AM and FM DX

Amazingly clear reception.

2 Likes

Amazingly clear reception of 540 7SD in the car in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne tonight!

I had a brief touch of French-speaking on 91.5 earlier, presuming that was New Caledonia

Also got a lock on JJJ on 92.9 from Hobart, with RDS (a first for me the RDS). Interestingly their genre tag comes up as ā€˜Cultureā€™ different to every other city, at least in the car. It comes up as ā€˜Nation Musicā€™ here in Brisbane

2 Likes

Here in Brisbane, using the omidirectional antenna, we had 4 hours of fairly continuous reception from New Caledonia - main island and the smaller ones.

Frequencies that were the strongest were 89, 90, 91, 93, 93.5, 96, 97, 102.5 and 103. Also logged were 91.5, 100, 101.

Some RDS
97.0 and 103.0

Signal strength for 89

Also during the opening Fiji was received with strongest signals on 88.2 and 92.2. There were also very weak signals on 95.2, 95.4, 97.8, 98.4, 98.6 and 101.

Signal strength for 92.2

3 Likes

91.5 would have been New Caledonia.

This was the RDS for it today

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I thought it was, but it was only a brief burst in the car amongst competition from JJJ Coffs / Country Toowoomba, so no RDS. This was all around 1630 AEST

Nice catches by the way, especially the RDS from the Pacific, great work!

3 Likes

Anyone able to tell me what this broadcasts? It shares a site with SBS.
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl//client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=1138265
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1236811

for those who live in the Sydney area, youā€™re used to C91.3 as a strong blasting signal. Here it is from a DX perspective, fadey tropo to Numeralla. Donā€™t get it that often.

oh & BTW - even though we had heaps of rain, we had a big dust storm here in Numy yesterday. Car covered in red dustā€¦crap, just because I wash & waxed it on Fridayā€¦

5 Likes

Lol! Sorry to hear that about the car.

I had kind of the oppposite ā€¦ My car was dirty, I had to go out on Thursday night, parked at my mothers house, and then a short burst of heavy rain cleaned up my car quite a bit. It stopped by the time I had to leave.

As HHH Hornsby is currently off air, Life Fm Bathurst is receivable into Sydney this morning. Being received at my location at Stanhope Gardens. In stereo but very hissy. First and probably only catch. Double strength of 2BS considering they have a 10kw omnidirectional broadcast pattern.

2 Likes

A Pirated Broadcaster was transmitting ā€œRadio Nostalgiaā€ on 1629khz Melbourne however it suddenly stopped transmission and now I hear Asian programmingā€¦

I had nothing better to do earlier this afternoon, so I decided to carry out an FM bandscan from my car radio in the garageā€¦yeah, you know youā€™re bored when youā€™re resorting to doing that. I could have moved my car onto the driveway and done the bandscan from there, but I didnā€™t want my neighbours (or anyone nearby) to see me doing it; they would think iā€™m weird. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyhowā€¦

FM Bandscan
Sunday, 16th December 2018
3.56pm - 4.07pm AEDT

87.6 - Oldies FM
87.8 - Faith FM
88.0 - * Unknown *
90.9 - ABC NewsRadio
91.3 - C91.3 - [Campbelltown, Sydney]
91.7 - 2ST - [Shoalhaven Heads]
92.1 - 2MFM [Chester Hill, Sydney]
92.7 - Bay & Basin FM [Jervis Bay]
92.9 - ABC ClassicFM [Sydney]
93.7 - Koori Radio [Redfern, Sydney]
94.1 - Pulse FM
94.9 - Power FMĀ 
95.3 - Smooth FM
95.7 - ABC ClassicFM
96.1 - The Edge 96.1 [Katoomba]
96.5 - Wave FM
96.9 - Nova FM [Sydney]
97.3 - ABC Illawarra
97.7 - SBS Radio [Sydney]
98.1 - i98fm
98.5 - 2000FM [Burwood, Sydney]
98.9 - Triple J
100.3 - 2MCR [Campbelltown, Sydney]
101.7 - WSFM [Sydney]
102.5 - Fine Music 102.5 [St Leonards, Sydney]
102.9 - 2ST [Bowral]
103.2 - Hope FM [Sydney]
103.7 - 2KY [Nowra]
104.1 - 2DayFM [Sydney]
104.5 - 2UUU [Nowra]
104.9 - Triple M [Sydney]
105.3 - Hot Country
105.7 - Triple J [Sydney]
106.5 - KIIS FM [Sydney]
106.9 - VOX FM
107.1 - Highland FM [Bowral]
107.9 - Move FM [Lithgow] *

