Australian Idol

Top 50 starts Monday 13 February.

4 Likes

If you are like me and think the Idol 23 reboot feels boring and woke. Here are some 2007/09 audition compilations, which make it very clear as to why the show did well and was entertaining to watch 16 years ago versus today.

4 Likes

It highlights to me how overproduced the new series is. Classic 7.

4 Likes

When the top 25 week starts next week I wonder if Seven will use a similar intro to other versions of Idol around the world?

Also it will be nice if Seven shows some credits at the end of each episode, like who is the executive producer? Who are the producers? Who is the Director of Photography? etc.

6 Likes

Hope to hear the classic theme music again. Would give it a bit of a vibe, just what it needs atm.

5 Likes

Mixed messaging?

“Watch Live” and “Stream from the start”

1 Like

Does seem strange. Watch live on the television, and stream it too.

And are they already using the “biggest week of Idol” tagline? It’s only week two! I wonder how many times they’ll use that line… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Harry said the s-word while travelling to Wallsend in NSW for a one-on-one audition with Piper Butcher. I think it was beeped out on Tuesday’s original run but heard on Friday’s replay.

There was one on Wednesday’s episode when Miss Earth Australia 2019 sang off-key in front of the judges.

2 Likes

shit? you can type shit.

3 Likes

Ooh. How rude! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Not really - the notion is Seven wants people to watch the eps as they air but if someone hasn’t seen past eps, they can catchup on 7Plus.

2 Likes

Sparky’s electrifying audition

Adelaide tradesman lights up Australian Idol auditions

Harry Connick Jr, Meghan Trainor, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark reached the halfway point of their nation-wide search for the country’s next sining megastar in tonight’s Australian Idol on Channel 7 and 7plus.

The auditions kicked off with 18-year-old school student Alivia Hollis, who detailed her family’s struggles after her dad walked out when she was only six. Her emotional performance of Kelly Clarkson’s Piece by Piece captivated the judges, earning Alivia the first Golden Ticket of the night.

After convincing his dad that he was made for music and not medicine, 27-year-old Kartik Kunasegaran decided he would try his hand at convincing the judges too. A Singapore Armed Forces Music and Drama Company alumnus, Kartik’s fun rendition of Treasure by Bruno Mars did exactly that, and won him a Golden Ticket.

Part-time baker and shoe shop worker Montana Lara, 24, brought more than singing talent to her audition when she impressed the judges with cookies she had baked featuring their faces. “A force to be reckoned with”, Meghan said as Montana’s effortless performance of Chains by Tina Arena found her a spot in Top 50.

Adelaide-based electrician James Vawser, 28, was encouraged by fellow tradies to try his luck on Australian Idol after singing at worksites for years. His electrifying rendition of James Morison’s You Give Me Something inched him closer to his dream of singing in front of a large audience after the judges handed him a Golden Ticket*.*

Sean Jeacle, a 25-year-old rock singer who Meghan described as “straight out of Stranger Things”, stood out from the crowd with his unique look and singing style. Performing Billy Idol’s Rebel Yell, Sam made his way to Top 50.

Nerves got the better of 24-year-old Tessa Noll, the niece of Australian Idol legend Shannon Noll, as she auditioned with Meghan Trainor’s Like I’m Gonna to Lose You. Tessa lost the chance to perform on the same platform as her uncle when she failed to impress the judges, all of whom felt that despite her beautiful voice, she wasn’t ready for the competition.

Amy headed to Eton in North Queensland to audition local coal miner Damien Agius. Damien chose to sing If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks, the song that was played at his brother’s funeral. Amy said: “Even if I didn’t know the backstory to the song I got serious lump in my throat, you really have a way of making people feel emotional. We are down a cowboy and I just found one.”

Chandler Campbell, a 19-year-old voice actor, met his icon Harry Connick Jr and tried his hardest to impress him with Seth McFarlane’s Let’s Face the Music and Dance. While Harry was mesmerised by the crooner’s song choice, the three other judges were not as into it, but still gave the singer four yeses. “Good is good. Just because it isn’t my cup of tea doesn’t mean I can’t see how good it is,” said Kyle.

Plaid-loving student Emilie Sutter was bullied in primary school, turning to music to get her through hard times. Singing Kasey Chambers’ iconic tune, Am I Not Pretty Enough, Meghan was blown away by Emilie, stating: “You remind me of me. I used to play guitar but I wasn’t as confident as you are.” Kyle said it was the most enjoyable performance he had seen during the day and that Emilie “owned” throughout the whole performance. Emilie was the recipient of the last Golden Ticket in tonight’s round of auditions.

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Emilie - Am I Not Pretty Enough by Kasey Chambers

Alivia Hollis – Piece by Piece by Kelly Clarkson

Montana Lara – Chains by Tina Arena

James Vawser – You Give Me Something by James Morrison

Damien Agius – If Tomorrow Never Comes by Garth Brooks

Chandler Campbell – Let’s Face the Music and Dance by Seth McFarlane
Kartik Kunasegaran – Treasure by Bruno Mars

Sam Jeacle – Rebel Yell by Billy Idol

Tomorrow night on Australian Idol: As space in the Top 50 dwindles, hopefuls do whatever it takes to secure their chance at becoming the country’s next Idol. Who will impress the judges enough to be handed a Golden Ticket?

Australian Idol Continues Monday and Tuesday 7.30pm on Channel 7 and 7plus

3 Likes

Too many sob stories tonight. Save that for the voice.

2 Likes

Surprises me they get away with this. You’d think the industry wouldn’t stand for it.

They need people to do both. Indeed if someone watches on linear and then streams again on 7+ are they counted twice in the ratings?

2 Likes

Top 24 starts on Sunday 19 Feb.

4 Likes

So it sounds like next week will be the top 50 shows that Marcia Hines was the guest judge for.

Then Top 24 shows are being filmed this weekend. Hopefully there is a viewer voting component with a results show announcing the Top 12? I assume that’s then when the live shows start

2 Likes

Everything they do is overproduced, even Robbo on the TVB podcast regularly such such

2 Likes

The problem is that the first top 12 live show will also be pre-recorded and broadcast next night, there is no way the viewers will be able to vote during the top 24 week. I think only audience members at each top 24 session can vote for their favourite contestant(s) to go into the top 12.

1 Like

As much as the likes of The Voice are rushed nowadays it’s always been this middle stage which can drag out in talent shows - producers make it pretty obvious who their favourites are in the audition eps so having to go through a process on screen to get from a Top 100 to Top 50 to Top 24 to Top 12 is basically a whole lot of filler.

2 Likes

Ricki-Lee Coulter said on the radio this afternoon that the Top 12 shows will be “live live” as opposed to recorded live but screened later.

8 Likes