AFL

But they’re playing Gold Coast… :wink:

TheAFL turns to Waleed Aly for help with proposed rule changes

THE AFL has consulted TV presenter Waleed Aly as part of its investigation of the state of the game.

A host of Channel 10’s The Project, Aly joins the company of former football greats and commentators on the game who have been sounded out about potential new rules.

Those to have met league footy boss Steve Hocking and his team about the proposed changes include broadcaster Gerard Whateley, Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy, former Herald Sun football writer Mike Sheahan and AFL legend Malcolm Blight.

https://twitter.com/theheraldsun/status/1031476518252359680

1 Like

Why Waleed?

3 Likes

haha thanks. That is what I meant.

All good, it’s becoming a bit like that!

1 Like

AFL selected Port v Essendon for the Friday night game this week, narrowly ahead of Swans v Hawks because they were a chance to both make finals and could’ve come down to that game.

Well, they rolled the dice and the worst scenario happened, both out of contention beforehand anyway :joy: Therefore Swans v Hawks should definitely be Friday.

Although Seven will be happy still, as it’s harder to get viewers on Saturday night, which will be the bigger game.

Apparently the AFL were never going to put Swans vs Hawks on Friday.

Sydney wanted a day or twilight game. And they’ve had plenty of 6 day breaks, so yes, you’re right, was never happening. Was always going to be Port vs Essendon, not sure what all the fuss is about!

1 Like

Not true, their media statement definitely said “they were considering it” [as the Friday game], but at the time, Port v Dons potentials outweighed it.

The mind boggles.

1 Like

This makes sense. So just another beat up from the Herald Sun with a polarising figure to their readership.

2 Likes

So a question. For my team. Port Adelaide 99% sure they won’t make the finals. They are likely to lose Polec. Likely to demand a first round pick considering how important he is and how much time and money they have invested in him and because North are offering huge money for him.
Port Adelaide will then likely hold 2 picks inside the top 11. Likely 10 and 11. Would a team like Carlton or Gold Coast swap those picks for pick 1 or 2 and do you think that sort of deal is worth it?

The worst case scenario would be if Gold Coast winning over Geelong by a whopping margin and Port Adelaide winning the game by 55 points over Essendon - this could mean that Port Adelaide is more than enough to scrape in Top 8. But for instance, I would say Geelong winning over Gold Coast by 33 points.

Check the ladder again buddy. Port Adelaide and Geelong are both on 12 wins. Port would need to win and Geelong lose. Geelong will not lose. And lets be honest Port Adelaide are not going to get enough % to get in anyway. They have one of the worst average scores of the competition, even lower than Brisbane. Only thing they have is their defense which is the third best in the competition.

2 Likes

I’ve been a Geelong supporter long enough to know that when everyone keeps saying this about a game… we will lose. When the talk is all about how much percentage boost or it’s a dead certainty for them, they’ll lose.
I’m hoping for a win and expecting a win but wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t.

Well it doesn’t matter anymore anyway. They can lose and still make finals. Look at the Port and Essendon game.

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule them out yet.

1 Like

True I had turned it off because I couldn’t watch them any longer. This last month has been hard for me.

Port Adelaide won’t make the finals after they lost to Essendon by 22 points at home tonight. The result means Geelong claims the last finals spot. The Power was in the top four at the end of round 16, before losing six of the next seven matches (including tonight) to end the season. Essendon won’t play in the finals either, but they will finish the season with a good record on the road: five wins from seven games. They started the season by beating Adelaide, and finished the season by beating Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide’s Finals hopes have already been over with the 22-point drubbing to the Dons at Adelaide Oval. The Power Started off well but they have faded during August with 4 straight losses. The Power were contenders for finals but injuries have mounted. David Koch will not be very happy about tonight’s performance.