ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Tim Bergh is leaving Grant Broadcasters currently PD at 2EC/Power FM Bega, he’ll be joining ARN Brisbane as the Assistant Breakfast Producer for 97.3 FM.

1 Like

They might as well just simulcast their main station - sound pretty much exactly the same.
When will stations realise that people don’t want to hear “Sounds of Then” over & over & over again for the last 30 years??
The listeners miss out again as nothing original is happening on DAB - Radio really has to invent itself

No need to be negative. 7HO Classic Hits is actually quite good.

5 Likes

Not true in my opinion. Their main station tends to play newer music. I can’t stand listening to 7HOFM itself but I have been listening to their alternative on DAB.

5 Likes

Awesome…can’t wait for Sussudio or Hotel California again.

Josh Olek has finished at K Rock after 3.5 years and will join Triple M Brisbane in August, where he will be hosting afternoons alongside a role in operations.

3 Likes

And you have provided a Radio Today article which will probably have 10 silly comments from the fictional Olek fan club on there by bedtime tonight. If I were him I would embarrassed by the rubbish that is put in comments.

1 Like

Another K Rock presenter is heading to Triple M, this time to Melbourne.

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but slightly noteworthy that ABC’s Utopia often uses 2CC audio including Capital Radio News as background audio to establish a trip to Canberra.

Perhaps we should start a topic on “fake radio” during TV and movies as per the fake TV news bulletins :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, noteworthy! Perhaps it’s easier for the production company to acquire the rights of that in program (if reqd) than it is for an ABC bulletin itself. Ironic as it sounds.

2 Likes

Looking at their Song History pages of the following stations, as well as through Lava, it seems that the music log centralisation has continued at Grant, with Bay 93.9 Geelong, 3BA Ballarat & LAFM Launceston (along with 7SD N.E. Tasmania, which is virtually a relay of LAFM), now carrying the same log for most of the time. 7XS on the West Coast of Tas, which previously carried the 7HO log, is now using the above log.

This also applies to its CHR stations, K Rock Geelong, Power FM Ballarat, Chilli FM Launceston/NE Tasmania & Sea FM NW Tasmania, who now mostly share the same log.

Meanwhile, River 94.9 & 7AD/7BU are now partially (at least) sharing the same log.

3 Likes

I never thought I’d see the day where K-Rock was a clone of Power FM Ballarat. How shameful for a once great station…

8 Likes

i know 3 BA ballarat has changed what they have been playing in the last 3 weeks

Having mentioned that 7AD/7BU are now taking the same log as River 94.9, this is happening just months after both stations had converted from AM to FM, presumably to go with a more “FM-friendly” music format compared to what they had before when they were AM stations.

With that in mind, when 2EC on the Far South Coast of NSW converts its main 765AM service to FM, and maybe 2ST in the Shoalhaven/Southern Highlands a little further down the track, I wouldn’t be surprised if they switch from the “Classic Hits” log that comes out of QLD to either the AC log used in VIC/NE Tas or the River log. Maybe in the future, there wouldn’t be much difference in the music played between 2ST & Wave FM, for example.

The same playlist as heard on Bay 93.9 in Geelong, an AC format with a favourable modern skew. Here’s a sample: Song History - 3BA

And compare it to: Song History - bay 93.9

That means from a Melbourne-based DXers point-of-view, there’s now no incentive to listen to the Ballarat stations over the Geelong stations, whereas before, there was.

Indeed, I remembered 3BA being a station that played a lot of 70s/80s music when I was holidaying there in late 2003/early 2004, whilst Bay had a more modern AC format. How times have changed, and not necessarily for the better. :frowning:

It’s a shame as the stations used to have a strong identity

1 Like

i know that having 3ba changeing there format , power fm might now be struggling

Yes, 3BA used to be bit more of an oldies station, certainly when compared to Bay that was a soft adult contemporary format. The old/new divide worked in Ballarat that way, whereas Geelong had the soft/hard divide between Bay and K-Rock

All ancient history now…

1 Like

thats the word im looking for lol 3ba has now become soft adult contemporay

1 Like

At least much of Ballarat can get a good signal of Gold Central Victoria on 1071AM, which has a more older-skewed music format than what 3BA has become.

I drove to Ballarat today, noticed Power FM is now branding as Power 1031, Grant seems to have changed all its stations around here to having the frequency following the name.

eg
Krock Nine Five Five
Bay Ninety Three Point Nine

3 Likes