AFL

Yep there goes the money I put on him for the Brownlow.

Totally agree. There was too much recruiting of second tier players by Silvani. I think he has a lot to answer for. And I am sick of Carlton saying stick with us. They have had more rebuilds than any other club and don’t really seem to lose any players to any other clubs. They are full of excuses and there is obviously some management issue that needs addressing not coaching!

1 Like

There is a fair bit of crossover with women’s cricket and footy in terms of players and supporters. But I’m with Daisy, if AFLW is to grow, the season must be longer. I presume the eventual aim is to run alongside the AFL Men’s comp in winter, but if that occurred currently, it would decimate the VFLW and SA and WA equivalents.

I think they need a colossal cleanout from Carlton Blues because this year, they have played so badly with 2 wins in 2018. Something needs to happen at the end of August. Unfortunately, you cannot be playing so sloppily against a stronger opponent.
There’s a lot of answers that need to be responded following Gold Coast’s horrible performance this afternoon. 23k turned out to watch the Dees v Suns. Tom Lynch’s announcement of wanting to leave Gold Coast puts a huge question to where he will be going. I think that he will either go to Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn or Richmond. Steven May is out of contract in late 2019 and speculation that he might move to Collingwood during the 2020 season.
I am really pissed off with Andrew Gaff’s hit on Andrew Brayshaw during the Western Derby this arvo. This sort of act is intentional. The MRP will need to have a look to see whether this has hit the face. If yes, then Gaff will face a 4 match suspension. This is similar to GWS’s Jeremy Cameron where he knocked Harris Andrews in the head. This caused Andrews concussion.

I don’t think “How quickly can Gold Coast be moved to Tasmania?” is that difficult of a question.

How the fuck do you think Brayshaw has a jaw so badly broken it needed reconstructive surgery?

1 Like

so I had a friend at the match and he said they only cheered because they saw him, the stadium didn’t actually replay the punch or whatever so there would be a lot of people clueless until half time or even full time.

Not excusing shit behaviour tho, no need for this.

1 Like

They’re West Coast supporters, hardly the most intelligent bunch out there.

3 Likes

All I’ll add is I really don’t like seeing witch hunts and the like. It was extremely uncharacteristic and many are divided on intentional or not (I’m with the latter). Upon listening to a lot of talkback and everyone wanting their say, I agree with many it’d be unfair to completely compare with Barry Hall’s infamous incident a decade ago, which was unequivocally intentional. He’ll have to accept a lengthy ban however, probably equal to that (7 weeks) if not more, though because of the aforementioned reasons, his lawyer and pleas should get 7 because of young Brayshaw’s brokwn jaw and teeth. Gaff apologised sincerely and is regretful, from a lot of footage and interviews I’ve seen. He has to live with it however and it will be remembered unfortunately. Thoughts have to be with both players. I also think talk of criminal charge and jail is over the top, Brayshaw nor nobody wants to see Gaff get 6-18 months in prison and WA Police (as Police have usually always done on such instances) should just leave it up to the AFL Tribunal.

Christ. I just saw the footage. Jesus.
That’s assault. WA Police should step in - although I suspect they won’t.

You could… like… not punch someone. Why the hell would you swing like that?

You could… like… accept that you made the wrong decision and not wheel out your CEO to a pointless media conference.

4 Likes

Im sorry i disagree. These are role models. Why do we have one law for one group of people and another for less fortunate? If he did this outside a club he would have a criminal record. Simple.

1 Like

So you’re saying it was a careless hit? You and Adam Simpson clearly in a very small minority.
I’m not comparing it to Barry Hall, completely different system now.
It’s obviously severe impact, high (his head is high), it’s quite clearly intentional. Don’t care how regretful Gaff is now, I’m sure his regret instantly heals Brayshaw’s jaw. Should get 8-10 matches, thoroughly deserves every single one of them.
If I were young Brayshaw, I’d be pressing charges. Whatever the result is for the courts to decide.

1 Like

Let me clarify, I forgot to add, I’m of the view it wasn’t intentional to the jaw (that Gaff intentionally went to punch the chest or associated area).

Don’t get me wrong, book should be thrown at him.

As expected, Gaff has been referred directly to AFL Tribunal tomorrow evening.

WA Police Commissioner said today police would investigate.

2 Likes

Good luck to the Eagles arguing that. So they’re going careless/severe/high or intentional/severe/body ? Don’t see them winning a case with either argument. Christian (for a change) absolutely spot on.

The Gaff punch even got coverage on Nine News Sydney tonight, who only cover GWS or Swans AFL news.

2 Likes

It was a pretty horrific punch, if he’s charged, it would be the step in the right direction, but a 7 week suspension is not enough. I reckon at least a year ban from the AFL would be a more suitable punishment. I don’t see how he could even complete this season after this.

If the 18 year old bloke wont’ press charges, then that’s a different matter, who knows but a likely investigation into it, is the right way to go.

Thank you for that ground breaking news.

Too harsh? If you did that off a football field you would get jail time.

Wasn’t referring to the ‘criminal’ matter but apparently they’ve opened up an investigation into it.