AM and FM DX

Yes, from what I hear the Great Dividing Range blocks most signals north/south in and out of Melbourne and Geelong, so Shepparton is pretty rare there.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty common to receive Shep signals in and around Geelong, from my experience. @tamago_otoko would know more. Out on the Bellarine Peninsula where you have a clear LOS north over the Bay, Shepparton is quite strong and you can even get Swan Hill fading up via As and troposcatter. Portarlington is a good spot, as is Wrathall Reserve at Indented Head.

Signals from the north and north west are also prevalent west of Geelong at Gheringhap, where you have a bit of elevation to help things.

I agree it would be tough in certain spots around town, but that’s true for any out of town signal really.

2 Likes

I’m close to the Geelong CBD which probably isn’t the best for out of town signals unfortunately.

The local blowtorches on adjacent channels make life difficult for Shepparton in Geelong, particularly JJJ, 3SRTriple M and Classic FM, but it is possible in flat conditions with the right receiver. On a portable or conventional radio however it typically needs some atmospheric assistance (@Brettski_1234 a fun fact, my first ever notable FM DX was 96.9 Sun FM Shep on the portable in my bedroom, though that was a long time ago now :smiley: )

The Sony XDR when connected to a conventional TV antenna (covering Band II, and admittedly pointing northeast) often yielded regular Shepparton and even Albury signals in Geelong, aided by the odd bit of troposcatter.

4 Likes

Some Es noted from QLD yesterday evening (11th Dec) & yet no 6m beacons were in! FMs mainly from Gladstone, Rockhampton & Yeppoon. ABC Classic 106.3 strong over Mix 106.3.

This afternoon (12th Dec) noted strong FM into Norfolk Is & 99.9 Pines-FM is just back to back music with no IDs or any announcements…sheesh why bother running a radio station like an ipod… also FM noted from the NI of NZ incl Kaitaia, Auckland & Hamilton.

I’ve noticed the XHDATA copes with high powerline noise much better than the XDR sony tuner.

3 Likes

Opening initially to Melbourne last night with Light FM first received. Signal was strong but didn’t last long, but opening remained for about an hour bouncing around. Next was JJJ Hobart with RDS then later Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Latrobe etc. Towards the end 5AD 102.3 strong for about 1 minute.

2 Likes

There’s a bit of ducting about tonight with very strong Wollongong signals and most Sydney community stations being received.

Pulse 94.1 breaking through Today’s Country and Power likewise over Rhema.

2 Likes

Huge day of sporadic E reception on the NSW Mid North Coast. Signals from Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and NZ.

4 Likes

I only caught the tail end of the skip, but was able to ID two NZ stations.
91.5 The Sound West Coast, and 93.1 The Hits West Coast. They were quite strong around 3pm ADST.
Skip pretty much over here now.

2 Likes

Reception here from Vic has been crap tonight, I’m only picking up 900khz which I think is either 2LM or 2LT? It has some “20 20 Retro Countdown” on.

1 Like

That would be 7AD Devonport, which broadcasts the “20 20 Retro Countdown”. 2LT & 2LM both have syndicated talkback from 2GB & 2SM respectively.

2 Likes

Cheers for that. I gave up on AM and am listening to an FM station which is transmitting from 2 blocks away… Middle East Radio… Pitty I don’t speak Arabic.

3 Likes

What’s interesting to note is that all the stations that currently broadcast on 900 kHz along the East Coast are due to convert to FM within the next couple of years, with 7AD set to be the first one to vacate the frequency, followed by 2LT & then 2LM.

That means that after those 3 are converted to FM, someone on the East Coast could finally pick up 8HA from Alice Springs, who will remain broadcasting on 900 kHz.

4 Likes

It would be good to receive an NT station here in NSW.

Never have before.

2 Likes

2LF 1350khz, 2CH 1170khz, RSN 1260khz, SBS Radio Canberra 1440khz and 1418khz which is Unknown (presumably from Melbourne as the signal is extremely high) has made an appearance down in Melbourne tonight.

2 Likes

FM skip yesterday afternoon was pretty good from QLD, Norfolk Is & New Caledonia. Picked up this strange radar / Woodpecker TXer on 87.5 (87.45Mhz).

Sony tuner - https://youtu.be/sjv7FCwVGbg
Icom R-8500 - https://youtu.be/gC5EJ-hgEDA

3 Likes

I also forgot to mention, I had Darwin FM briely with Yolgnu Radio 88.9 & 8KND R.Larrakia 94.5 (then drowned out by Rebel FM in QLD)

4 Likes

Darwin FM in again this morning at 8:30 with Yolgnu Radio & R.Larrakia

3 Likes

3 hour plus opening to Pacific Islands into Brisbane continuing tonight. I’m not very well set up for reception from the east, but the signals are good.

Now starting to receive a few stations from Victoria and Tasmania (pests!).

2 Likes

wow - had FM from Indonesia Today on 90.1 & 95.2 Mhz. other FM catches incl 88.2 BBCWS & 92.2 Viti from Fiji & Darwin again incl 102.5 Newsradio

95.2 Indonesia https://youtu.be/GpeV0zyOoXQ
90.1 Indonesia https://youtu.be/Cqe70dHWNnA

3 Likes