August 2019 Stabbing Incident in Sydney

ABC Good Morning America and NBC Today, with both having reports from their London bureaux. Why from London? From Twitter:

Edit: CBS This Morning with live cross to 10 News reporter Lachlan Kennedy in Sydney. From Twitter:

4 Likes

You’re out of luck if you want to stream Nine’s 9:40pm bulletin on 9now:

The same thing appeared during the preceding Newsbreak.

1 Like

Because Americans are too stupid to care.

1 Like

Sydney only bulletin. Normal programming in QLD.

5 Likes

7’s watermark visible on Today and GMA

2 Likes

Cool to see CBS using 10 as a portal for Australian news

5 Likes

I was about to ask if CBS used a Ten reporter as they did for the December 2017 Flinders Street, Melbourne incident when Nick Etchells filed a report for them. NBC used Bill Neely in the London Bureau to report on that one, too.

I miss the days when NBC would use Seven reporters to report on breaking news from this country. They were using former NBC News New York based reporter Sara James, now married to an Australian and living in the Macedon Ranges, for a time but I haven’t seen her on NBC news product for some time.

6 Likes

Caps from Nine’s Special short bulletin:

5 Likes

I grew up watching Sara James on NBC. Was always a fan of her. She was on NBC for the Christchurch Massacre.

3 Likes

I should say ABC and NBC viewers are too stupid to care. Has been that way forever. The American networks have always had this “illusion” that they cover world news, and that they have all these bureaux. Ha. Hardly. They have one guy in London who watches TV, and a guy in Jerusalem who gives you guess who’s line.

With the exception of CBS - which is a bit more discerning, and usually reports from, you know, the actual geography.

“TEN” lol

1 Like

Goodness me. They might as well crossed live to the moon, it’s about as relevant.

6 Likes

Did 7 and 9 give any capacity for international networks to book live shots? Probably not - they’re big enough for local rolling coverage, but probably didn’t think to assign someone for satellites. So the US networks get their foreign bureau in, you guessed it, London to package a story up.

CBS and 10 have presence of mind to do such things because of common ownership. That’s it.

Because that’s the biggest international bureaux that is open at 4am nyc time to file the report.

3 Likes

And I think all networks need to tone down the size of their banners and should drop them during news stories.

Just been to the UK and can’t tell you how refreshing it is to see news with minimal banners. They pop at the start of a story and disappear for the rest of the story. Quality stuff. If only our news services could make their news look classy like that.

1 Like

7’s “The Latest on FB Watch” has 520,000 views in 8 hours.

Would make it the most watched single “bulletin” in all of Australia. By far.

It’s not really about the news or, you know, actually reporting on the ground, getting original info and the like for NBC and ABC - when it comes to world news. It never has been. This happens constantly with Australian stories. Their job is to keep their viewers - who are too zoned out to care or think - in insulated bubbles of only their manicured “star reporters” sitting in glamorous, busy-looking, branded, air-conditioned offices in Europe telling them reports comprised of the most superficial information lifted from other agencies doing the same thing, so that it comes across often as pretty unreliable, overly simplified, clichéd third or fourth or fifth-hand information that’s gone through multiple European offices. The result is very poor journalism. But then, for ABC and NBC in particular, it’s not really about good journalism.

Oh, and don’t include too many of those pesky foreign accents either - like interviews with locals in those faraway places - because what’s coming out of their mouths is usually difficult for the home viewer in Buttfuck to get their head around.

1 Like

‘Special Coverage’ on Sunrise this morning. Whilst it was done well, I am not sure 10 minutes of coverage with 2 reporters at the start of the show was warranted- more than 12 hours after the incident. The only ‘new detail’ was that the perpetrator is still under mental health assessment, which could have been mentioned in a 90 second report.

5 Likes

Yes for ACST viewers. However Darwin receives Sydney afternoon news so they would’ve had decent coverage from both Nine and ABC.