Al Jazeera

[quote=“Moe, post:20, topic:610, full:true”]The fact that the ABC and SBS are willing to use their reports, and in the ABC’s case, carry the channel directly for periods of time, shows the level of faith in the quality of their reporting.
[/quote]
Oh dear. By that logic, we should have great faith in the “quality” of reporting at the ABC and SBS. :hear_no_evil:

So what metric do you use to justify trusting the veracity of news sources?

I think the ABC and SBS have shown their journalistic independence from their funding sources, and as a whole provide generally balanced and well researched coverage.

And yes, if a news source that I can trust, the ABC and SBS in this case, make an editorial decision that the content produced by a third party meets their standards for publication, then it is a good source of news.

Multiple independent news organisations find AJE to be credible - so far your counterargument is scare quotes.

5 Likes

as someone who worked for a state-owned news channel, i would work for Al Jazeera anyday than my previous digs

2 Likes

Well 70% of Australians do have great faith in the quality of reporting at the ABC or SBS, which are the highest two results for news organisations in the nation. So “we” in that sentence is a bit meaningless.

2 Likes

the simple response to all this is “#THEIRABC!”

[quote=“matlock, post:24, topic:610, full:true”]Well 70% of Australians do have great faith in the quality of reporting at the ABC or SBS, which are the highest two results for news organisations in the nation. So “we” in that sentence is a bit meaningless.
[/quote]

Speaking of trust, if you happen to be referring to the latest Essential Report on trust in the media, the total level of trust in ABC TV news - yes, the total that includes “a lot” and “some” trust - is 59%. How can you say “Well 70% of Australians do have great faith in the quality of reporting at the ABC or SBS”?

Move this to the ABC thread or PMs.

Yeah it’s going to mostly be their Arabic service - their English is one of the most valuable in the world (not saying, like anything, it’s perfect though).

1 Like

Saudi Arabia issued an outright ban against watching the al-Jazeera TV channel on Thursday, in the latest bizarre twist in its on-going diplomatic spat with Qatar.

The Saudi commission for tourism and national heritage issued a warning of a 10,000 riyal ($2700) fine if any tourist outlet failed to censor the Qatari news channel.

“The commission affirms the necessity to cancel a number of al-Jazeera media channels inside tourism accommodation,” the unsigned letter reads.

That’s a shame.

Saudi Arabia has demanded Qatar to close Al Jazeera altogether, one of the 13 demands in order to end the blockade.

That is like China demanding Australia to shut down the ABC. Totally unacceptable. If Al Jazeera is gone, what will it be replaced with? A broadcaster which is controlled by other Arab states?

2 Likes

Not surprisingly, journalist and human rights groups have condemned the demand to shut down Al Jazeera, saying it amounting to political censorship and suppression of press freedom in the Middle East.

Personally I feel regimes in Egypt, UAE and Saudi Arabia are using the demands to destroy all dissent and opposition at home and abroad, as shown in clause 9:

Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.

1 Like

Ofc it is.

Saudi Arabia and the others are more than welcome to open a competing news service if they feel Qatar has the edge over them.

2 Likes

Here’s some emails of the involved countries embassies in Australia, if anyone thought it’d be useful to send something…

Saudi Arabia - auemb@mofa.gov.sa - amb.auemb@mofa.gov.sa
Egypt - Embassy.canberra@mfa.gov.eg
United Arab Emirates - canberra@mofa.gov.ae - Canberraemb.amo@mofa.gov.ae -
uaeembassy@bigpond.com

Qatar - canberra@mofa.gov.qa

1 Like

Goodness me

5 Likes

A decision is to be made in the next few days:

2 Likes

Emirates back down over demand to shut Al Jazeera

2 Likes

Now Israel, suggesting they’ve been inspired by the Sunni arab states! What a joke! Not good…

The blockade reaches a year mark.

1 Like