Australian Idol

I think the Big Brother live shows in 2001 were doing it a couple of years before Australian Idol in 2003.

2 Likes

There was one on 7 that actually did alright in 2000, ‘Treasure Island’.

3 Likes

I’m guessing for the bulk of the original run the audition shows were around the hour mark. 90 minutes I could understand, but 2 hours, and back to back over 4 nights is a bit much too though not unexpected. This insistance on stripping shows in Australia which air elsewhere in a weekly format often doesn’t do them any favour though.

If they do plan for a 7pm start they won’t announce it until as late as they can, but I suspect they see Home and Away as a decent lead in for it and ACA as competition. Guessing that will be when Ally starts.

3 Likes

There is an event in Sydney this weekend:

2 Likes

If you go to the event in Sydney, you will even have the chance to win Golden Ticket double passes to live Australian Idol shows during Danny Clayton’s DJ set.

Melbourne will be the third and final stop of the truck tour. It will take place at St Kilda South Beach Reserve on Sunday week (January 29) with Rob Mills performing.

3 Likes

Pity 7 wasn’t able to do a special that included highlights and maybe a couple of in studio performances… might have been good on Sunday 29th as a lead in to the offical launch on the Monday.

3 Likes

Australian Idol will air three nights a week when it premieres on Seven on January 30, says the footnote of today’s Sunday Telegraph interview with Kyle Sandilands.

4 Likes

Meet the stars in the making

What will it take to become Australia’s next idol?

Iconic star-maker series Australian Idol is ready to unearth a new generation of Australian artists when it premieres 7.30pm Monday, 30 January on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Helping find the next idol to take Australia by storm will be celebrated American Idol judge, musician, singer, composer and multiple Grammy® award-winning Harry Connick Jr; powerhouse Grammy® award-winning singer-songwriter Meghan Trainor; unfiltered and unapologetic top-rating broadcaster Kyle Sandilands; and beloved eight-time ARIA Award-winning singer-songwriter Amy Shark.

Australian musical treasure and former Australian Idol judge Marcia Hines also joins the series as a special guest judge.

A global success since 2001, the Idol franchise has launched the careers of many multi-award- winning artists including Aussies Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy, Matt Corby, Ricki-Lee Coulter, Anthony Callea, Stan Walker, Casey Donovan and Courtney Act.

International music icons Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Adam Lambert also launched their brilliant careers on the Idol stage.

What’s the secret to Idol’s world-wide success?

“I think it’s the simple, old-school nature of the show,” says Harry. “It’s a classic competition format that brings the audience on an insightful journey with the singers in the competition. No other show does
it better.”

In his search for the next Australian Idol, Kyle says he’s focused on the bigger picture: “Can this performer become a superstar who’ll have commercial success? Are they good enough to sell out shows and have radio and streaming platforms begging them for new music? I know there’s a beauty to examining the artistry of music, but you can’t buy a house and a Lambo with artistry.”

In his search for the next Australian Idol , Kyle says he’s focused on the bigger picture: “Can this performer become a superstar who’ll have commercial success? Are they good enough to sell out shows and have radio and streaming platforms begging them for new music? I know there’s a beauty to examining the artistry of music, but you can’t buy a house and a Lambo with artistry.”

Amy agrees, saying a successful artist needs more than just a good voice: “We’re looking for the package. Unfortunately, gone are the days of just being able to sing. You have to be a likeable, talented and hardworking character to really make it in this business.”

Aspiring artists aged between 15 and 28 will showcase their talents during the nail-biting judges’ audition rounds of the competition covering Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast. Judges will also travel to regional Australia to ensure no stone is left unturned in their search for the best emerging music artists.

From the thousands of contestants who audition, those lucky enough to score a Golden Ticket from the judges will automatically claim their coveted spot in the top 50. The judges will narrow 50 to 24 and 24 down to just 12 artists, who will feature in the live performance round of the competition.

Australian audiences will vote each week of the live rounds to decide who will be crowned the next Australian Idol. The winner will receive a recording contract with industry giant Sony Music and $100,000 in prize money.

Australian Idol is hosted by multi-platinum selling, ARIA Award-nominated singer-songwriter Ricki-Lee – who was discovered on Australian Idol in 2004 – and internationally renowned entertainment presenter and former E! host Scott Tweedie.

Note: Confirmed 7:30 pm start time.

https://twitter.com/AustralianIdol/status/1617309740610244609?s=20&t=tni-_Sd0A3Xx7qX8ZYCyBA

6 Likes

5 Likes

Hearing rumours that the performance shows will actually not be live in fact… filmed on Saturday nights and edited for broadcast on Sunday night.

Only the results shows on Monday nights will be live.

2 Likes

Sad, if that’s true :frowning:

We want live variety on our screens, not just a live results show.

8 Likes

I wasn’t going to say anything but yeah, I’ve heard this too.

Friday and Saturday filming with Sunday and Monday airings.

2 Likes

I hope this is not true otherwise that’ll be one way to destroy the format.

Last time round, the live performances and eliminations were merged into a Sunday night staple, a departure from the previous format of live performances on the Sunday night, and eliminations on Monday night.

The grand final must surely be live…

2 Likes

It’s like 7 were alllllllmost willing to take a chance… but pulled up at the last step.

7 Likes

Next, we will be seeing Ricki-Lee and Scott, in front of a green screen, on Grand Final night, revealing who the winners are. And that would probably be the only “live aspect” to the show.

Come on Seven, take the risks and to the top 12 live. It’s only on air for a few weeks anyway, and its not like its going to stretch out to 12 weeks anyway like the original version. So where’s the harm in taking risks.

6 Likes

So for the act that survives the elimination, they only have 4 days to prepare for the following week?

How is it still a rumor? I thought dates for audience tickets were already known?

1 Like

Kyle too much of a risk to air live critiques???..or even turn up?

1 Like

Is this something that is also done in the US? Or is it all live over there?

1 Like

I think (based off the promo), “LIVE Television is back” they would surely do something LIVE? A results show seems fair enough. Isn’t that what they did for X Factor a few years ago?

3 Likes

I doubt you will be able to tell it’s not live. SYTYCD did the same thing for it’s run.

3 Likes