AM and FM DX

Very interesting, and yes they are low powered I assume.

2 Likes

Youā€™d be correct. The 100.1 JJJ Saraji North service has a maximum ERP of 100 watts, whilst the 100.9 RN Springsure service has a maximum ERP of 800 watts.

5 Likes

Damn, late to the party on this one :expressionless:

4 Likes

After SA faded out, Victoria now back strong into Brisbane.

Very confused when a station on 99.5 IDed as 107.5 - it turned out to be Flow FM.

I kept a log, but it has grown to 80 stations so far.

At one point lost Logan FM 101.1 to Victoria.

3 Likes

No youā€™re not.
The partyā€™s charged venue.
Iā€™m now receiving Auckland 91.0, 91.8 but now have a meetingā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

New Zealand now into Brisbane. Incl 88.6, 88,9, 89.2, 90.0, 90.2, 91.0, 91.4, 91.6, 91.8.94.0, 94.2, 94.6, 94.8, 95.6,

1 Like

I was too early, i was listening between 11am-12pmā€¦ didnā€™t hear anything then.

1 Like

I wonder what I missed between 3 & 7pm today?
Right now thereā€™s some tiny fleeting signals on 89.0, 90.0 & 91.0
Iā€™d speculate perhaps New Caledonia, but not sure.

1 Like

Canberra into Brisbane atm with RDS. Huge signals mixing with other stations.

The band is saturated with stations with multiple signals on each frequency.

5 Likes

Might had faded out but tonight got Emerald and Rockhampton and Gladstone plus Triple M Bundaberg via E-Skip.
What a day of DX.

Also briefly had a return of Mackay.

6 Likes

Opening still going in Brisbane - lots of Victorians plus Hobart.

Stations from unusual distances coming in like all the Canberra stations and The Edge from Bega.

1 Like

Triple M Mackay being received again on 98.7 but much weaker this time only in mono at best when above the noise floor.

2 Likes

Townsville there too. Eg 104.7 4ABCRN
The Es just wonā€™t end will it?
Amazing end to the Es season

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up 102.3 Triple M Townsville received just below stereo strength on peaks.

Just fleeting tonight, not strong local strength like earlier this afternoon.
What a day!!!

1 Like

No Townsville at the moment here, just Canberra.
Oh wait, Triple M is there.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just warming up here.

Looks to be all gone here now
98.7 is replaced by Classic fm Middle Brother and 102.3 Classic Canberra.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure exactly how Es propagate, but despite a good line of sight to the north from my Sydney CBD hotel room, i didnā€™t hear any Es today.

Thereā€™s a lot of good quality regular signals and splatter from Artarmon and Gore Hill, and if Es fall pretty much straight out of the sky the upper floors of my hotel might block it?

1 Like

I donā€™t know, today Eā€™s were exceptionally strong, maybe you are too close to Artarmon / Gore Hill?

Mackay / Townsville Triple Mā€™s would have been your best chance as they were local strength and with minimal fade.

I know motels / hotels can be bad for dxing too with all the noise they give off on the fm band.

On a seperate note 102.9 2ST is again very weak, and has been like that for quite some time now.

1 Like

Yes, i think Artarmon/ Gore Hill are part of the problem.

RF noise doesnā€™t seem to be the issue as the SNR is good, even on weak stations. Even 2WOW 100.7 from Penrith is reasonably good stereo here, which Iā€™ve found hard to get anywhere else.

Funny you mentioned 2ST 102.9, Iā€™m getting RDS but not stereo. Maybe they are having issues?

2 Likes