AM and FM DX

ABC Classic FM still off the air for Darling Downs - Juice FM on the Gold Coast has 107.3 to itself.

1 Like

Currently receiving 88.9 MORE FM from Rodney, which looks like itā€™s not far north of Auckland.

Reception isnā€™t very good, constantly drifts in and out, like every few seconds.

1 Like

No good from here. There is good service from 639.

1 Like

PNG, Indonesia and a lot of the Pacific Islands get into Port Douglas quite well. 4AMā€™s 1422 service is only a few kms away from the town.

A rare mid-winter Sporadic E opening was experienced today. Congratulations on More FM, DK. I caught Auckland and Hamilton up to 106.2 (video).

2 Likes

ABC FM on Darling Downs is back on 107.3 with a lower power but no programming just a mono carrier. Thatā€™s several days now without service.

1 Like

I had a look on the ABC Reception advice page, nothing about 107.3 Classic FM, only 747 ABC Radio is mentioned as having planned maintenance works.

Iā€™m getting a weak relay of Easy Radio (DAB+) on 91.8 MHz aiming WNW (Penrith/Blacktown). Is anyone else picking it up?

Iā€™m not picking it up at my home location near Campbelltown.

Nothing on 91.8 up hereā€¦ wasnā€™t expecting to get it though.

Is VOI on 91.6 transmitting a blank? Still seems to be something on 91.6, no audio, but static isnā€™t as prominent as it is on other empty frequencies.

Ever Tried Picking 1314 AM West of Ballarat, Mainly in Colac, Warrnambool, Ararat, Stawell, Terang, Camperdown or Hamilton?

iā€™m currently listening to Triple J on 110.1 MHz (the aircraft band) - there was a request from Moe on it. not bad coming into my house in brisbane

2 Likes

Has Eagle FM Goulburn changed their transmission parameters? I now seem to be able receive it regularly on my car radio in the southern parts of Sydney, though it always sounds distorted for some reason.

1 Like

Quite possibly, even at this time of year, Iately I seem to be able to regularly get faint Eagle FM reception at my place just south of Newcastle.

I donā€™t think they have changed anything. They still transmit from Mt Gray Goulburn at 40KW in an omnidirectional pattern. There has been quite a bit of inland tropo recently with high pressure sitting over us. I can always get it to some degree at my location, either on the car radio, or faintly with enhancement from aircraft splatter, or tropo. I can receive it better on both radios then Power Fm which is only 100km away thank to Rhema Central Coast.

A tale of two low powered signals:

• 91.0 MHz was heard on several nights with movie/TV audio. Could this be audio from the (elusive) Blacktown drive in cinema near Prospect Dam? A fellow DXer and occasional MS contributor kindly drove near the site and we were able to parallel the audio over the phone. This TX barely gets ā€œout the gateā€ on a car radio; receiving it at some 26 km is fairly significant. 92.4 MHz was also operating, but I couldnā€™t receive this transmission.

• The pirate on 91.8 MHz relaying Easy Hits (DAB) is from Revesby. I confirmed this on the car radio this afternoon. Reliable in car reception is only attainable for 1-2 km around the centre of Revesby; I am 8 km away.

3 Likes

Whilst staying in a high rise south facing apartment at Southbank in Melbourne, I discovered something quite surprising.

That I was able to get better daytime AM reception from country VIC and TAS than I could of some Melbourne stations.

Yes, 3RPH (1179), 3EA (1224) and 3EE (1278) * were very hard to get clearly here, presumably because they broadcast from the ā€œotherā€ side of my building, though News Radio 1026 was still okay. I could get 3GG Warragul, 7SD Scottsdale and 7BU Burnie more clearly than the above 3 stationsā€¦

-* On the subject of 1278, memo to the Age Green Guide (which I still find to be a great read), but the station isnā€™t and was never known as ā€œMagic 1278 FMā€ (as they still have listed under ā€œThe Week In Radioā€).

3 Likes

3EE is broadcasted from Lower Plenty, about 10KM NE of Melbourne.

RPH is broadcasted from the same area.

1 Like

Yes, and 3EA is from Craigieburn, again from the ā€œotherā€ side of my building.

Reception of the ABCs, 3AW and 3XY were much better, since I had a better line of sight towards the Delahey/Tarneit areas in the western suburbs.

3XY is Hit and Miss.

Sometimes there is no reception, sometimes there is.

1 Like