AM and FM DX

One of my favourite spots to DX. I’m assuming 89.7 (News) from Brown Mountain was there too, as it’s usually the strongest from that transmitter site. You need a little enhancement to get 2MNO from there; from Gerroa you can also get Snow FM on 97.7 because Sydney can be nulled.

1 Like

Yes, I did receive that too. I just forgot to mention it on my original post. :slight_smile:

Can Power 102.5 from Bega also be received from there as well? (over 2MBS)

I managed to confirm reception of 6BAY/t “Spirit” Morawa on 1512 this evening; it was playing “(Keep Feeling) Fascination” by the Human League which matched the Geraldton stream. I didn’t know Spirit had switched back on their streams; I will have to give them another listen as that track belongs in the Great Songs… thread.

As for Power Bega over 2MBS at Gerroa, it does tend to struggle in normal conditions. One place you can do it (and it’s a tad further north) is the northern side of Wingecarribee Reservoir off Kangaloon Road, about 10 km S of Bowral. A steep embankment effectively nulls signals to the north.

1 Like

That’s a great effort to get 6BAY over Radio National Newcastle!
Whereabouts did you achieve this!
Unfortunately I think 6BAY is moving to FM (104.7) in the Morawa region at some point.

From a suburban house in Marsfield believe it or not. Newcastle was dominant of course; my new 65 cm loop was able to null it enough to hear weak music underneath. A stronger fade-up allowed positive identification. Weak reception of 1570 KUAU Hawaii and 1580 KBLA Santa Monica was also obtained.

1 Like

I thought that 1512 6BAY transmitter was quite powerful?

Fitzroy Falls is another spot where you’ll catch it breaking through 2MBS. Park your car at the right spot at the lookout and you’ll be able to hear Power FM.

I think it’s a 5kw ?

Though the ACMA lists suggest ZERO power, but I think I’ve seen in the LAPs that it’s 705 CMF, which I think is 5,000 watts.

Strong inland tropo tonight into Brisbane from Mt Dowe. ABC stations on 96.7, 99.1, 99.9 and 100.7 in clear static free stereo. Lower powered stations on 91.3, 95.1, 95.9 and 97.5 also received a low levels.

1 Like

confirmed… 99.9 @16dbuv

1 Like

Yes, it’s 5 kW according to the reference list I have (compiled by a MW DXer). I caught it again last night so it’s a fairly regular signal with the aid of a loop.

1 Like

It’s listed in the latest ACMA database as 5kw as well.

1 Like

Thanks, I think that makes it 1 of only 2 commercial AM stations in WA at 5kw (with 6PR at 10kw).
Nearly everything else on AM commercial radio in WA is 2kw.

In the latest list 6BY, 6NA, 6WB and 6TZ Collie are listed as 2.1kw with 6TZ at Margaret River and Bunbury at 2.2kw. These had been listed as 2kw in older lists.

1 Like

Also of note in the new list 2GB 6kw and 2CH 5.1kw

Yes, I don’t understand those variations…
That’s like a lot of the ABC FM ones going from 80kw to 81kw.
Bizarre.

1 Like

Up in Port Douglas. Lovely warm weather. Did not DX yet but got 702 ABC Sydney at night. Real power house.

My local ABC is 649 for Mossman. The ABC local radio on 106.7 FM does not go up far nor does 801 am. I enjoy classic hit 4ca on 846 am. 1422 am the local station 4am is pretty good also. You have triple m on 99.5 FM comes in OK and 88.5.

1 Like

95.5 is the ABC repeater for Cairns North… try that one.

Enhanced inland tropo again tonight and as a bonus a couple of ABC stations seem to be either off air or low power - 107.3 Darling Downs and 106.5 Southern Downs.