AM and FM DX

There’s also a translator of West FM Longreach in Winton on the same frequency.

Did we miss this that in 2017, all the FM stations in Resonate’s stable were rebranded to the Longreach FM, West FM. Great they ditched Hit FM.

1 Like

I knew Charleville had been switched from Triple C to West FM, but didn’t know about Charters Towers.
Thanks.
Any others?

1 Like

Yes I believe you’re correct with first suggestion re mystery station on 105.5.
Managed to // the music with 102.3 Port Macquarie (Hit Network) when reception (again) was peaking around the Coffs Harbour/Port Macquarie area in the early hours today. That’s a new transmission site [Bruxner Park, Coffs Harbour] for me via tropo reception. Only 280m ASL too. Also had briefly on 105.5; 2ABCFM Central Western Slopes & 2SBS Canberra.
Also nice reception of 92.7 Sky Sports Radio & very weak (no ID) presumed 2WAY on 103.9 showing same propagation reception characteristics as 92.7 & 102.3 Port Macquarie.

Also had 102.9 Newcastle over 102.9 2ST.
Nice 103.7 2NUR & 105.3 2NEW reception
ID on 101.5 Great Lakes FM.
98.3 & 97.9 from Port Stephens, weaker than 97.5 2HD

Late morning yesterday had these from Northland NZ (Ducting); 91.6, 92.4, 94.0 - The Edge, 93.2 Hauraki.

Around 3.50pm yesterday Sporadic E reception of 98.3 Kool FM & several Townsville stations.

1 Like

Yes, I recall mention of this too now you remind me.

They’re the only three markets that Resonate has both an AM and FM on band commercial licence.

1 Like

ABC Mt.Moombil (Coffs H.) FM transmitters heard in SYD much stronger than the ABC Middle Brother (Taree) txs atm.

3 Likes

As per usual, JJJ 96.3 and Classic FM 98.7 have the best signals of the Middle Brother stations.

The highlight though was getting some of the RDS (only the genre & station name but still better than nothing, right?) from Triple M Newcastle - first time I’ve received it since the relaunch!

With these conditions, I personally wonder if there’s been any reports of Newcastle TV reception yet.

UPDATE: Of course!

4 Likes

That’s interesting, I’m still in Sydney at the moment, and I could only get Middle Brother ABCs from my hotel room.

Results for me were pretty similar to Thursday night, Middle Brother ABCs, 2HD 97.5, possibly Port Stephens FM, Newcastle ABCs but nothing else here. Nothing from the south either.

1 Like

After about 1/2 hr the Taree signals increased & Mt.Moombil weakened a bit.
Yes conditions were fairly similar to the previous evening, but I did receive ABC Mt.Moombil txs stronger for a while & also penetrating marginally further in the southern inland eg Goulburn/Canberra.
A new log was the lower powered 2PNN Mt Moombil outlet on 90.7

2 Likes

Middle Brother continuing last night and this morning (but starting to fade)into SEQ. Had Inverell incl GEM at good levels last night. Also hit 102.3 from Port Macquarie.

Mt Cenn Cruaich in today on 102.3, 105.5 and 106.3.

1 Like

Later had an opening to the north with “Cairns North” stations and 4AM Ravenshoe. Then some PNG stations from Port Moreseby for about 15 minutes then Noumea was back again.

4 Likes

Quite impressive when these Cairns North stations are supposedly 0 kw to the south.

1 Like

For me, still in Sydney (last night) and Middle Brother ABC stations are weaker than the last two nights.

But got ABCs from Canberra instead.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how many times “Cairns North” is logged rather than the main 100kw Bellenden Ker stations.

2 Likes

Went to Cronulla today was happy to get Lake Macq fm over abc local radio on 97.3. 95.1 was clear. 96.3 fm was fighting , I think jjj. Great spot for dxing. Just on my sangean DT120.

2 Likes

I was just checking broadcast recordings trying to get a better ID from a PNG station when I checked out 92.9 and found an unexpected station. Eventually found it listed with ACMA as a temporary transmission for Yarrabah at 100w. Reception featured weather report plus country music by no ID.

Surprisingly it had RDS

4 Likes

No surprise, would be a magnet for grants and other govt handouts:

1 Like

I wonder if Grant Broadcasters have lodged any objections to the name as it could be confused with their Star 102.7?

Pretty sure Black Star got there first

5 Likes

There’s a 4NPR Black Star Radio Network app on Google Play that might be useful for DXing in future.

I was listening via the simple app for a long long period & only caught 4 ID’s & two short advert periods in that time.
There was the news followed by weather & straight onto songs. The network badly needs more ID’s injected into there automated system between songs & the like. Heard 4 ID’s as: ’ Black Star Radio’, Black Star Network & two local station ID’s, one was networked announced I think as “Yaramba FM”, but I’d refer to the station as; ‘Black Star Radio’.
CAMMA Radio 8KIN FM provideds plenty of ID’s , but some community stations or their announcers can frequently forget to ID regularly on air. I believe the situation is much more pronounced with remote Aborginal radio networks across to the country.

I was stunned to learn that they had RDS - nice. No doubt due to a lot of good work from their tech Gerry Pyne & gov funds of course.

3 Likes

A bit of NZ tropo into Numeralla this morning. 89.4, 90.2,91.0, 91.8 and 92.6 were heard. Mostly 1 bar on the XDR tuner but 89.4 peaked at 2 bars briefly. We drove out to Countegany, a high (1000 m) point at the crest of the South Coast escarpment, to see if anything could be received on the car radio but alas none was forthcoming. The opening probably died during this time as we could no longer receive anything ‘back at the ranch’.

2 Likes