AM and FM DX

Because it usually is. I shake my head at the poor attention to detail of engineering in Goulburn every time I drive through. Lot of harmonics and other RF rubbish from Mt Gray as well. Very poorly done.

1 Like

I agree, it has a horrible sound on air with severe distortion on voice!

Don’t get me started on their RDS and the dynamic PS. Try saving them as a preset on your stereo and the station ID is one word of the message about their breakfast host.

1 Like

Indeed. I’d hate to be a DXer in the city of the Big Merino. 95.1 MHz features strong IMD from Eagle+TAB (93.5/94.3) and can be heard up to 30 km away on the car radio. IMD also makes reception of Canberra’s Artsound (92.7 MHz) impossible within 5 km of the Goulburn CBD. They will need to get their house in order if 2GN is to convert to FM; 95.1 would probably be the frequency of choice.

For the record, the RDS is “BREKKY WITH BILLY FROM 6 AM ON 93.5 EAGLE FM” or similar.

The problem with that frequency is that it would be too close to 94.9 Power FM from Knights Hill to use for 2GN’s 40kW FM service.

I think the likely outcome of the planned AM-FM swaps between commercial radio and HPONs is for 2GN to swap with SKY.

94.3 should be suitable for use at 40kw.

EDIT: I momentarily forgot about 1WAY 94.3 Tuggeranong… perhaps the solution there is for 1WAY to move to 95.1… given 2XX don’t look like launching their 95.1 repeater in Tuggeranong which has been allocated to them since early 00s

Yes, they would need to restrict the ERP to the E/NE to 1 kW or less, but it’s the only frequency that wouldn’t involve a reshuffling in Tuggeranong. Marulan is the only significant settlement in the Goulburn licence area east of Mt. Gray, so it could be done. With 94.3 there is also the issue of 94.5 Braidwood. I would rather they stay off 95.1, though, because it would kill my reception of NewsRadio Gippsland.

Good point about 94.5 at Braidwood… I forgot about that one too!

Yes, 95.1 would need a null towards the Southern Highlands, and would mean 2XX would lose access to a translator in Tuggeranong, which it doesn’t look like activating anyway.

Whilst in Coffs Harbour earlier today, I did some AM & FM DXing from Coffs Harbour Jetty on the car radio.

Some notables:
AM

• Faint ABC reception from both Sydney and Brisbane on both Local and RN. Brisbane was slightly clearer.
  • Faint 4WK Warwick and 4AK Toowoomba reception, but conversely nothing from Radio 97 Tweed Heads.
  • Only Brisbane commercial I could get was 4TAB, again only faint.

FM

• This was the biggest surprise of all … Faint 4FRB 96.5 and 97.3FM reception from Brisbane, but nothing else from the Canetoad capital on FM.
  • Fair 88.9 2CRC Coraki … quite listenable, that was stronger than 2ZZZ, and River 92.9 was not received at all.
1 Like

Your best bet for DXing in Coffs is Boambee Headland or Bonville Headland down in Sawtell.

2 Likes

Getting back to Goulburn if 2GN was to swap with Sky Sports Radio on 94.3mhz at 40KW it may be possible to co-channel with the Tuggeranong service. When I was driving through Tuggers on the Queens Birthday long weekend there was something broadcasting locally on 93.5 and there was no hint of Eagle Fm underneath. Tropo ducting could be another thing.

If 2GN was to go to 95.1mhz at 40KW with no restrictions, Power Fm should be OK around Bowral and Moss Vale. However as you get closer to the edge of the licence area around Wingello and Bundanoon, Power Fm may start suffering from 2GN if it was on 95.1.

Would 2XL do a frequency swap with Sky Sports Radio too?

Listening to Billy on Eagle Fm reminds me of Poida from Fast Forward!!

1 Like

You should also be able to get River 949 in Coffs with a bit of effort; it’s permanent at the Boambee Head lookout which Mechie mentioned. WS FM and 2MBS may be possible via As/Ts from there as well (though current tropo levels are woeful); you should certainly get 102.1 and 106.1 Newcastle.

1 Like

I see we have KIX in Hamilton Vic 86.7 now!

1 Like

I noticed KIX starting up in Swan Hill about a month ago. Their is local commericals but no news. I was thinking Aceradio must be involved in selling the commericals spots

And in Horsham too according to the KIX website.

1 Like

86.7? Most FM radios can’t tune that low! The only FM radios that can pick up 86.7 would be those bought in Japan as their FM band goes from 76-90 MHz.

Most of these KIX transmitters are either HPONs or Low powered narrowcasters, the transmitters at Hamilton, Horsham and Swan Hill fall under the latter because their transmitters are on a frequency at or below 88 MHz. The KIX transmitters in Deniliquin (1.1kW), Finley, Berrigan, Tocumwal (all 11 watts) and Geelong (260 watts) are on HPON licences.

SDR’s can tune as low as 25 MHz via SDR#

1 Like

Typo; it is 87.6.

4 Likes

Indeed :grinning: what they list on their website for Swan Hill is incorrect, 87.6 FM in Swan Hill is Rete Italia while KIX is on 88FM

1 Like

87.6 here there is all ready a Christian channel here on 88.0 here in Hamilton. 86.7 was a typo sorry! p.s. I don’t know why they have 88.0 on the site there typo :slight_smile: