AM To FM Conversions

How is 2GN am? I predict better than 2ca around the same 666 am?

For Sydney fm particularly Nova and Smooth Fm Eaglehalk at Sutton is the absolute limit on my car radio. In normal conditions it is just above the noise floor, with good inland tropo it can be received with a reasonable mono signal.

As we all know Canberra’s location in a valley with hills and mountains on each side of it do a great job of blocking out the neighboring signals. You also have the blow torch on top of Black Mountain to contend with too. Eagle fm is at moderate signal strength at Eaglehalk but as soon as you drive into the ACT and down Northbourne Ave into the city it fades to nothing.

When I have been in Canberra and done a band scan on the Tucson car radio from Mt Ainslie I have received the following catches but all very weak

Eagle Fm
Snow fm
Power fm
Illawarra Nationals
Hit Wagga
Tuggers relays

I actually receive 2XL / Snow fm better driving up the motorway along the side of Mt Gray at Goulburn then in most parts of Canberra.

Sorry my reply is more relevant for the Am / Fm dxing thread if anyone is policing.

4 Likes

My iPad app, radio station now lists 2gn on 107.7 FM. A bit premature right?

2 Likes

The 2GN’s 107.7 listed there came from ACMA, where it has been listed in both its Radio & TV broadcasting stations handbook, as well as its Broadcast Transmitter Data files since mid last year. Weirdly, on both those sources, it has their incoming FM service as transmitting on an Omnidirectional pattern rather than in a Directional pattern as per Goulburn LAP.

With the coronavirus pandemic happening, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FM conversion of 2GN, as well as that for 2EC, 2ST, 2AD & the SA stations, would be pushed back to a later date. In the case of 2GN, the ABC still hasn’t bothered to move RN from 107.7 to 104.5 in Crookwell, making that FM conversion impossible until the latter happens.

2 Likes

What app is that mate?

It’s Radio Guide Australia, which you can find out more about here:
https://radioguide.app/

3 Likes

Thanks so much mate!

1 Like

Why? Unless there is a delay in getting equipment there is no real impediment to continuing the process.

Drops in ad revenue could make financing the change difficult in the current climate.

2 Likes

I wish there was an Android version. I have a pixel 3a for the headphone jack. Can still use iPad, I guess.

Yeah lots of cochannel issues at Crookwell!:grinning:

1 Like

What is the name of the app, do they have an iPhone version?

Yes, there’s also an iPhone version.

According to ACMA’s Draft Five-Year Spectrum Outlook 2020-24, which was released today:

2 Likes

Billy will be a busy boy.

And so will the techs :grinning:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to hear the Supernetwork regionals in glorious FM mono.

4 Likes

Very Interesting and I would assume that Directional Antennas on Mt Dowe would be used for the Conversions of 2MO (to the south) and 2VM (to the north)

2 Likes

I think @gordo92 said 2AD 94.3 will be stereo, so I imagine other stations will follow suit. The 2BS FM mono situation (if still the case) was inherited from Bathurst Broadcasters.

And I believe there are plans to make the Super Network AM satellite feed stereo too?

2SM DAB is only Stereo for the Sydney programs… Anything from 2HD is mono. For example, I can hear Talkin’ sport and John Laws in stereo.

1 Like