Australian Idol

There’s definitely a good vibe!

2 Likes

7 still haven’t learnt their lesson after many failed attempts at launching big new shows against 9’s powerhouses. This should have been kept well away from MAFS, especially with the promotional push MAFS will get during the tennis.

3 Likes

The show is live so when should they do it? Wait 6+ months after the audition process for the live shows? The audition stuff was filmed in October

3 Likes

Maybe one of the other 364 days in the year, away from the MAFS premiere. This reminds me of the Holey Moley fiasco, plenty of buzz and promotion, but poor scheduling choices.
I hope I’m proven wrong because I love Australian Idol, but if history is anything to go by…

1 Like

They can’t continue to run scared though. If they don’t take any risks then they’ll never beat MAFS either.

6 Likes

Isn’t giving MAFS a free start worse for the long run? Since people will watch MAFS ep1 & might continue to watch it. Having Idol compete shows people the alternative offer

7 Likes

Exactly - Nine taking a risk on supersizing MAFS is what ultimately took down the original iteration of MKR after many shows previously failed to do so.

3 Likes

I have a good feeling about this season of Australian Idol. Bringing back good production values and LIVE reality TV may kick start a refresh to proper non trashy reality TV in Australia in the same way that Idol originally kickstarted it all back in 2003.

I am expecting solid ratings and catch up. It will also be spoken about every minute on the KJShow, which is hugely popular.

Looking forward to it.

5 Likes

The January 30 premiere date was indeed the gift mentioned on the show’s Instagram yesterday.

3 Likes

Holey Moley is a very different show though. That was always going to flop whereever it’s scheduled - it’s not the sort of show designed to be stripped daily.

Do wonder though if they might have been better off launching a day earlier against the tennis final than against MAFS. I’m sure other big franchises have done that before and TBH if they start it at 7pm you’d likely only miss the first set of the tennis anyway.

1 Like

I reckon initially it will be MAFS #1 as it has the Tennis as a strong lead in. Idol hopefully won’t bee too far behind and could gain momentum as it goes along. Australian Survivor likely a distant third.

If Idol is like the old days it will prob only be on twice a week? I’m guessing though the first few weeks they will air it a few nights a week.

3 Likes

I think in the first few weeks they will show Idol three nights a week to cover the auditions and the top 50 challenge, then two nights a week during live shows stage.

4 Likes

Won’t the Bachelors still be airing when MAFS airs?

1 Like

Yes. But not every night of the week. Probably Survivor Sun-Tue and The Bachelors Wed-Thu.

2 Likes

I’ll be watching too ,thank goodness I have a PVR now ,I’ll record Idol and watch it later.Watching live TV drives me nuts with all the ads👎

3 Likes

Maybe Australian Idol should premiere at 7.00 pm on the first night?

3 Likes

Perhaps it might. Hence why Home and Away is starting early in the new year…

4 Likes

That would give it a 1/2 hour head start against MAFS on Nine and Survivor on Ten. But could it work?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Seven has been advertising Australian Idol for some months now. Showcasing some great singers, and a handful of not so great ones. By the time the show starts on January 30, i wonder if they would have shown the top 50 contestants in the ads by then, because they seem to have advertised quite a fair few auditionees so far.

3 Likes