AM To FM Conversions

If there’s spectrum for it, maybe. But in the case of Canberra, that boat has sailed at least 20 years ago, as the FM band is now full, and that’s the way SCA/ARN likes it.

Meanwhile, I could see the likes of 4BU, 4CC, 4RO, 4MK, 4CA & 4GR (Triple M Darling Downs) convert to FM. The first 5 would provide a more effective competition to Triple M in those respective markets. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I really hope they do mate. If those Classic Hit stations were on FM, they would give Triple M a good run for their money. If 4RO and 4CC converted to FM, I would think 4CC would become Star FM and 4RO would adopt the Classic Hits format.

3 Likes

The Tuggeranong retransmissions of 2XX (95.1), SBS (103.1) and 1CMS (107.9) that are yet (AFAIK) to go to air could potentially be made available at Black Mountain if these stations don’t hurry up and activate them. Though stations at Yass and Goulburn would need to be moved for that to happen as well.

Also, 95.1 would be next door to the proposed 2GN translator at Braidwood, which is allocated for 95.3.

2 Likes

Wonder how well smooth gets into in Braidwood?

I can hear Smooth most of the time here in Bungendore so it would get into parts of Braidwood. Will check next time I’m out that way…won’t be any time soon though as I don’t want to risk getting busted by the fuzz (the cops will be all over that road, since it leads to Batemans Bay).

2 Likes

Yeah not this weekend… I remember in Canberra you can get Smooth in parts, I guess it would be less likely in the future.

I think in far South of the ACT you could still get Triple M etc. But around the burbs it can be challenging because of the terrain and the local Canberra stations.

Yes the Canberra suburbs are very lousy for DX, and there’s overload to contend with too as you mention. To pick one example, Snow FM and 2XL are local strength signals in Bungendore but you can barely pick them up in most of Canberra.

DXing wasn’t the main reason I chose Bungendore rather than Canberra- but it’s a nice added bonus.

2 Likes

How is 2GN am? I predict better than 2ca around the same 666 am?

For Sydney fm particularly Nova and Smooth Fm Eaglehalk at Sutton is the absolute limit on my car radio. In normal conditions it is just above the noise floor, with good inland tropo it can be received with a reasonable mono signal.

As we all know Canberra’s location in a valley with hills and mountains on each side of it do a great job of blocking out the neighboring signals. You also have the blow torch on top of Black Mountain to contend with too. Eagle fm is at moderate signal strength at Eaglehalk but as soon as you drive into the ACT and down Northbourne Ave into the city it fades to nothing.

When I have been in Canberra and done a band scan on the Tucson car radio from Mt Ainslie I have received the following catches but all very weak

Eagle Fm
Snow fm
Power fm
Illawarra Nationals
Hit Wagga
Tuggers relays

I actually receive 2XL / Snow fm better driving up the motorway along the side of Mt Gray at Goulburn then in most parts of Canberra.

Sorry my reply is more relevant for the Am / Fm dxing thread if anyone is policing.

4 Likes

My iPad app, radio station now lists 2gn on 107.7 FM. A bit premature right?

2 Likes

The 2GN’s 107.7 listed there came from ACMA, where it has been listed in both its Radio & TV broadcasting stations handbook, as well as its Broadcast Transmitter Data files since mid last year. Weirdly, on both those sources, it has their incoming FM service as transmitting on an Omnidirectional pattern rather than in a Directional pattern as per Goulburn LAP.

With the coronavirus pandemic happening, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FM conversion of 2GN, as well as that for 2EC, 2ST, 2AD & the SA stations, would be pushed back to a later date. In the case of 2GN, the ABC still hasn’t bothered to move RN from 107.7 to 104.5 in Crookwell, making that FM conversion impossible until the latter happens.

2 Likes

What app is that mate?

It’s Radio Guide Australia, which you can find out more about here:
https://radioguide.app/

3 Likes

Thanks so much mate!

1 Like

Why? Unless there is a delay in getting equipment there is no real impediment to continuing the process.

Drops in ad revenue could make financing the change difficult in the current climate.

2 Likes

I wish there was an Android version. I have a pixel 3a for the headphone jack. Can still use iPad, I guess.

Yeah lots of cochannel issues at Crookwell!:grinning:

1 Like

What is the name of the app, do they have an iPhone version?