAFS though…

I remember when they aired its first season (after nine seasons on Nine) it went up against The Block and scored some, at best, reasonable ratings which justified its decision to purchase the franchise from Nine.

1 Like

Not a great start but I think it will build.

2 Likes

Only way is up, but I’m tipping today will be lower than yesterday. Unless those who watched MAFS or Survivor swap to Idol

2 Likes

I have done just that.

3 Likes

It’s still okay tho. I’m really loving Kyle, Meghan and Amy. Harry don’t know. Not vibing him yet

Off-topic I know, but House Rules had a tough start when that show began a decade ago but it built over time.

On topic, good to see the show nodded to Ricki-Lee and Jessica Mauboy’s original auditions in 2004 and 2006 respectively.

On the Kate, Tim and Joel show on Nova 96.9 this afternoon they did have a quiz about the early seasons of Australian Idol; one of the questions was “name the top five from the 2003 series” and another was who beat Mauboy to the title in 2006.

2 Likes

With Riki Lee & Kyle involved I’m guessing both Nova & KIIS would be advertising for Idol?

1 Like

For their respective networks, possibly. Both would be going all out in their efforts to promote the show.

1 Like