AM To FM Conversions

Yes, there’s also an iPhone version.

According to ACMA’s Draft Five-Year Spectrum Outlook 2020-24, which was released today:

2 Likes

Billy will be a busy boy.

And so will the techs :grinning:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to hear the Supernetwork regionals in glorious FM mono.

4 Likes

Very Interesting and I would assume that Directional Antennas on Mt Dowe would be used for the Conversions of 2MO (to the south) and 2VM (to the north)

2 Likes

I think @gordo92 said 2AD 94.3 will be stereo, so I imagine other stations will follow suit. The 2BS FM mono situation (if still the case) was inherited from Bathurst Broadcasters.

And I believe there are plans to make the Super Network AM satellite feed stereo too?

2SM DAB is only Stereo for the Sydney programs… Anything from 2HD is mono. For example, I can hear Talkin’ sport and John Laws in stereo.

1 Like

I was under the impression there are at least a few cases of SRN/BOG AM network stations which have local programming in stereo but the network feed in mono on their FM translator signals.

2GF 103.9 was definitely running native stereo for locally generated content, 2RE’s 100.3 Great Lakes translator may have also been doing something similar. I think the Port Stephens relay of 2HD might be entirely mono though!

One would imagine that these plans have been put on ice for now due to the virus and that the #1 priority right now is keeping the feed on-air regardless of whether it’s in mono or stereo.

2 Likes

2HD 97.5 and 2RE 100.3 are definitely two instances whereby local programming has been in stereo on FM repeaters. Not sure about others.

But seems at least 2RE would be at least partially equipped to be FM stereo when their conversion happens.

2 Likes

Was listening to 2ue and was reflecting, hope with these future conversions it won’t be like what happen with 2OO, 2GO, 2WS, 2UW, and 2KO. We lose a certain AM format after a couple of years with these stations on the FM Band. In Sydney we now have 2ue and to some extent 2CH. Some could argue Smooth has revived the format, but it’s very FM in my view. The AM music oldies format (but more modern than 2ch) would work in the above mentioned markets especially on the FM band (Newcastle, Wollongong and Central Coast) but sadly I don’t think it will come back.

1 Like

You could argue that the “oldies” run by those stations back then are the equivalent of what WS and Gold play these days ie. mostly hits from 20-30 years ago.

True. But from the playlists posted from 2ST, 2LT, 2CA, 2UE, 4KQ , Cruise and even XLFM and 2GN there is a difference in my view. They did not change as rapidly as the FM equivalents in other markets did.

1 Like

Since late last year, 2ST went with a more “FM-friendly” AC format, even before it’s officially converted to FM (the Nowra LAP Variation hasn’t been finalised yet).

As for 4BK, I’m sure you meant 4KQ (sorry I had to do that again)? :wink:

Fixed my post , next time I make that mistake I will send myself to the mediaspy sin bin. No posts for 10 days. :scream:.

Yeah true RE 2st which is a shame.

Interestingly I’ve noticed a few North American FM stations (particularly in Canada) have flipped to a true oldies format over the past year or so.

1 Like

It’s also the case over the other side of the Tasman in NZ, where Magic Music, which has a true oldies format, started out on AM in the three biggest cities of Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch when they first launched in April 2015. Over the past year, they’ve moved over to FM in those three cities with the format left intact.

1 Like

2GF 103.9 Maclean and 2HC 100.5 Woolgoolga FM repeaters both in stereo for local content.

2 Likes

Woopi!

2 Likes

Given the above re 2EC, I wouldn’t be surprised if 2ST’s upcoming FM conversion (which its LAP variation is yet to be finalised) would also be put on hold due to that same current inquiry, given that the Shoalhaven region (which 2ST’s licence area covers) was also badly affected by the bushfires last summer.

3 Likes