AM and FM DX

Just out of interest, what FM tuner software is TV Cynic using in those caps? :slight_smile:

1 Like

FDM-SW2 - it is provided with an Elad tuner. I haven’t had it for very long so not using it to full potential.

3 Likes

Flow FM 99.3 from Streaky Bay just appeared with a clear signal though it IDed as Ceduna 106.1

1 Like

Hi TV.Cynic. I do know from listening to Flow FM in recent times that they do announce every 20-25minutes or so one of their numerous frequencies & corresponding locations/service areas. So you just happened to have heard the announcement for Ceduna 106.1 FM whilst listening to 99.3FM.

BTW I was looking at the noise floor (eg -115dBm at 91.3MHz) on your FDM-SW2 spectrum display; are you using a dedicated FM antenna or something more broadband or TV antenna?

Nice signal captures & beautiful display BTW.

Yes - the noise floor from that FM antenna set up is high (and always annoys me) as it is paired with a UHF antenna for Gold Coast TV. I last week changed amps to try to reduce it but the noise floor remained the same but reception overall is better. I have a second NW facing FM antenna on its own with a lower noise floor.

Hobart and Devonport received then later Batemans Bay / Bega / Cooma including Power FM 103.5 with partial RDS.

1 Like

I think you meant 102.5, as 103.5 is ABC South East from Batemans Bay, which I’m sure you’ve received as well.

Oops, Yes it was 102.5 Po FM :slight_smile: Yes 2BA on 103.5 was received.

Strong Melbourne signals into Queensland at the moment.

1 Like

Anyone know of a Station with the PI as 1B2A running on 90.1?

KIX Country coming in on 89.3 From Geelong as well as ABC Central Victoria and JJJ Bendigo coming in quite good.

1 Like

On holidays at Port Stephens, enhancnents from Sydney and Wollongong coming into Salamander Bay.

At 5pm Smooth and Nova were both seeking on car stereo. i98 over Power Fm which is permanent reception at this location.
Central Coast Fm slightly enhanced which is also permanent reception at this location.

With ducting from the Illawarra occurring at this location I can see how the input signal for digital tv from Mt Sugaloaf, and rebroadcasted from Gan Gan Hill was affected in the past.

1 Like

Will be doing some DXing shortly, but yes, the Illawarra ducting has caused me to lose the local Mt Sugarloaf TV again, so watching Central Coast UHF at the moment on the rabbit ears, as Sydney TV is also a bit unstable here right now (usually pretty good).

1 Like

Here is my current view…

Kix is a first but note the whole bunch of noise on the TCP feed (Network) that’s caused by a Networking switch nearby

2 Likes

Nice view too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And not even using up all of the CPU too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Strong Es in Launceston for the last hour or so

97.3 Brisbane, River949, Triple M Brisbane, 101.9 Fraser coast, 100.7 Toowoomba, 104.7 Rockhampton, 107.9 Rockhampton… and the furthest 98.7 Triple M mackay… almost enough signal for RDS

2 Likes

My “view” is very unsophisticated …

As I live in an apartment, external Yagis are kind of out of the question.

However, I rely on elevation at 140M ASL, being on a hill and 6 floors up with an excellent line of sight to the south in particular.

The above shot is my current reading of Triple M Sydney, which is pretty typical reception being 105km LOS to Artarmon… At 41db signal strength and 37db SNR.

3 Likes

List of New Caledonia stations I noted this morning (names based on previous logs/internet lists)

17/01/2018
89.0 Nouvelle-CalÊdonie 1ère
90.0 Nouvelle-CalÊdonie 1ère
91.5 Radio Outre-mer 1ère
93.0 France Inter
93.5 NRJ
95.0 Radio OcĂŠane FM
96.0 Radio Djiido
100.0 Radio Rythme Bleu
100.4 Radio Rythme Bleu
102.0 Radio Djiido

There are several other stations possible, but these proved impossible with the local stations in Brisbane. As it was a couple of the above were a challenge e.g.102.0 that is between 4ZZZ on 102.1 and hit101.9.

RDS for 1ERE and Inter; 1ERE has scrolling name field.

2 Likes

Ok, better than average reception here tonight, though there was some instability with Sydney high power stations.

I did log the following which are not uncommon at this time of year.

91.7 2ST Jervis Bay
92.7 2BAB ST Georges Basin
101.5 Triple J Canberra (in a null of 2GLA Forster)
101.9 ABC Classic Batemans Bay
102.3 ABC Classic Canberra
103.5 2BA Batemans Bay
103.9 ABC News Radio Canberra

Most notable was 101.1 KIX Country Nowra over 2LT Katoomba.

EDIT: ABC News Radio Bega 89.7 now making an appearance! No other ABCs from that region yet.

2 Likes

Typo corrected.

…and tropo expected to become quite intense on the NSW coast over the next few days (during tropo hours) according to the Hepburn tropo maps. Ionogram still showing SpE cloud over Sydney & Brisbane-unusual for this time in evening, but not uncommon.
Receiving ABC’s from Taree, 2BA + 2ABCFM Batemans Bay & 103.7 SkySports Radio Nowra.
A little later also 100.9 SkySports Radio - Bathurst

1 Like

I’m currently getting hit102.3 & 92.7 Sky Sports Radio from Port Macquarie, as well as 97.9 ABC Classic FM from Coffs Harbour (couldn’t get others from there such as 91.5 JJJ & 92.3 ABC Coffs Coast) quite well. I’m also getting a faint 93.5 2PM Port Macquarie translator service underneath an equally faint Eagle FM Goulburn, along with 2WAY 103.9 (with ABC Newsradio from Canberra cutting in), as well as hit105.1 & 106.7 Triple M from Kempsey.

I couldn’t get 100.7 Triple M from Port Macquarie due to WOW Penrith.

2 Likes