AM and FM DX

Listening to the audio it does sound like an Indonesian language & accented broadcast station programming.
The stereo pilot obviously set very high.
That’s about all I can get from the video clips.
I don’t know any Indonesian language to help further sorry.
But catch well worth investigating further.

The noise floor level of your SDRPlay & rx set up looks similar to SDR-RTL noise floor levels at around -55dBFS, seams high for this SDR, but obviously good enough to bring in distant dx. There’s some RFI showing on the spectrum that could be investigated in your shack.

Good luck with a speedy recovery from Xi’s CV19 disease.

1 Like

Pretty similar coverage area to Eagle fm towards Sydney.

2RN Goulburn gives a reasonable idea of the signal of GNFM towards Sydney.
RN is 4KW OD while GN fm is 2KW directional towards Sydney.

Here at Stanhope Gardens when Eagle fm is received at moderate strengths on the car radio RN Goulburn will be received at weak levels.
I need a more decent lift to get 2KY Goulburn so GN fm would be in between the two if Triple M CC was not blocking it.

2 Likes

Yep same as GN too. Yass to Mittagong.

@Ant5476 Hambeldon Rd near Bali dr is a spot where GN sometimes pokes through 2GO with tropo. Only had it over once but with tropo often casues CCI

3 Likes

I came across this unhelpful one in Milbrodale (Putty Rd)

Theres also one at the very southern end of the Kamilaroi Hwy for southbound traffic that says 99.1

6 Likes

That is unhelpful, unless you have your receiver set to US 10kHz spacing you couldn’t even tune to that frequency, let alone receive ABC Newcastle on 1233 on it.

4 Likes

Do you know the exact spot?
I drive down this road quite a bit.

I have only tried at the water tower at Acacia Gardens but 2GGO has always been too strong,. I have had severe CCI at best

2 Likes

1224 2RPH can be received okay out that way… that would confuse a lot of people!

Funny how they get such basic details wrong.

4 Likes

Honestly - you had one job!

6 Likes

I’m guessing the whole process of making and installing the signs is totally outsourced… no checking even done by the ABC or anyone to make sure the sign is correct / meets standards.

6 Likes

I think next I’ll tee up a few web streams for 7PM this Sunday, just to see who has music vs talk vs religion. I will get a map going using dxnerds Java / Yogyakarta location suggestion and AsiaWaves station lists. And I guess we have our understand of how coastal radio propagation works here in Australia. Ie, closest to the coast gets out the best. I might eventually email some audio clips if I can narrow things down to 2 or 3 stations.

I’ll check that out, thanks. I’m not sure if it’s normal behavior but the noise floor auto scales. Tuning to a strong station puts the noise floor at the bottom of the window and reads -67dBFS - using same gain settings. Maybe a quirk of using SDR# in server mode.

As for the RFI on the waterfall - I now must confess to breaking radio listening rule number 1. Antenna, antenna, antenna. I got my antenna for free. It’s an old Band 2 TV antenna headed for the scrap bin. Hey, we have 1000s of these antennas unused here in Bunbury! It would be over 30 years old and no doubt have some corrosion that the modern day SDR radio can see. My other theory is my long ethernet cable may need to be upgraded to shielded, to reduce RFI.

2 Likes

Definitely worth doing. When I replaced ALL of my CAT 5 ethernet cables connected to my router to CAT 6A shielded cables my spectrum viewed RFI dramatically disappeared or dropped. There’s a CAT standard that both shields the individual twisted pairs & all the pairs as an outer shield within the cable.
I’ve upgraded all my Ethernet cables from this company.

2 Likes

Best chance if you stop at the Bali dr lights heading south. Most likely of a morning. I’d only bother checking if Eagle is nice and strong.

2 Likes

As others have mentioned, you guys in Sydney now have 97.9 RN as a marker for strong Southern Tablelands tropo. RN should be weaker than Eagle. You might also try for 2BRW 88.9 if GN 107.7 can poke through 2GO/Triple M.

There is a shallow easterly change tonight so there could be some tropo about tonight and early tomorrow morning before the heatwave continues.

1 Like

Some enhancement to the north in Brisbane. Will try to do a video band scan. Noticed that 4MBS id off air.

2 Likes

Here is the band scan with antenna pointed north for a roughly medium level troppo opening. Includes low power ABC at Miriam Vale 88.3, 88.9, Yeppoon 91.3, ABC’s from Rockhampton plus 107.9. The two Gladstone commercials plus TAB 94.3. Also you can see JJJ Sunshine Coast just manage to decode RDS. Mackay also incl 98.7. You can see me adjusting the bandwidth to better tune some stations. Some of the labels don’t match stations eg 99.9 is TAB Rockh (not Mt Dowe). 4MBS was off air at the time.

