Al Jazeera

1 Like

Temporary studio

1 Like

Studio, graphics and music update for Al Jazeera English
https://network.aljazeera.net/pressroom/al-jazeera-english-channel-rings-new-decade-fresh-look

Watch live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjIjKNcr_fk

2 Likes

Very sleek new look. The start and end of every promo, lineup and ident has the logo in the centre, so the continuity is seamless when you’re watching live. Reminds me of HBO’s current look.

Ident

Lineup

Promo

Bulletin Opener

Breaking News Supers

7 Likes

Stan Grant has left the ABC and is now working as a journalist for Al-Jazeera. He wrote an analysis piece for ABC News website yesterday, after US missile strikes killed Iran military leader Qassem Soleimani.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Former Seven News Melbourne presenter/reporter Emily Angwin is joining Al Jazeera:

4 Likes

…describing it as “an attack on press freedom as a whole.”

At least 10 Tunisian police stormed the media company’s office in the nation’s capital Tunis on Monday and expelled all reporters without a warrant.

The raid comes a day after president Kais Saied sacked the Tunisian prime minister (Hichem Mechichi) and suspended parliament following mass protests in Tunis over the Ennahda government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The move has been described as a coup by Tunisia’s main political parties. The BBC has reported that Al Jazeera has been viewed as sympathetic to Ennahda.

2 Likes

Al Jazeera with live coverage of the Taliban entering the Arg Presidential Palace in Kabul. The AJ Arabic reporter seems to be accompanying them everywhere, hooking them up to microphone equipment and interviewing them.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Al Jazeera’s London operation in The Shard is to be downsized; all live newscasts will stop airing from there (with these hours moving to Doha and The Stream moving back to Washington).

2 Likes

After the closure of programming from Malaysia, the US and now London was inevitable. What started out as a truly global news channel in 2006 is a shell of it’s former self.

1 Like

I know it was nearly a year ago now - but we all seem to have missed it. The final bulletin from London:

(Incidentally Lauren Taylor now presents on BBC World. In fact she’s on air as I type!)

4 Likes

Was London the last other studio they had? KL and Washington both ended a while ago right? I remember the originally framed it that they’d follow the sun.

3 Likes

It was. KL stopped doing bulletins in 2010 and Washington followed about a year later. London carried on for a lot longer, obviously.

Though I don’t think they ever quite knew what to do with London. I’m quite certain that set in The Shard (where they moved in 2014) was originally intended for a UK-only version of AJ, which obviously never happened.

I suspect they’d wanted to have all of AJE in Doha for years, but London was too useful a backup. On one occasion there was a massive fault at the Doha newsroom and so for a week the whole channel came from London! Won’t be able to do that now…

5 Likes
1 Like

Disgusting. And quite sad, considering when Al Jazeera English first launched many Israeli cable companies got rid of BBC World in order to carry AJE.

1 Like