AM and FM DX

I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to be discussing LPON transmitters; there was (is?) a ‘Narrowcast Radio’ thread that didn’t see much traffic, admittedly. The DX thread should be reserved for unusual, long distance reception of AM/FM/SW stations (including LPONs) :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I’m in Coonabarabran tonight. WS FM was heard strongly via As from Siding Springs Observatory; 95.7 and 97.3 Illawarra also faded up briefly. 2WEB’s Coonamble translator on 91.1 MHz was well received, as was the Hit Dubbo repeater at Gilgandra on 101.3 MHz. There was a new discovery on 103.9 MHz: a repeater for ABC Local Radio at Moolarben Coal Mine near Ulan (EIRP= 15 watts). This was in at fairly good levels around Gulgong.

Both 2MO and 2GGG have repeaters at Coonabarabran, on 103.3 and 104.1 respectively. 2GGG has developed a fault- the audio was almost unlistenable with horrible buzzing on both 97.5 and 104.1.

I will upload the full bandscan from Sidings Springs at a later date. My Holden Astra Blaupunkt head unit coped very well with the nearby Cenn-Cruaich blowtorches; the tx is visible from the observatory. The Tecsun PL-390 didn’t fare so well- a fair bit of desensitivity was noted.

1 Like

How was the signal for NOW FM 98.3 ??? And I’ve just seen this is post 983… how did that happen ?

1 Like

Excellent, as always. It’s listenable from about Mendooran all the way to probably Tenterfield (I switched to the Rebel at Glen Innes). I got my first look at the Mighty Mount Dowe tx driving into Narrabri and then out on the Killarney Gap Road.

Were you responsible for playing the Hoodoo Gurus- Tojo this morning? I have NEVER heard that on commercial radio- what a great selection. The general music mix was also far superior to the standard BOG log (which befits that name).

I’m in Stanthorpe tonight- one of the most over-served towns in Australia for radio (up there with Walgett and Lightning Ridge). We have:

87.6 Vision
88.0 Seventh Day Adventist Radio (I think)
90.1 The Breeze
91.5 4WK
93.1 TAB
97.1 Rebel FM
97.9 Hit Toowoomba
98.7 2TEN FM
99.5 4AK
100.3 4GR “Triple M” Darling Downs Syndrome

…and mixing products and IMD on most of the unused “Melbourne” channels (95.5, 96.3, 101.1, etc.)

The major ABC outlets for the Southern Downs are also just up the road, I think.

2 Likes

Though NOW is very poor east - north east of Tamworth due to Bald Hills and Moonbi Range and doesn’t improve much until Uralla and then dips again in Armidale.

And yes the Southern Downs ABCs are up on Passchendaele Ridge, just north of Stanthorpe.

Yes NOW’s Music log is my work (6am to 6pm) weekdays. I do drive & I’m always walking a tightrope between keeping it modern whilst trying to keep some music credibility in the radio station

1 Like

2NOW has an ERP or 100,000 Watts (Vertical) North & West of Mt Dowe whilst it’s limited to around 800 Watts to the South & East.

1 Like

It still gets into Gunnedah pretty well, almost as well as GGG.

I’m in Cane Toad City (Indooroopilly, home of an ex-MS mod) for the next three nights. At the tourist trap lookout atop Toowoomba’s escarpment, I had near perfect reception from Brisbane DAB+. I didn’t go west of Toowoomba to confirm it, but I reckon it could go a little further west than Toowoomba, particularly given some tropo enhancement. I will survey north (Scumshine Coast) and south (Byron Bay) on subsequent days.

There was some minor tropo towards the SW from Stanthorpe this morning; all Mount Dowe nationals were coming it at good levels in the motel room (there was no signal on 96.7 the previous evening). Tropo levels to the north are unfortunately poor; 4JJJ Wide Bay was briefly heard descending from the Granite Belt just outside Warwick. I planned to linger awhile at Mount Glorious but was railroaded by severe hazard reduction smoke, making a stop there unpleasant.

1 Like

I went up Mount Co-otha (‘Cooties’) this morning; the Astra car radio handled the blowtorches in an exemplary manner. It helps that the main tourist trap lookout is on a different ridge to the txs. Highlights from there include:

• “88.2 FM”- a pirate tx which emanates from somewhere south/south-west of Brisbane. I suspect Logan, Beaudesert, or the western suburbs of the Cold Ghost. This has been received on several occasions at Cooma via E-skip. The format is oldies/classic hits.
  • 88.0 was a mess of stations, one of which featured bird noises and nothing else.
  • Coffs Harbour (Mount Moombil) stations at fair levels. 99.5 audible next to strong 4RBL Cold Ghost.
  • 88.9 Coraki very strong.
  • 100.9 ZZZ Lismore very strong.
  • Scumshine Coast txs very strong.
  • Warwick/Toowoomba strong, incl. 100.7 next to 4BRZ 100.6.

The full bandscan will be uploaded to BoobTube in due course.

