AFL

Go figure. A win for pride and their fans only, as Crows were already out of contention last week.

Same fashion as Saints tried last night.

The last time Melbourne played finals they owned the record for greatest losing margin in a Grand Final.

1 Like

It will be great to see Melbourne play finals football this year. I don’t think they can win it but now that Port Adelaide are all but out I am going to be supporting them.

As for Port Adelaide they have to be the real disappointments of the season. Only 5 weeks ago they were being talked about as possibilities for a top 2 position and now they are out. They definitely need to work on their fitness as they obviously cannot play out games. How they lost by over 50 points against Collingwood is beyond me, they were right in the game at three quarter time. Then there is the multiple loses by less than ten points. I also am not sure about this quick scoring for 20 minutes of the game and no scoring for 70% of the game. Lots and lots of work needs to be done. The final bug of mine was the fact they recruited hard last year and most of those players have turned out to be duds. Tom Rockcliff can’t seem to get a touch, Jack Watts (although a good ball user) just seems to be a bit slow and lazy and Steven Motlop (although impressive at times) goes in and out of the game.

Kochie won’t be happy. Hinkley time to go or is he still the man?

He just signed a huge contract extension last year. no way you get rid of him. To me its more about list management not coaching. Ken can and will adapt the game plan as he has done in the past. And the new rules will hopefully help adapt that.

Possible week 1 finals schedule based on current ladder positions.
Thursday: West Coast v Collingwood (Optus Stadium)
Friday: Sydney v Geelong (SCG)
Saturday afternoon: Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG)
Saturday night: GWS v Melbourne (Spotless Stadium)

AFL history will be made if both Swans and Giants host home finals, which will pose a problem to the league given the city’s traffic problems on the Saturday, and also the NRL finals will be held on the same weekend.

I don’t think it’s actually possible for the ladder to remain in it’s current order - because of the Melbourne v GWS and Sydney v Hawthorn matches.

1 Like

theres also a (slim) possibility that all 4 finals could be at the MCG

I dont see that as a major issue - could thet go back to back finals in Sydney (over two venues) on Saturday?

1 Like

No I am thinking it will be:
Richmond v Sydney
Melbourne v Geelong
Hawthorn v GWS
West Coast v Collingwood.

That will be the ideal scenario for Hawthorn as they will avoid playing against Geelong until week 2 or week 3, but it will be a scheduling nightmare for the AFL as well. Does anyone want a MCG final on a Thursday?

Well actually if that was the schedule they wouldn’t be able to play Geelong until the grandfinal.

Agreed, that’ll be massive, a real test for Swannies.

And on Swans, @bacco007 must be over the moon with their resurgent performance in recent weeks, after many tipped them to fall out of the 8.

I’m not convinced that we can much of an impact in the finals

1 Like

Never ride off the Swans, but I agree. I just don’t really want Richmond to win so I am hoping for an underdog. I would almost hope anyone but Richmond wins but I don’t want to see Geelong or Hawthorn go all the way.

You’re a chance like any of the 8. Swans extensive finals / GF experience including with current lost will definitely help. It’ll all depend who and where Swans play in first week, they could still make Too 4, they should beat Hawks this week. Second chance would be huge.

I am thinking that Melbourne could be in Top 4 if Fremantle beat Collingwood at Optus Stadium and Sydney or Hawthorn win and Dees beat Giants at MCG.

Richmond v Melbourne: MCG
West Coast vs hawthorn: Optus Stadium
Collingwood v Geelong: MCG
Sydney v GWS: SCG

Collingwood won’t lose.

1 Like

If we lose to Fremantle after a 133 point loss then I hope we exit the finals in straight sets

I agree. I think Melbourne deserve to be in the finals, they have done well this year. Geelong (my team) have nothing to cheer about, there have been sloppy with their tagging and defense as of lately. Abblett has done okay, but hasn’t made any dents (as of yet). I don’t see Geelong making finals this year.

But they cant really be knocked out unless they lose to Fremantle.