AM and FM DX

JJJ Taree is normally the culprit, particularly in summer, and I think is the reason for why Coast FM has been considering a change of frequency and/or transmitter site (any update on that, by the way?).

You don’t think that was it?

Tropo has been as dead as the proverbial lately due to persistent dry westerly winds, which were in full effect on Tuesday. I’m not sure if the Es rebuilt at 10 PM, though; it’s rare to hear New Caledonia at that late hour even during the summer months (even 1500-1540 was pretty late).

While we’re on the subject of Central Coast community stations, 97.3 Lake Macquarie FM gets out a lot better these days. As Radiohead and others have no doubt noticed, the coverage across Newcastle/Maitland is great. On the F3, it was bossing the frequency as far south as the Somersby interchange; the T-Rex from Knights Hill took charge thereafter. Lake Macquarie FM was clear on the big hill on the southern (Brooklyn) side of the Hawkesbury River, though. All this explains why Lake Mac can be heard at Acacia Road, Sutherland during moderate tropo enhancement.

1 Like

Yes, Lake Mac FM’s signal is much better since the transmitter was moved a few hundred metres up the Pacific Highway after the bushfires around Frazer Park / Crangan Bay wiped out a lot of vegetation in 2015 (I think).

No it wasn’t Triple J Taree.
Tropo of the J’s affects the central coast over summer, but affects CoastFM reception around Lake Macquarie/Newcastle 365 days a year, I’ve pretty much found all the J’s interference spots around, & I know what the level of the interference normally is, & what it normally sounds like & this wasn’t it.
The spot where I got interference the other day while driving, I’ve never had interference from the J’s, even on a strong tropo day.

Regarding the TX site move & frequency change, it’s on hold at the moment, we’ve had some issues coming to an agreement with Telstra for access to their site, but now it looks like we have to move/build new studios, so funds & time will go into that first, but if we can do both together we will?

1 Like

There was a bit of tropo in Sydney last night. I didn’t have time to do a proper log, but I was getting the Orange stations on the car radio.

1 Like

I suspected as much last night, with the SFN wrecking a bit of havoc with my Central Coast UHF TV reception.

Didn’t check the radio.

What set of channels? Both metro and NNSW?

What Central Coast site and where is the location the interfering channels originate?

Normally, I get the Wyong signals quite reliably, perhaps mixing a little with Bouddi, since they are both vertically polarized. But when there’s some enhancement about, those signals go missing.

I suspect Gosford and/or Sydney South West, which are both horizontal, are interfering with it. This happens with Prime7 and NBN as well, so I suspect Gosford is the main culprit. Only SC10 (WIN) is unaffected, only because it’s not on air at either Gosford or Bouddi.

I am 53 kms north of the Wyong site as the crow flies, and I am 140 m ASL with a clear line of sight (I can see the TX site with a pair of binoculars on a clear day). Because I am on a 6th floor apartment, I have to rely on a indoor antenna for this.

Some enhancement in SEQ around last night - with Rockhampton received and this morning with Mt Dowe ABCs coming in.

1 Like

Not really DX, but I did receive the 91.7 JJJ Hebden/Ravensworth (midway Muswellbrook & Singleton) mining Tx on highway on the big hill part of East Maitland today.

A bit of enhancement about today with the warm-ish winter weather we have been having in NSW.

Got Wollongong ABCs at same strength as Sydney stations, even weak 2ST from Huskisson and ABC News Radio from Canberra.

1 Like

Enhancement here again this morning in Stanhope Gardens.

I have made some adjustments to my Fm antenna so the omni now gets better reception from the north / south and east directions.

Coast Fm receivable with RDS on 96.35mhz.
The Edge smashes it on 96.3
Newcastle nationals in stereo.
2NUR weak, New Fm and KO just above Kix and Vox from Wollongong.

98.7 Classic Fm from Taree at normal strength.

Just seems a very weak duct between Sydney and Newcastle which would explain the enhancement of Central Coast and Newcastle Fm stations only.

I’ve noticed a blank carrier on 89.1 in Brisbane over the last week. It has now appeared on RadCom as a 10w temporary narrowcast licence held by Triple M and broadcasting from Southbank for 23-30 Sep. I’m thinking it might be a broadcast associated with RiverFire.

There is also supposed to be a narrowcast station on air now on 89.9 for the RNA show.

3 Likes

Received today in Brisbane 88.1 country music, 88.3 right wing US talk show. Seem to be semi-local but with some fading - not on the Radcom database.

1 Like

Can any of you SEQ’ers receive this pirate on 88.2 MHz? It is most likely transmitting from outer southern Brisbane, perhaps Beenleigh or Beaudesert. The pirate lowered his mainsail just as I was approaching Beaudesert on August 4, so is likely on intermittently. It has also been received in Cooma via E-skip.

1 Like

I haven’t received 88.2.

Further to 88.3 - it seems to be non-stop relay of some alt-right US radio commentary. I could receive it in the car today clearly at Cannon Hill and Carindale, but moving east it was gone by the Gateway, so a very rapid drop off.

Some enhancement here into Newcastle tonight.

Wollongong ABCs except 97.3 in clearly, Wave FM seemingly also, except no RDS, which tells me that 2CHR is underneath it just enough the upset the RDS decoder.

Though ABC Illawarra is having a hard time getting past Lake Macquarie FM, tonight I can only get ABC in a few dead spots of Lake Mac FM, and then not very clearly.

Rockhampton coming into Brisbane this morning, not just ABC high powers. Right down to 50 w ABCRR Miriam Vale.

1 Like

If and when time permits, I’d recommend a jaunt to Mount Mee when conditions from Rocky are ripe. I was able to copy a strong 103.1 (RN) in very flat conditions back at the start of August. A coffee and slice at the Dayboro bakery to break up the journey is worth it, too.

Not surprised that 103.1 RN comes in strong there - the slightest enhancement and it makes it into Brisbane.

1 Like