AM and FM DX

I’m receiving that station in this location. The signal isn’t as good as Hit FM 102.3, but still good enough to clearly hear a “The Mid North Coast’s Triple M” sweeper! :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Caledonia is back this morning.

Looking back at yesterday was able to ID some stations. 2BS was briefly received on 88.1 and commercial station on 95.7 was hit104.9 low power relay. Vision FM Bairnesdale on 97.5 a bit unusual.

Still haven’t IDed a Polynesian language station on 88.9 received from the north.

2 Likes

Meanwhile. Bay 93.9 has depressed this morning.

Over on the Mt Alexander. triple j Bendigo and Local Radio are coming in not too bad…

1 Like

Can you post a video of your reception of the Polynesian language station on 88.9 FM?
Nothing comes to mind re 88.9MHz, but I’m not too bad with language recognition.
Date & time of reception & approx QTH region & propagation mode would all help but no guarantees.
Also listing of dx stations coming in at time. All ‘might’ help with tracking that station down…

I’ll see what I can do, thanks.

Another unid this morning with a Christian station coming in over the top of 90.0 Noumea for extended periods.

Later Airlie Beach on 89.9 then multiple Cairns North stations including Triple M with RDS. Also 4AM Ravenshoe with Superradio show and ID alternating with an unlisted 4JJJ outlet. Townsville also coming in.

Most likely Laef FM from Port Vila Vanuatu.

2 Likes

Yes that would fit. Well done.
FYI

But vcbn Website: non functional.

I don’t really partake in DXing so thought it was pretty cool to be getting what I thought was Magic 931 (Riverland) in Adelaide earlier

Turns out it was hit FM Riverina

1 Like

Thanks - I had thought that but their stream is off-line and all other frequencies from Port Vila are blocked here or were not received.

Question - during today’s opening to Central and North Queensland, when looking up a JJJ station on 91.3 I came across “4ABCGS Dawson Mine Retransmission” which was the only thing that seems a possibility. There are two 6ABCGS at WA mines. Any idea about the call signs?

Hi TV.Cynic,

I remember coming across these unusual ABC callsigns once before & it just dawned on me now what it is.
ABCGS = ABC GrandStand, as in the ABC Digital Radio Service (DAB+) or their online service; most likely feed from satellite.
So content should be sport.

2 Likes

That said these mining stations prefixes don’t always match what content the techs should have on them.

A look at the ACMA records reveals that they have 3 FM txers. On one of these outlets they’re supposed to have Triple J; namely on 92.1MHz. Maybe the Triple J service is actually on 91.3MHz. A drive there or phone call/email should reveal the actual status. Give the techs at the mine site a call & they’ll often swap the program feed cables to the FM transmitters so that the content matches the ACMA records.

1 Like

Yes - that’s what I was thinking that the feeds are fixed up. The other call sign used is ABCCT. Another site I noticed today that may be the same is Carmila.

ABC Classic Two?

Edit: more likely ABC Country now that I think about it

2 Likes

Country?

2 Likes

Coincidentally on the flip side, I happened to be sitting in the car at Port Macquarie at that same time and got C91.3 and the WS repeater on 88.3. 2MCR would have been possible also but was blocked by 2RE

Sydney and Illawarra were putting up a decent signal also including i98 which is regularly heard as far up the coast as South West Rocks during summer tropo.

A couple of hours earlier at the same location there was a decent E opening to Vic and SA with a stack of Flow fm stations plus Horsham, Griffith and Magic Renmark and SBS Melbourne in a tussle for 93.1. Nova Adelaide and Melbourne Gold 1043 also noted. All this in about 10minutes of listening time.
Just at the end I caught something on 90.0 that said ‘the rock’ or similar so something from across the ditch but unfortunately I couldn’t hang around to listen after that.

4 Likes

Country was on Digital IIRC.

You mean ABC Classical FM aka ABCFM?

We’re wondering what stations like this on the AACMA list carry

Dawson Mine 4ABCCT 90.5
Dawson Mine 4ABCGS 91.3
Leonora 6ABCCT 93.7

as opposed to JJJ, ABCFM, ABCRN and ABCRR call signs

1 Like

Hi TV.Cynic.

Yes I’m sure CT is country from memory. I thought after my previous post I should have mentioned that.

There’s also:
6ABCCT Leonora 93.7
6ABCCT Newman Area C Mine 96.7
6ABCCT Solomon Mining Area 1 105.9
6ABCCT Solomon Mining Area 2 99.5

and Solomon Mining also have a 6SBSCH.
I could only imagine that it must be a rebroadcast of SBS Chill (from their DAB+, streaming service)

All these changes keeps us on our toes.
I only became aware of the new callsigns/services around Oct 2017.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I think you’re right with CT meaning ABC Country and GS for Grandstand .

Meanwhile, most Sydney community stations being received in stereo, with RDS making a rare appearance on Alive 90.5. Though 2BAC is notably absent.

Sydney FM commercials belting in, with Triple M hitting 56db on the Teccy.

RDS also on 91.7 2ST. Faint ABC reception of Batemans Bay stations but nothing much else to report.

2 Likes

In this location of Sydney, tonight’s tropo reception seems to be more Newcastle/Central Coast/Illawarra focused. None of the Mid North Coast reception (not even the ABCs) that came in last night.

2 Likes