3 Likes

That is 1 packed band! I like it. What sort of radio to you use?

1 Like

Radio is Elad FDM S2.

Troppo opening tonight is a typical one from the north into Brisbane at moderate level. Also received Wide Bay VHF TV.

2 Likes

Nice!

I have come here to report 10km ‘DX’ tonight in Bunbury on 105.3. Coming from from this weekends’ Bumper N Beats car festive carpark movie in the Bunbury CBD. Coming in equal to the 1 watt LPONs in Bunbury but from a lesser location. I’d say this would be a 10 watt station - very adequate to cover a carpark.

3 Likes

Speaking of Tropo and Bandscans, did one at my backyard just then which does include the Tropo catches in bold.
87.6 LPON
88.0 LPON
88.3 WSFM Camden/ABC Classic SWS
88.5 2RRR Ryde
88.7 Triple J Goulburn
88.9 2BRW Braidwood
89.1 2BLU Katoomba/RN SWS
89.5 ABC Classic Goulburn
89.7 Newsradio Bega/Cooma
89.9 ABC Riverina SWS
90.3 ABC Local Goulburn
90.5 Alive 90.5 Parramatta
90.7 Triple J SWS
90.9 Newsradio Illawarra
91.1 1CMS Canberra
91.3 C91.3 Campbelltown
91.5 Newsradio SWS
91.7 2ST Nowra
91.9 1WAY FM Canberra
92.1 2MFM Sydney
92.5 Music FM Moss Vale (Blank Carrier)
92.7 Artsound FM Canberra
92.9 ABC Classic Sydney
93.3 RPH Wollongong/Station playing music either Radio 5-0 Gosford or Monaro FM
93.5 Eagle FM Goulburn
93.7 Koori FM Sydney
94.1 Pulse FM Wollongong
94.3 2KY Goulburn
94.5 FBI Sydney
94.9 Power FM Nowra
95.1 2BS Bathurst
95.3 Smooth FM Sydney
95.5 ABC Mid North Coast Taree (Weak)
95.7 ABC Classic Illawarra
96.1 CADA Katoomba/XLFM Cooma
96.3 Coast FM Gosford/ Triple J Taree
96.5 Wave Fm Wollongong
96.9 Nova Sydney
97.1 RN Taree
97.3 ABC Illawarra
97.7 SBS Radio Sydney/Snow Fm Cooma
97.9 RN Goulburn
98.1 i98 Wollongong
98.3 2XX-FM Canberra
98.5 2OOO FM Sydney
98.7 ABC Classic Taree
98.9 Triple J Illawarra
99.3 2NSB Chatswood/ABC Classic Bega/Cooma
99.5 Move FM Katoomba/TCBL Canberra (Ramadan Starts Next Week)
99.9 SWR FM Blacktown/ Newsradio Goulburn
100.1 Triple J Bega/Cooma
100.3 2MCR Campbelltown
100.5 Newsradio Batemans Bay
100.7 KIX Goulburn
100.9 RN Bega/Cooma
101.1 KIX Nowra
101.3 Hit Gosford
101.5 Triple J Canberra
101.7 WSFM Sydney
101.9 ABC Classic Batemans Bay/Triple J Orange
102.1 Triple J Newcastle
102.3 ABC Classic Canberra (RDS had been turned off)
102.5 2MBS Sydney
102.7 ABC Classic Orange
102.9 2ST Bowral
103.2 Hope 103.2 Sydney
103.3 Ram FM Goulburn
103.5 ABC South East Batemans Bay
103.7 2KY Nowra
103.9 Newsradio Canberra
104.1 2Day FM Sydney
104.3 RN Orange
104.5 Triple U Nowra/Star 104.5 Gosford
104.7 Hit Canberra
104.9 Triple M Sydney
105.1 RN Batemans Bay/Triple M Orange
105.3 KIX Wollongong
105.5 SBS Radio Canberra
105.7 Triple J Sydney
105.9 Hit Orange
106.1 ABC Classic Newcastle
106.3 Mix 106.3 Canberra
106.5 KIIS Sydney
106.7 2ST Ulladulla/2KY Orange
106.9 VOX Wollongong
107.1 Highland FM Bowral
107.3 2SER Sydney
107.7 GNFM Goulburn/Triple M Gosford
107.9 Move FM Lithgow

6 Likes

Great log!

Do you get the Goulburn ABCs well enough to get RDS… as I saw it on 88.7 JJJ when I was there on Tuesday.