Long distance television

Picked up 7FLIX from Crafers tonight just out of Renmark, peak of the signal in the pic before it started to fade out.

8 Likes

Here’s a good website to check out, shows the chances of tropo ducting

http://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html

3 Likes

Correct and I’ve stayed in one, an Airbnb with Mt Canobolas reception instead of Sydney. In Eltham Park Ave.

Perfect view west, Orange commercial FM and Bathurst and Lithgow on mobile phone radio + Sydney digital on handheld.

It sure did. WIN was used in many Blue Mtn motels instead of TCN for 9 programs.

Oberon is a fantastic town for Sydney and Knights Hill signals. Digital radio, FM, TV, all wonderful. Find me an Airbnb with a Sydney antenna and I’ll have another excuse to visit.

Or Murrayville in the western Mallee for Mt Lofty reception.

Hills for you, Matchmaster for me, see Page 10:

https://matchmaster-au-assets.objects-us-east-1.dream.io/downloads/catalogues/digital-tv-antennas_catalogue_2016-2017.pdf

14dB maximum gain and a whopping 3.19 metres long.

Yes, that’s it. Does need a modification of a bar below to support the 3.19m length, but is a great performer.

Yes @Shaun1997, great website, good ol Hepburn.

1 Like

No Mount Canobolas or Knights Hill channels at the Hydro Majestic (Medlow Bath) even though the LOS to both of these is pretty good. I was getting 50 dB for the Knights Hill nationals and around 40 dB for the Canobolas nationals on my Tecsun FM radio, in a room riddled with interference no less.

2 Likes

Bit of tropo ducting around this morning just out of Renmark.

5 Likes

I’m getting all the Newcastle commercial networks right now just north of Campbelltown! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great catch!

I had the TV screen in my hotel room go blank on Channel Seven for a few seconds during the cricket yesterday afternoon, making me wonder if Sydney was getting any co channel interference from Middle Brother, given the strong FM reception from there. Though I’m not sure if the signal here is coming from Artarmon or Kings Cross.

It only happened once though.

Have any of our Sydney correspondents had any issues with TV reception?

On a similar note, I hadn’t had any local TV reception at home since Monday due to the ducting.

1 Like

last night at Port Mac watching the cricket, very glitchy.

1 Like

During last week’s openings on the FM band, I occasionally checked the TV for any enhanced reception. What that did was reinforced the difficulties with long distant DTV. Was able to get Wide Bay TV on Ch10 a couple of times at a distance of 250 km. This is the only spare frequency on VHF in the area and a fairly common occurrence. There were also some things happening on UHF but none resulted in a decoded signal. E.g., Ch43 from Nambour signal quality disappeared, my best guess is the a station at Gympie on the same frequency was interfering. The biggest mystery was the now vacant channel 28 was showing a DTV signal present. Best guess is Mt Dowe SBS as FM from there was strong at the time.

3 Likes

Is UHF 43 a Sunshine Coast SFN?

If so, I often have an issue with that here too, whereby for me UHF 40-44 and 46-48 are normally the Wyong signals, but during tropo most of them go missing. The one least likely to go is WIN on UHF 48 because they are only transmitting from Wyong (and not Gosford or Bouddi).

2 Likes

Not Sunshine Coast but Nambour (Dulong) and Gympie (Black Mt) are a SFN

2 Likes

Had 7FLIX Adelaide (Crafers transmitter) for a brief moment not long ago just out of Renmark, picture was a garbled mess as it wasn’t a very good signal.

3 Likes

Little bit of tropo around tonight around Renmark S.A.

2 Likes

What would you receive or used to receive prior to ATV switch off or Band II clearance from this set up:

1 Like

As already mentioned on the “AM & FM DX” thread, it would most likely have been for NBN-3 from Newcastle.
I would imagine that up to the analogue switch-off in 2012, it would have been preferrable to watch NBN over the local WIN for Nine programming. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

During a FM radio DX opening yesterday that included good signals from Mt Dowe, this was the signal strength on channel 28 in Brisbane, normally one of the few vacant channels.

Channels 29-33 also showed higher than normal signals. These normally have low level signals from the SE Brisbane low power relays. However, it is possible that these signals were from Mt Nardi or even a mix of several signals.

This was using a UHF antenna facing toward the Gold Coast - unfortunately this antenna has to be at a very low height (below roof line) to avoid co-channel reception from stations to the north, so not the best for long distance reception.

I wonder if there are reception problems in Richmond Tweed if there is an opening towards Mt Dowe as they share the same frequency block.

4 Likes

A touch of tropo tonight around tonight, coming in from the Adelaide Hills (I’m a few KMs out of Renmark).

not an overly strong signal but not a bad feat for 200km+.
Pity our local transmitter doesn’t have 7FLIX.

Some funky colours with the pixelation on RACING.COM. Audio was just a screeching sound with the odd voice, will be interesting to see what the morning is like.

2 Likes

Another set of stations instead this morning, NINE Mildura instead lol.

3 Likes

Came in nice and early tonight.

2 Likes

WIN Wide Bay into Brisbane tonight at local strength (received with horiz UHF antenna) from 250km.

4 Likes