August 2019 Stabbing Incident in Sydney

Nine has gone to Hot Seat.

Ten streaming on Periscope:

1 Like

Are you hoping for a passing mention during the 6:00pm news, probably at around 6:53pm in place of a cat story just before the weather?

10 is live on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/10NewsDarwin/videos/419885981978795/

2 Likes

Who had the best coverage this arvo?

Nine. But Seven had better footage.

1 Like

Yeah. Cause Seven has an advantage

2 Likes

I had 9 on the telly and I was streaming 7 on my laptop.

I think 7 gets the win for today. Mark Ferguson was outstanding. I’ve never actually seen him do rolling coverage before but he was IMO the best I’ve seen.
He didn’t waffle on or make anything awkward or over dramatic. He was calm, informative and weighed in on his thoughts just the right amount. Some anchors go over board with this stuff.

7 had by far the best pictures early on.

9 caught up with what seemed to be good chasing by a reporter here and there.

But I reckon 7 told the story better too - I found myself muting the TV so I could hear 7 when they played the vision with full audio, nothing else. Clever and captivating.

All 7 reporters were senior and did a great job.

9 had juniors out and about and some of the questions they asked witnesses were very basic and a bit cringy actually.

9 also seemed to have vision freezing problems all afternoon and audio issues.
A few moments too, Pete would thank a reporter and start to read on but we were stuck on that reporter pulling their ear out and walking off. Felt clunky and slow.

Looking at 6pm I only saw 7s and I thought they nailed it. Well executed and very smooth to air.
If someone has 9s first break can they post?

3 Likes

Nine would’ve had some vision freezing due to footage rapidly coming into the newsroom, and the control room staff would’ve been lining it up to play while the bulletins were going.

Nine had a bonus due to Nine News Now, instantly bringing the news nationally rather than just Sydney.

1 Like

Seven needs to get rid of the giant scrolling watermarks. Reporting news about a tragedy is nothing to brag about.

2 Likes

Jesus, how much coverage do we really need to see over a stabbing. Seriously.

3 Likes

Many thanks to @ScreenTower

Seven’s Afternoon News:

9 News Sydney 6pm:

4 Likes

2 hours of the Seven coverage is on Twitter, here:

2 Likes

It’s particularly interesting to compare the coverage that todays events in the Sydney CBD have received (where so far one person has died and another is in hospital - as I understand it) compared to the Darwin shooting on June 4 (where at least five people were killed, if I’m not mistaken) which seemed like a far more serious incident, possible terror links to today’s events not withstanding but unlike many others seem to be on social media I’m not going to be calling it a terrorist attack unless/until it’s officially confirmed by NSW Police.

Will there be serious conversations about media organisations properly resourcing their newsrooms in all parts of the country? Probably not.

6 Likes

Some idiot in a business suit running in to get a kick in when the guy’s already restrained. Another bogan runs in to swear at the attacker. As long as those people can stroke their egos… :roll_eyes:

Massive effort by the guys who chased the attacker with chairs and milk crates! Certainly a creative way to restrain him but job well done!

1 Like

What would you do if you saw him stabbing a woman?

1 Like

Check the Daily Mail.

I don’t think its a case of people stroking their egos. When you witness something like that and the adrenalin is pumping it will effect how you react to a situation you’re in the middle of. I think people are more likely to become involved and want to help considering incidents in the past where waiting on authorities to take charge hasn’t resulted in good outcomes. We all watch coverage of these incidents and reflect on what we would do if confronted with a similar situation, particularly when such an incident has occurred in streets you have walked on countless times.

1 Like

Another 7 News watermark from today.

2 Likes

ABC News had the best coverage as seen in Queensland - a variety of reporters, points of view, interviews and unlike Nine, live coverage of the police media conference. It also trumped Nine’s because they knew when to stop and go to other news of the afternoon. Fair enough, for Sydney have the rolling coverage, but for the rest of the country it seemed excessive (IMO).

Was Nine’s coverage delayed into SA, NT and WA?

1 Like