Australian Idol

So without using the same old faces, what others are out there that are known enough and have the experience to be on the show?

2 Likes

Casey Donovan, Kate Ceberano, Christine Anu, Troy Cassar-Daley.

2 Likes

On this show specifically. As I said I did mention two names I would have used above. But I will mention it again. Casey Donovan is someone I would have used. You have the link to Australian Idol, she is popular (won the show and I’m a Celebrity), everyone knows who she is that watched the show.

I would have even looked at Dami Im - been to eurovision, successful and very well known to the 7 audience.

3 Likes

Maybe they were asked and said no? Like I said. We don’t know the behind the scenes of things.

4 Likes

Maybe they did ask and they said no. You don’t know that.

4 Likes

Oh please come on… We aren’t that stupid are we?

We had Timomatic as a judge one year for Australia’s Got Talent. We’ve had Jess Mauboy and Guy Sebastion judge for a number of seasons.

Casey Donovan, Christine Anu and Kate Ceberano have appeared as contestants and special guests for reality shows, but not host/judge them.

Instead of going around in circles, apart from Kyle Sandilands, we do not know who Seven approached for Idol, who was available, who wasn’t. We have the four judges signed and set. Where was this uproar when announced some time ago?

2 Likes

If that’s the case why would 7 have used people like Stan Grant and Aaron Pedersen (just 2 random names that come to mind) decades ago?

3 Likes

We are talking about current representation. But still only 2 people over the last decade isn’t something to celebrate. Why can’t people see this as an issue? It is smacking you in the face every time you turn on FTA television. This is just proving how inherently racist we are as a society.

Are the networks homophobic as well then? What about representation of other specific groups?

2 Likes

Not sure how people of minority ethnic groups actually feel, but I’m thinking they may almost find the tokenism in advertising for example, where it’s hard to find a person in some ads that’s not of a different ethnic background, actually insulting. It’s overcompensating in many ways.

3 Likes

What? OMG this is crazy.

I think networks have gotten better at this although it’s not perfect.

1 Like

Yes, there is. But there are a range of opportunities that need to be given in different sectors of the industry and not just as contestants.

I hate the term “person of colour”. As Morgan Freeman said, “I’m not black. I’m Morgan”.

The idea that people should be hired purely because if the colour of their skin is terrible.

7 Likes

Which is why I think a quota to try and even things up is a terrible idea. People won’t want to be hired because networks are forced to hire them or only doing so to fill gaps.

3 Likes

It is. It is a shame that is what is happening (that mainly people who are white are being represented on our FTA screens).

I don’t hear any complaints from the labor party in Australia. Or from similar things that have happened overseas.

So if quotas were made mandatory what could happen is that people who are qualified and experienced and are white will miss out on roles to others who maybe not be as qualified and experienced just because they need to fill a quota?

Which in turn makes the show or workplace or whatever not as good as it could be because they’ve been forced to turn away experience.

It just screams tokenism.

It should be based on experience and talent rather than skin colour.

5 Likes

Again you are just assuming people of colour are not qualified. And its not like there won’t be jobs within the industry for those who are white.

Yes exactly but that is not happening.

Again, you don’t know that though. It’s an assumption. You don’t know who’s being approached and whether they’re accepting or not and who could be auditioning. There are so many factors below the surface that we aren’t aware of.

1 Like

You are being incredibly naive… and if you think this is the case this is something that quotas would assist with. It keeps them accountable.