AFL

Yeah I know. I am not sure a year ban is really necessary just saying that if some spend time in jail for similar punches then surely a 6 week suspension is very light in comparison.

Browsing YouTube footy highlights as I sometimes do, come across this beauty of a memory :hushed:
Brisbane’s Ash McGrath’s incredible, unbelievable 90m bomb and trickle over the line during the 2003 Prelim against Sydney!
Stephen Quartermain can be heard saying it’s one of the greatest finals goals ever and probably best that year, Tim Lane saying to Robert Walls it reminded him of Jezza in Carlton’s glory days. Anyone remember it??

@ 8:40 in this video:

3 Likes

Andrew Gaff flew to Melbourne this morning to attend the evening tribunal hearing. He pleaded guilty to a charge of striking Andrew Brayshaw’s jaw and was suspended for eight matches.

8 weeks for Andrew Gaff. I think that was the right call.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Andrew gaff’s season is over and will not return to playing footy in April 2019. His Brownlow’s Hopes are gone for 2018.

Know something we don’t?

2 Likes

Please don’t tell me you’re sympathetic for this guy.

He basically king hit someone. he got what was coming from him since that second he ‘snapped’.

like sure, he might be feeling guilt or remorse for this, but if Brayshaw turned his head + Gaff throwing the punch, it would’ve been enough to kill.

Maybe I’m very naive in saying this - I don’t think he should go to counselling or anything like that because of his track record thus far. He just needs to apologise behind closed doors to Brayshaw, and possibly have a pint or coffee with him, something guenine and not something for the media, fans or w/ever.

3 Likes

Interesting article in the age with lawyers saying it should be dealt with by police:

Two senior lawyers, David Galbally QC in Melbourne and Tom Percy QC in Perth, have called for the police to investigate whether criminal charges should be laid against Gaff. “A prima facie case for a police investigation. I’ve had people go to jail for less,” Percy said on social media.

I agree. I have seen people spend time in jail for much less and this should be a big wake up call for the AFL and sporting codes where you should not have one set of rules just because you are a sports star.

Lucky thing for Gaff is that I don’t think Brayshaw wants any charges laid. However, this should not be up to him.

Full article: Gaff suspension: what happens on the field may end up in court

i’m a law student (so nowhere near the caliber of those quoted) and i looked at the law of torts last semester. I’d say there is at least a case for a committal hearing to test the waters on this.

the only defense i can see having any chance is the voluntary assumption of risk and it’s a big call to try even that. if he was my client we would go for the early guilty plea and plea for a light sentance

1 Like

Im studying law at the moment as well and if he was my client i would be pleading not guilty. However, I do think there is a case and precedent that needs to be set.

1 Like

Wish the AFL would bring back the old State v State games or even Vic v The Rest.

Could have it played at the end of the season before finals with it being all the other players that didn’t make finals playing.

Are you going back to London anytime soon?

Why do you ask that?

WOW! Jack Riewoldt’s 10 goals has put Richmond to a crunching victory over Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium. Richmond Tigers will be the minor premiers for this year. What is interesting was that Jack Riewoldt score was much higher than the Gold Coast Suns final score.

Oops. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Top 4 now.

@turdall

Wow.

3 Likes

Don’t even! I don’t think Port will be playing finals which is a pity because they have been good this year but lost way too many close ones (Hawthorn, Fremantle, Adelaide and now West Coast) - could be sitting top if we won those 4.

Also didn’t help they lost 3 big players by half time.

1 Like

Port Adelaide top 4 chances have been dented by the Eagles following Jeremy McGovern’s goal to seal the match after the siren. Oh boy what a heartbreak for the Power. The Power have had 4 heartbreaking losses this year.

For my Brownlow votes: 3 Ollie Wines (Pa) 2 Liam Ryan (WC) 1 Elliott Yeo (WC)

1 Like

They had 22 fit players in the third quarter. Lost them in the third quarter.