AM and FM DX

I’ve been keeping an ear out for 2UUU 92.3 during tropo since the announcement of the power increase, I’ve not heard that yet up here since.

1 Like

Well done! I have never heard 92.3 2UUU from Sydney. It comes in here via tropo and is almost permanent on the higher hills around town, so I daresay they are now using 200 w ERP.

Let me guess- were you around Coogee or Maroubra? There is a park at the top of Hendy Avenue in Coogee where 2EAR 107.5 comes in permanently (tested in the middle of winter). I’d venture 2BRW would be also possible there if not for being kicked to Skid Row by the Marrickville station.

No, but around the high parts of Dover Heights.
92.7 2BAB was being heard at the same time, a 100W station located a little further south.
I didn’t hear an ID on 92.3 but matched the program to their stream & ruled out 2MCE & ABC Coffs Harbour - both on 92.3

2 Likes

Yes 2BAB is common via coastal tropo into Sydney and elsewhere. Can’t get that one here due to (f)Artsound FM. The choice of 92.7 for 2BAB was very ad hoc; apparently ACMA told the late David Hawksworth to drive to the top of the hill and pick a frequency! I would have gone for something else; Artsound and 2BAB mix heavily between Nerriga and Sassafras, along the road between Nowra and Braidwood.

2 Likes

I’ve often wondered how ACMA determines which frequency to allocate.

And how much input the licensee gets into the choice of frequency.

Some late season Es FM DX about. Mackay/Townsville etc.

3 Likes

Down in Sydney at the moment staying in the CBD.

Had very weak 2BS 95.1 during quiet Smooth FM passages… couldn’t hear it when up tempo music was on Smooth though. First time I’ve received it when in Sydney.

Couldn’t null out 2NSB to get B-Rock though.

1 Like

Something on 99.0 in French language - New Caledonia.

Also Adelaide 5ABCFM 103.9 mixing with 4TTT.
DX is all over the place.

3 Likes

At my home location near Campbelltown, I’m getting Power 100 Townsville over 2WOW Penrith through my home DX setup.

4 Likes

Massive SpE opening into Sydney at the moment from Tropical QLD

91.9 Fresh fm
Hit 93.5 Central QLD
Hit 94.7. Emerald, Local strength full RDS decode
95.1 Triple M Central QLD
95.9 West Fm Charters Towers
96.7 Black Star Radio Atherton
97.9 Classic fm Mackay
98.7 Triple M Mackay
99.5 Triple J Mackay CCI to move fm, cutting in over the top
Something CCI with 99.9 SWR Fm
Hit 100.3 Mackay completely taking out 2MCR
Power 100 over Wow fm
101.9 Star 101.9 McKay
102.1 Triple J Newcastle and a Triple J from QLD and 102.1 The Wave
Emerald
102.3 Triple M Townsville, Local RDS
103.9 Triple T
105.5 Triple J Townsville
106.3 Star fm Townsville

Amazing strength of the Mackay / Townsville fm stations, at local strength with full RDS decodes.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, Victoria is booming into Brisbane.

3 Likes

I’m now getting 90.1 The Breeze Collinsville over 2NBC Narwee! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I lost most of the low end Gold Coast stations to Victorians.

Now getting Broken Hill, Mt Gambia and Adelaide.

3 Likes

The FM band is full of Queenslanders down here

4 Likes

So is SA. Just listening to 5RM on 91.5 with RDS

3 Likes

Listening to 50w 2WEB Wilcannia over the top of 5MBS. Quite a few Flow FMs

4 Likes

A veritable smorgasbord of stations at the moment

3 Likes

E-Skip from Queensland
Usual Mackay/Townsville this time very strong, wiping out Canberra, Goulburn, Batesman Bay and even Kix Nowra.
Several Low Powered ABC outlets.
94.7 Emerald and some repeaters of it including a few getting over stations like semi-local C91.3 and Hit 101.3 (Very Ironic)
Did get a JJJ 100.1 and RN 100.9 combo but from the Sunshine State, not Brown Mountain.
That log today would be so long, probably the best DX all season. If only they had DAB in North Queensland and if the MUF reaches band 3

4 Likes

Signals are weaken now, only Townsville still receivable, this was the best SpE of the season.

Edit
All gone now, it was a good couple of hours of very strong stable NQLD SpE.

4 Likes

The JJJ I received on 100.1 would be from Saraji North (SW of Mackay), while the RN outlet on 100.9 would be from Springsure (south of Emerald).

I agree. :slight_smile:

3 Likes