AFL

A horrendous season for the Carlton Blues team. Last night’s 17000 crowd at Etihad Stadium was a very low crowd.

West Coast beat Brisbane Lions by 26 points at The Gabba. The Eagles finish second on the ladder and will host Collingwood in the second qualifying final at Optus Studium.

2 Likes

Yep so we have two games confirmed in Richmond v Hawthorn and West Coast v Collingwood.

This game could see an extra game being played in Sydney or an extra game in Melbourne. I am hoping for a Melbourne win so I can get to two finals matches in 2 weeks time.

I heard from the West Australian that West Coast could be given a green light to host the Thursday Night Final. https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-eagles-in-frame-for-thursday-night-home-final-ng-b88932666z

If this is the case, they will have:
West Coast v Collingwood (Optus Stadium) - 6 Sep)
Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG) - 7 Sep (N)

1 Like

Yeah they were saying the same on tripple m

Decent predictions I reckon, Gold Coast came 2nd last and 6/8 correct.

2 Likes

Today’s Melbourne vs GWS game was a big shock, albeit not as much as if finals contention was still on the lime, but I guess a number of top teams each year have at least one big upset / disappointment.
Melbourne backed up last weeks impressive upset over West Coast, could be the real deal :hushed:

Except for the part where they will be eliminated in the first week of finals.

3 Likes

Wow so Richmond vs Hawthorn will be on a Thursday night. Very very interesting…

4 Likes

This will be the first time a MCG final is played on a Thursday night. While it will generate big TV ratings for Seven, it may not get a big crowd before many people have to go to work or school the next day.

1 Like

My predictions for crowds
Richmond v Hawthorn Hawks (MCG) - 97000
Melbourne v Geelong Cats (MCG) - 68000
Sydney v GWS (SCG) - 47000
West Coast v Collingwood (Optus Stadium) ~ 60000

Winners:
Richmond by 4
Melbourne by 5
GWS by 8
West Coast by 3

TV Audience Numbers
Richmond-Hawks - 900k (including on 7mate)
Melbourne-Geelong - 919k (including on 7mate)
GWS v Sydney - 688k (including on 7mate, Sydney viewers on 7Hd will get a slight boost
West Coast v Collingwood - 1.04m (including on 7mate, Perth viewers will get a massive share boost on 7mate).

Going to take a stab that the AFL think Friday will be a closer contest (Melb v Geelong)? Thursday potential for reigning premiers Richmond to exert authority and whip Hawthorn? Even if crowds / tv ratings would’ve been a bit bigger for the latter.

But people go to work/school in Adelaide and Perth too…

1 Like

I think the AFL has scheduled the first week of finals with the semi finals match-ups in mind. The loser of Richmond v Hawthorn will meet the winner of Melbourne v Geelong, in the semi final on Friday night, September 14. The loser of West Coast v Collingwood will meet the winner of Sydney v GWS, in the other semi final on Saturday, September 15. If that match is held in Perth, I think it will be an afternoon game due to time difference, so the opposing side (Collingwood/Sydney/GWS) can fly home that night.

2 Likes

I would be filthy if I was a Collingwood or West Coast fan. They will have a shorter break than their opponents. Obviously had that timeslot in mind for viewership but to the total disadvantage of the team that placed higher.

1 Like

Bookies have the Dees as $1.70 faves, suspect that’s about right. Geelong’s had an easy few weeks leading up to finals, Melbourne will be keen to beat them after their narrow losses during the season.

2 Likes

When was the last time Melbourne beat Geelong?

I know Melbourne have now beaten two of the top 8 sides, is that right? I still don’t rate them. With that said, Geelong don’t have a good track record after breaks. So who knows.

Back in Round 12, 2015.

2 Likes

2015, and they haven’t made finals since 2006. History is made to be rewritten.

Hey I am right behind Melbourne. I hope they can do it! Just odds are against them.