AM and FM DX

heard a station running a tone this morning on 855khz. A new station perhaps? Was strong & dominant over the ABCs + 3CR.

Also noted Gosford 801khz off air - 5RM received clear on my car radio

The 2XL tower on Polo Flat Rd has been demolished - gone!

3 Likes

I noticed 801 Gosford was off air yesterday, don’t know why or how long it’s been like that? There was a power outage around the site a week or so ago, I never bothered checking to see if was or has been off air since then, until yesterday.

Shame about the 2XL mast, another bit of radio history gone, I never got why they pushed to go FM, they only replaced the AM 918kHz transmitter 3-4 years ago at most, which wouldn’t have been cheap, & likewise for 2GN which is on the cards to do the same.

3 Likes

The land was sold to Snowy Hydro to build a concrete processing plant - hence why the tower & TXer had to go. That’s why the AM - FM conversion was fast tracked.

6 Likes

Given the current economic climate, if building hasn’t yet begun & parts already bought, I wonder if the 2GN conversion will be put off for 12-24 month or indefinitely. I can’t see any networks doing anything unessential, & 2GN being on FM isn’t what I’d call essential.

5 Likes

same for the 2EC conversion. Nothing heard in relation to that.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the ABC has to move its RN Crookwell service from 107.7 to 104.5 before 2GN can convert to FM. From what I can gather on the ABC Reception page set to Crookwell, that hasn’t happened yet.

4 Likes

That’s on hold due to the current inquiry, 2EC and ABC on AM is expected to get a mention as to the value of AM broadcasting during natural disasters.

3 Likes

It depends where the AM transmitter. I wonder if Sydney ABC local radio got converted to FM… Then 702 AM can be redeployed to the south coast? Given Sydney FM transmitters are easily accessible. It will need a “restack” of the FM band to squeeze in ABC Local Radio.

1 Like

When 2EC converts to FM, that will leave 765 free, so no need to move/redeploy 702 ?

2 Likes

Maybe it won’t get to the same reach as 702 ? Although being further south it could cause problems with 3aw on 693 AM.

2 Likes

I personally can’t see 702AM being switched off anytime in the foreseeable future.

5 Likes

also remember that 702khz can’t just be used willy nilly - you have to factor in harmonics that could cause interference to other services - or eg the LW beacons or even HF services (not necessarily radio stations but 2 way comms & radar or data TXers on HF).

Plus there is the additive effect of 702 + 810khz could also cause issues

5 Likes

I wonder if the current bushfire Royal Commission will lead 2EC and 2ST to keep their legacy AM services and simulcast on FM? A precedent has been set with 7SD Scottsdale (and I think 5AU Port Augusta is doing the same?)

4 Likes

5AU will not keep their 1242 AM service, but will keep their 1044 AM service. 5RM & 5CC will also keep their AM service on top of broadcasting on FM.

6 Likes

So it backfired on the canny Scotsmen aka the Cameron family?

They saw FM conversion as a way to save money, close AM infrastructure yet have been forced to retain three AM sites in SA alone.

The greatest sadness for me is the loss of 5MU, wonderful TX site, huge coverage.

Can only hope submissions made to the inquiry see it retained too.

4 Likes

There have been complaints about a lack coverage up around Swan Reach, where they can’t receive 98.7 Power FM, but can get 5MU on 1125

2 Likes

Correct @Radiohead and many other locations the FM service doesn’t cover to the LAP boundary that weren’t submitted,

3 Likes

Thanks for that; couldn’t remember which of the SA stations were keeping their AM on.

4 Likes

had to go to Fyshwick (Canberra) this morning -

noted 2SBS Sydney 97.7 mixed with Snow FM (can’t hear this Sydney outlet from home :slight_smile:
Bathurst 99.3 & 100.9
Griffith 99.7 & 100.5
Katoomba The Edge 96.1
88.0 CRI in Canberra was just carrier

Could hear Albury / Wodonga 104.1 quite clear on the bridge near the Numeralla River (near Bredbo)

5 Likes

It’s been o/c all year. 87.8 still has the test loop of ‘Canberra Visitor Radio’ which mixes heavily with UCFM. I only hear a weak UCFM here in Bungendore. The CRI carrier can only be heard on the hilltops.

4 Likes