Australian Idol

Glad they’re touring the country with the judges then. It’s not the sort of effort you expect from 7.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a good feeling about this one. It looks like it’ll be pretty close to how it used to be done.

3 Likes

Judges auditions for the new season concluded in Melbourne yesterday.

He was an American Idol judge so I guess they chose him as he has a connection to the format like Kyle does. Plus they are obviously wanting some judges that are going to tell it like it is - not these fake over the top positive comments that other talent shows pour out these days.

I’m glad every sign so far is that they are staying very true to the original format. This definitely gives it an edge over other pre-recorded all-in studio talent shows.

2 Likes

Teaser

6 Likes

I would love to know if I am wrong on this but I am I right in thinking 7 have only employed 2 Australians of colour this year in prime time (Jessica Mauboy and Sam Pang)?

I am glad Australian audiences are running from FTA with representation like that. And you can see what people want with huge numbers for heart break high which had representation

1 Like

There’s also Alesha Dixon for AGT, even though she’s not Australian she was employed by Seven for an Australian show.

She isn’t Australian. Using overseas talent is just even worse for those Australians of colour in the industry who are trying to make it.

1 Like

Do you really believe networks are going out of their way to strictly hire white people over people of colour?

9 Likes

Yes I do.

So if they started hiring more people of colour deliberately over white people don’t you think that would be a little insulting that the only reason they got the job is to fill a quota and not because they have the skill or experience.

I like to believe people are hired for a job based on their skills and experiences.

16 Likes

Who is to say the person of colour wouldn’t have skills or experience?

I would actually argue there are a lot more people of colour with more experience than Kyle Sandilands more qualified to do the job of judging Australian idol…

And no I have no problems with quotas because clearly there is inherent racism within FTA television. Until that is fixed force the hand.

Like I said to you the other day I think it was, I’m hearing you, I don’t disagree with your overall analysis at all. Not in the slightest. I just don’t believe it’s that simple.

There are so many factors that we aren’t aware of. We don’t know and probably never will know who applies for these roles, their background, whether they’re black or white, Asian or Japanese, what experiences they have or don’t have.

The fact remains. If a white person with a wealth of experience applies and they’re known in the industry and to the audience they would be hired over someone of colour with little to no experience or qualifications.

People are not going to get hired on a “just because” basis to fill a quota.

Like I said. I truely believe it’s about experience and popularity.

3 Likes

You might say you don’t disagree but you clearly don’t care if things don’t change. And that is the problem. To say it isn’t that simple is just laziness and wanting to just ignore the situation or ‘turn a blind eye’. It is this simple.

Kyle Sandilands said he was approached. I don’t believe there were an auditions for this judging panel. So this is a basis of 7 only looking for white people to fill the roles.

Again, who says people of colour aren’t qualified. This completely ignorant.

Well, that is the purpose of a quota. And quota isn’t a new thing. It is done in many professions and probably needs to be implemented for networks as well as they are clearly unable to do it on their own backs. Quotas work.

You can’t just claim that without any knowledge whatsoever. How do you know for a fact that 7 deliberately sought out only white people? You can’t possibly know that.

Can I ask who you would have had on the panel then?

2 Likes

Kyle mentioned it on his radio show they asked him to do it. And if you are trying to tell me every time a network asks a person of colour to do a job they say no you are being moronic.

I actually made some suggestions in a previous post. Go check it out.

Just because they asked Kyle doesn’t prove they didn’t ask people of colour.

3 Likes

If you actually believe every time a network asks someone of colour to do a job they say no you are being moronic.

I’m not suggesting that because it isn’t “every time”.

You’re picking on one show.

What about Jessica Mauboy, Seal, Guy Sebastian on The Voice?

Mel B on The Masked Singer.

Alesha on Australian’s Got Talent.

Mel on MasterChef.

I’m not saying that’s enough. It most certainly isn’t. But it proves networks are offering roles to people of colour.

4 Likes

Mel B is from the UK. Not an Australian person of colour.

Alesha is from the UK not an Australian of colour.

I did mention Jessica Mauboy above. But yes I did forget about Guy Sebastian.

I have mentioned Mel. But 3 people still isn’t representation.