Al Jazeera

They still have the space at the shard.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s still their London bureau (I think the space is shared with AJ Arabic?). They just don’t do bulletins from there anymore.

1 Like

Yup:

2 Likes

Wow. Great find! From memory there weren’t any Newshours, though - just half hour bulletins. A good number of the Brits who normally worked in the Doha newsroom were flown to London to help out. There was a lot more taped programming that week, as you can imagine.

1 Like

In a move that surprises no one, the Israel government decided to yank Al Jazeera off air.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It was slightly amusing when, during BBC Workd News’ coverage earlier, they used a 10 year old video (obviously from YT) of Fauziah Ibrahim presenting to illustrate the story.

1 Like
2 Likes

I have to say, I don’t think Al Jazeera English does itself too many favours by constantly having a bright red caption across the bottom of the screen that says ‘GENOCIDE IN GAZA’. Yeah, it probably is a genocide at this point… but I’m not sure that’s necessarily for Al Jazeera to decide.

They take a lot of liberties, throwing the most lurid phrases around where Israel is concerned, but treating the other side with kid gloves. For example the Israeli hostages being held in Gaza currently are not hostages, but ‘captives’, according to Al Jazeera. And many of their on-air staff have simply forgotten how to be impartial. But it’s all overlooked, because (understandably) it’s much more socially acceptable to be pro-Palestine, than pro-Israel.

Not that any of this excuses Israel banning them, obviously. In a supposed democracy, it’s utterly shameful to go round banning news outlets.

1 Like