Australian Idol

Top 12 will have to be live as Seven is going to wack a ‘Live’ graphic on the shows. They can’t get away with night before pre-record or as live.

5 Likes

I like the new series but I think seven have made a mistake playing up the american thing wit the 2 american judges and even the promo vo has traces of an american accent. they could have had 3 or 4 australian judges and really pushed the australian part of it as opposed to something like the voice with the OS big name judges. as other people have also said having the american idol winners in the early promos was not necessary either. regardless I will keep watching on and off and hope the ratings pick up enough for another series where they can hopefully make improvements.

Harry Connick Jr goes back to school

Is the next Australian Idol hiding in small-town Scone?

Tonight, on Australian Idol, all-star judges Harry Connick Jr, Meghan Trainor, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark continued their nation-wide tour to uncover the nation’s next singing superstar on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Ambitious Perth theatre performer, 24-year-old Bec Voysey, set out to prove she belongs on stage with an acapella version of Skinny Love by Bon Iver, as covered by Birdie. The judges agreed it was a stellar performance and gave her the first Golden Ticket of the night.

Melbourne’s Harry Hayden impressed the judges with his version of I Am Changing by Idol’s own Jennifer Hudson. Meghan and Kyle told Harry he could win the competition, and he was awarded a Golden Ticket too.

Performing Johnny Cash’s Ring Of Fire with flaming pink hair, 19-year-old Anya Hynninen gave Meghan “Adele” vibes and landed herself a place in the Top 50.

Next up, Harry Connick Jnr went back to school in small-town Scone, NSW, to audition 18-year-old Hamish Guiana in his music classroom. Taking on Niall Horan’s This Town, Hamish was thrilled to discover he had secured a spot in the Top 50.

Later, Tully Wishart, the son of X-Factor runner-up Andrew Wishart, was looking to forge his own path in the music industry. Using his raspy voice to give a grungy take on The Black Key’s Lonely Boy, Tully wasted no time in wowing the judges and made it to the next round of the competition.

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Bec Voysey – Skinny Love by Bon Iver

Peter Karagounis – Almost is Never Enough by Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes

Anya Hynninen – Ring Of Fire by Johnny Cash

Harry Hayden – I Am Changing by Jennifer Hudson

Gemma Ann Rourke – Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars
Hamish Guiana – This Town by Niall Horan

Tully Wishart – Lonely Boy by The Black Key

Jakob Poyner – Broken Cowboy by The Dead South

Tomorrow night on Australian Idol: From TikTok stars to twin sister duos, the contestants bring it all for their chance to win a Golden Ticket to the Top 50, can they prove they have what it takes to be the next Australian Idol?

Australian Idol Continues Tuesday 7.30pm on Channel 7 and 7plus

2 Likes

It’s great that the producers seem to be making a concerted effort to be inclusive of race, sexuality, weight and gender.

It does seem though that they enjoy making straight white males look like idiots or say no when the contestant is clearly talented. Which in itself is not inclusive.

A yes vote should be based on talent and ability, not some form of positive discrimination or affirmative action.

The show feels inauthentic at the moment.

3 Likes

7 I would think would be happy with the audience for last Monday doubling with total tv numbers and beating survivor

3 Likes

I’d don’t think Seven would be happy with a win over Survivor in total people of just 6,000 especially given their dominance in regional areas. .Idol’s increase in Total TV numbers was 32% - while MAFS was up 66% and Survivor 52% so again the show was outperformed in catchup and BVOD viewing.

3 Likes

I think 7 would have been expecting the 7 day total audience of 885k to be the overnight metro audience or at a minimum the overnight metro + regional.

I think the overnight metro + regional was 673k.

1 Like

The auditions are going on way too long. I’m at the point where I’ve almost had enough of them until the next phase of the competition begins. Which is a shame because they have mostly been good, they just needed some tighter editing and to be a bit faster paced.

I don’t know who on earth thought that 7 episodes of such long drawn-out auditions (that go for almost 2 hours each) was going to set the world on fire.

3 Likes

Even the auditions themselves can go on for too long; there’s no need to hear the whole audition as is sometimes the case.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s too drawn out. They need to pump through them a bit more and devote more than 2 auditions per half an hour.

I’m not going to watch until the live shows start.

2 Likes

One aspect I do like this time around is that it’s not just the successful candidates whose back stories we hear.

1 Like

Some food for thought. Could Seven also purchase the rights to American Idol and air it on, for example, 7mate or 7flix? Or do Ten still have the rights to those?

1 Like

Promoting next week’s Top 50 shows at the end of tonight. The contestants are singing LIVE in front of a crowd. They are to be singing solo LIVE. Hyping up the LIVE aspect again…

They showed Marcia Hines as the special guest :slight_smile:

The top 50 shows will be on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday next week.

2 Likes

Yeah because Meghan was promoting her new single in October last year.

1 Like

Is this in reply to something specific?

2 Likes

The comment above saying that Marcia is a guest judge for Top 50.

2 Likes

See previous:

Sunday is round 7 of the auditions.

2 Likes

Tears and triumph

TikTokers, twins and tragedy on tonight’s Australian Idol

The sixth round of auditions brought sister acts and social media darlings in tonight’s episode of Australian Idol on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Rock chick Jessica Clennett delivered a moving tribute to her late father on the anniversary of his death, managing to keep it together for a knockout rendition of Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love to become the first Golden Ticket recipient of the night.

Keeping her word to leave no stone unturned in the search for the next Idol, Grammy® award-winning judge Meghan Trainor travelled to the Northern Territory to meet singing sisters Jenaya and Paityn Laidler.

While younger sister Jenaya wasn’t quite ready for the competition, her older sister’s rendition of Pink’s What About Us stunned Meghan, who asked Paityn to join her back in Sydney for the Top 50.

Filipino powerhouse Elysa Villareal left the judges intrigued with her performance of 24K Magic by Bruno Mars, who asked her to elevate her singing when they see her in the next round.

Wedding singer Kristie Roberts was busy preparing for her own wedding, but that didn’t stop her from finding time to belt out Anastasia’s I’m Outta Love. While her nerves were evident, all four judges agreed with Amy as she told the 28-year old she “crushed it”.

A slew of viral sensations tried their hand at moving from the screen to the stage. Erica Padilla, who has over 1.3 million TikTok followers, auditioned with River by Bishop Briggs; while 21-year-old online comedian Finn Burton stunned with her own version of Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. The judges were so impressed at the social media stars that they handed them both a Golden Ticket.

It wasn’t all good news however, as TikToker twins Yasmin and Yolanda Absolom’s audition of Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance went from bad to worse; while cat-loving Alkira Odell also failed to impress and left with her tail between her legs.

Sydney bus wrapper Lachlan Izzard took to the audition room to perform You Are The Reason by Callum Scott. However without his guitar, Amy described the 19-year-old’s performance as “a bit robotic”, while Kyle thought his performance was “floppy”. Comparatively, Harry and Meghan thought his delivery was beautiful, and were able to convince Amy to back them and secure Lachlan a spot in the Top 50.

See tonight’s audition highlights :

Paityn Laidler – What About Us by Pink

Elyse - 24K Magic by Bruno Mars

Jessica Clennett - Whole Lotta Love by Led Zepplin

Lachlan Izzard - You Are The Reason by Callum Scott

Kristie Roberts - I’m Outta Love by Anastasia

Sunday night on Australian Idol: It is the final night of auditions, who will be the last to make it through to the Top 50?

2 Likes

Oh.

1 Like

On tonight’s show we heard a snippet of the theme music as they came back from the break… when Meghan was in Alice Springs.

2 Likes