The afternoon was spent tootling around the Brisbane CBD and Wynnum by public transport; I gave my car (and myself) a well-earned break. It’s off to the Scumshine Coast tomorrow.

2 Likes

I just got back from the Scumshine Coast/Bribie Island. Here are my ‘trail notes’:

• I forgot to check DAB+ (!), however, analogue signals from Mount Cooties were exceptionally strong around Maleny, so no doubt it would have been there at good levels.
  • DX (north): 103.1 Rockhampton in at good levels at times about the peaks of Mount Mee. Bundaberg and Fraser Coast FM were also received. Fraser Coast FM was also fairly good at Bribie Island, but nothing from further north. I keep forgetting the coastline veers westward the further north you go in QLD- I’m used to the opposite in the Cockroach State. Even Brisbane-Rockhampton is an inland path.
  • DX (south): 96.3/97.1 Taree at weak levels via Ts/As from Macarthy’s Lookout, Maleny. This site has a superb view south over the Glasshouse Mountains; Mount Cooties may have been visible but for a little HR burn haze. Coffs and Grafton FM in at various locations. 99.9 Bay FM from Hippieville also noted from Macarthy’s (full video to follow).
  • DX (west): Toowoomba, Kingaroy FM fairly good throughout the Blackall Range and plateau.
  • DX (AM): 1570 (Hawaii) and 1580 (presumed KBLA) at weak levels from Woorim at sunset, using the Tecsun 390+ 65 cm PK Loop.

I’m heading back to the Losing State (of Origin) tomorrow, staying at Ballina and then Coffs over the weekend.

3 Likes

Anything from Wide area - 99.3/100.1 or Mt Dowe 99.1/99.9 from Mt Coot-tha?

Yes- Maryborough was strong at various points- virtually a local signal in the northern half of the Scumshine Coast. Mt. Dowe was weak at Mount Mee; I can’t recall if I received it at Cooties (will check my video).

The pirate on 88.2 probably originates from either Logan or Beaudesert- he was very strong at times on the Beaudesert Road (first heard at the Logan Mwy junction). He then mysteriously went off air as I approached Beaudesert- he might be reading this forum! BBC style time pips were noted at 1000, followed by a male ID “you’re listening to 88.2 FM”. The music mix was all over the place- reminiscent of an iPod on shuffle.

I’m back in the cockroach state tonight (Ballina). I visited Nimbin on the way down- 2NIM FM (102.3) was strong from about Kyogle and faded just before Bangalow. I was fortunate to catch them on video with typical stoner rant programming; video to follow.

2 Likes

I’m in Coffs Harbour tonight visiting an occasional MS lurker. I arrived via Hippie Bay, Ballina and Yam-baaah. The main radio highlight of the day was getting a serendipitous tour of 2TLC FM Yamba/Maclean, thanks to a couple of accommodating presenters. The studio and transmitter are located on the water tower near the Yamba lighthouse (Pilot St). From Yamba, Brisbane FM was still in well via As, and, to the south, I think I had Coonabarabran on 102.3 (music didn’t match Hit Port Mac, and NIM FM doesn’t reach even Ballina).

We tried MW DX from Woolgoolga (‘Woopi’) Headland; results were good with fair signals of KUAU Hawaii (1570), and KBLA Santa Monica (1580). There was also an UNID music station at fairly good levels on 1580 kHz. The highlight, though, was brief reception of 1100 KFAX San Francisco, featuring a male preacher //to web stream.

3 Likes

New Caledonia now into Brisbane on multiple frequencies.

Including 91.5 with RDS = NC 1ERE

Others 89.0, 90,0, 93.5, 96,0, 97.0, 97,5, 98.5, 100.0, 102.5

5 Likes

Caught yesterday from Dungog clear on the car radio! A freak opening for this time of year.

2 Likes

Slow internet connection, what is it without needing click the link?

The opening to Noumea - video of reception on car radio; many of the frequencies the same as posted above.

1 Like

Good catch.

I was driving around Lake Macquarie yesterday (Warners Bay to Belmont area for those who know), & got some pretty severe interference on 96.3 CoastFM at a place where I’ve never had interference before. It only lasted about 100m & was gone before I could identify what it was, it grabbed my attention, but I couldn’t loopback around & stop to investigate.

Then about 10pm last night I get a call from a jock who was at home listening (around Toukley), he said the stations got problems at the studio.
I call the studio, no problems, check the transmitter monitors & alarms no problem, checked the web stream, all clear, turned on my radio here at Floraville/Belmont North & it was just a garbled mess, it’s all clear again today, so I’m assuming we got hit with some pretty strong New Caledonian E’s, seeing as this video clearly shows it around this part of the country & strong on 96.0 too.

I think there is a New Caledonian on 96.2 (Djiido?), so that might have been the culprit. I didn’t get anything on there yesterday, though. All the Noumea majors up to 97.4 were received per the video. 88.5 RFO was also in at times though not captured.

1 Like