As you can see, the results of my bandscan are nothing too out of the ordinary, although I was surprised that I was able to receive some of the Sydney community FM stations (albeit, faintly). Iā€™m sure I would be able to receive more stations if I had conducted the bandscan out in the open.Ā 

Interestingly enough, I was able to receive a near-perfect signal of The Edge FM and with RDS, yet I couldnā€™t receive RDS for any of the Sydney stations. Iā€™ve always been able to receive RDS of the Sydney commercial stations when I pull into the driveway or drive down my street, so itā€™s interesting that I wasnā€™t able to on this occasion. I could barely receive Smooth FM; it was actually the weakest signal out of the Sydney commercial FM stations.Ā 

In regards to Move FM, I couldnā€™t receive the signal while parked in the garage, but I have permanent reception of the station from my home, so I decided to include it into the list anyway.Ā 

4 Likes

Life FM is permanent for me anyway. 2BS is stronger though (2BS 2 bars, Life 1 bar). Life has been overmodding the last few weeks so audio is loud (and distorted on the XDR). They did add RDS a few months ago also.

Do you have a youtube video or anything on it?

1 Like

I do that too in car people think i am strange too. Without giving out your gps location where on the south coast are you?

1 Like

No I donā€™t, unfortunately. :frowning: I wish that had of been something I thought of doing.

With that said though, in case anyone is interested, I recorded a brief example of the signal of 96.1 The Edge a few minutes ago. Considering the fact that the signal is coming from well over 100 kms away, the reception is excellent:

I might record more samples of radio stations if I get the chance to.

Thatā€™s interesting to hear. :slight_smile: Yeah, like I suggested in my earlier post, I only do radio bandscans when iā€™m on my own and no one else is around. I wouldnā€™t want people to get the wrong impression of me or think that iā€™m some creep, just because iā€™m sitting in my car and fiddling with the radio for a considerable period of time.

Without revealing the exact suburb I live in, all iā€™ll say is that I live in the Albion Park area.

1 Like

Wow 2MCR thatā€™s a great catch. Hows 2st fm 102.9. Must be weak.

Yep. 2ST on 102.9 was barely audible; I had to turn the volume up to 20 on my car stereo just to hear the signal.

1 Like

Hi Guys

Iā€™ve had the most AMAZING opening to Indonesia ever!!! - one even had RDS on 94.9!!

Iā€™ll post YT links when I can compile all this stuff & some of the signals were massively strong. I suspect Kupang was the main target region

Frequencies heard 88.8, 89.3, 89.5, 90.1, 92.5, 93.0, 94.3, 94.4, 94.5, 94.9, 96.0, 96.1, 96.4, 97.0, 99.0, 99.2, 103.6, 107.0

Just excuse me whilst Iā€™m still trying to lift my jaw off the floor!..oh & news just inā€¦ New Caledonia & QLD was also inā€¦

9 Likes

Guys, until Friday we have Hope103.2 under test on the Artarmon main FM antenna at reduced power, compared with full power on their side-mount FM antenna.

For those who can, weā€™re interested in how far HOPE103.2 goes, & how much difference in the reception quality & distance it reaches, over the normal side-mount at full power.

If anyone notices any inter-modulation issues anywhere across the band, let us know what & where too.

Post your results here.

4 Likes