AFL

Just to show y’all :tada::wine_glass:

3 Likes

Good to know that the one week I gave up on my tipping competition is the one where I probably would have gotten 8 or 9/9

1 Like

In terms on modern era (~2000 onwards) I wasn’t specifically factoring in Grand Final wins. Was looking at longevity in the Top 8, which many experts refer to when discussing the Swans, Cats, etc.

Sydney have only missed finals once in like 15 years and were just outside the Top 8 in the handful of years beforehand, also making the 1996 GF.

They’re truly an incredible club. Geelong next. Hawks probably next.
Since 2000: Collingwood, Brisbane, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, West Coast and St Kilda have all had their periods too.

Haha if you make the rules specifically to cater for them, then of course they are.
They’re nowhere near Hawthorn or Geelong in that period. Not even remotely close.
Remember though they had a quite larger salary cap in a supposedly equal comp for a lot of that. And now they get ‘Academy’ players like Nick Blakey for peanuts but anyway.

2 Likes

Hilarious Glenn, sorry :joy: And also they made the 1996 GF, 2005 GF, 2006 GF, 2012 GF, 2014 GF, 2016 GF.

And won 2 of them…
They were embarrassed by Hawthorn in 2014.
Hawthorn won 4 in that time, Geelong and Brisbane 3.
Think Sydney 2000-18 covers Brisbane 2005-18. That’s it. Nowhere near the others.

1 Like

They most certainly are not the most successful club but in terms of making finals in the last 20 years they should have the title of most consistent team. If you were a Swans supporter you would surely be happy.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if we go by your metric of Grand Final wins, look at the Brisbane Lions :upside_down_face:

Three-peat (2001-2003), hailed as one of the all time dynasties and first time in many decades.
Look at them the past 10-13 years, absolute basket case, really sad times (only showing great signs this year in recent weeks. And you’d have other teams in that same metric doing awful now too, distorts the picture.

That’s why longevity in making finals is a good stat, many use it and you can see why :slightly_smiling_face:

I think premiership wins count for more than Finals appearances. Sorry. I agree with Glenn.

I remember the 2001-2004 time. Port Adelaide continually made the Prelim without a Grand Final appearance and then won the flag in 2004. Although being minor premiers 2 or 3 of those years they were less successful than Brisbane for obvious reasons. You remember the flags more than you do than the appearances in the finals.

And at the end of the day you make more money for winning flags hence the succession.

3 Likes

I agree.

Although to be honest, the Swans (and/or the Giants) probably have to at least be playing some form of finals football most years if the AFL is to remain somewhat relevant in the Sydney/NSW sporting landscape.

1 Like

West Coast Eagles are the most successful non Victorian club since its debut in VFL/AFL in 1987. Eagles have made the finals in the 1990s and have appeared 3 Grand Finals and won 2 Trophies. Since the John Worsfold era, the Eagles have made finals. I do have to say that’s 2005-07 was a significant era where the Eagles have appeared in 2 grand finals and won the flag in 2006.
West Coast have appeared in 21 Finals Series out of 31 years which is an impressive record by a non-Victorian club. This year Will be 22 finals series out of 32. The Eagles are a strong team - Josh J Kennedy, Shannon Hurn, Jack darling, Mark LeCras, Nathan Vardy, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot yeo, Liam Ryan, Brad Shepperd, chris masten. West Coast can even be flag contenders for 2018.

1 Like

I disagree Swans are more successful than West Coast.

1 Like

Go back to 1992-94 and Swans had back to back to back wooden spoons. In 1996 they’ve put them in the grand final for the first time in more than 5 decades but lost to Roos. The Swans have been the most dominant team in the 21st century and have appeared in 14 finals in 15 years since 2003.

Distorts the picture adding in years where they weren’t successful but anyway. If we go by your metric of finals appearances, let’s wind the dates out a touch to when the Swans were a basket case, or are you only allowed to set parameters? This is quite possibly the most pointless (as in, it proves absolutely nothing - the Ricky Bobby saying springs to mind) discussion I’ve ever been part of on here. Hawthorn and Geelong are both easily much more successful than Sydney have this century. And I hate all 3 anyway (might have something to do with hating 17 teams).
I have never ever seen anyone use this pointless stat unless they are referring to teams making finals without actually being successful enough to win more Grand Finals than Hawthorn and Geelong.
If you read my other bit before, I actually said Sydney 2000-18 had Brisbane 2005-18 covered, didn’t see the point of going through the Lions history post that, as tit is blatantly obvious and crystal balling is exactly that.

So what’s your opinion on the Lions then, now and overall?

Today, I watched the Geelong v Fremantle match on Channel 7. The Fremantle Dockers started off well leading the Cats comfortably by 9 points. During the second quarter, the Dockers squandered so badly where they were scoreless. The Dockers have played so terribly in wintry and cold conditions down in Geelong. I found that the Game was the most boring and one-sided games that I have seen on TV. Ross Lyon will be extremely disgusted about the way Fremantle played during the afternoon. What is bad about Fremantle this year is their motivation skills during away matches.

Ross either has to put up with this rabble for 2 more years or gets a pay out not to coach. Not sure he is that disgusted…

As a Geelong supporter - I’m loving it!

2 Likes

Collingwood will play their first finals in five years after beating Port Adelaide by 51 points. It was close between the two sides for the first three quarters before the Pies blew their opponents away in the final term.

And Port are now done for the year.

Minor concession is they should get two top 12 draft picks.