AFL

I have been to the Optus Stadium a few months ago and a staff member told me that I am not allowed to bring in plastic bottles containing water. These water bottles must be emptied. It was a harsh decision by the Optus Stadium staff.

MCG and Etihad has relaxed that a bit and promote their drinking fountains around the stadium to refill. I usually take a thermos of coffee, have heard GMHBA Stadium guards not allowing those in.

Well that’s the West Coast I was expecting this year and the Essendon I was expecting.

That great start to West Coasts season could all come crashing down their next three games aren’t exactly walks in the park.

How much is bottled water at Optus Stadium? Are there any water fountains?

I saw that there are water fountains out of the stadium.

1 Like

@Super_SC Been to multiple games this year at optus and taken water & even soft drink in bottles to each one, so not sure what that staff member was on about…

Extremely disappointing game by West Coast. Felt like they were just phoning it in. Hope they get their act together for next week.

2 Likes

It’s has been a very hard day for West coast where they kicked only one behind in the first quarter. They have lost a lot of ingredients and confidence. 51 400 people attended The game. During the final quarter, some west coast fans have left the stadium. The Essendon Team were the third interstate team to win the first game at the new stadium. West coast face adelaide at adelaide oval and I think they will make some changes so that they will have a stronger lineup.

I read that as being reusable drink bottles. Problem with open soft drink and Water bottles is they may contain alcohol.

One happy little Essendon supporter here! :heart::black_heart:

1 Like

I’m an Essendon supporter too.

Its actually their second game at the new stadium.

Having now looked at the prohibited items list for Perth Stadium, it’s no different to anywhere else.
Nothing open is the usual.
I could have done with a thermos of coffee last week at the MCG, wish you were sitting somewhere near me!

1 Like

Now last night is what Friday night football should look like. One of the best Friday night games this year. Perhaps behind Hawthorn v Sydney. The atmosphere was electric even though it was just 40,000.

2 Likes

Yep, better to see that game even though the four umpires were provided awful decisions both ways. Ratings don’t seem to have improved though, both teams aren’t overly well supported and don’t draw eyeballs.

Yeah, Melbourne have started off well but in the fourth quarter, they failed to Fire. The Port Adelaide team have won the match by 10 points and have pushed themselves in the top 4. Melbourne have suffered losses to Collingwood and now Port Adelaide. They face St Kilda at the MCG on 1 July. If Melbourne win, they can potentially cement their spot in the Top 4.
Meanwhile, West Coast have suffered back to back losses to Sydney and Essendon. It’s not just Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy’s absence. They’ve made so many errors and lacking confidence. They could be at risk of slipping out of Top 4. Nevertheless, West Coast home games have averaged 53 370 people. The Eagles have made a huge transition from Subiaco to Optus Stadium. West Coast face GWS at home on 8 Jul and I expect just over 50 000 people at the stadium.

West Coast apparently made history against Essendon with the most home games in a row to get 50,000 supporters.

2 Likes

West Coast membership numbers have gone up from 2017 with up to 80 000 members. The Eagles are the third largest team in the AFL behind Richmond (who have cracked the 90000 barrier) and Adelaide (approx 82000). However, the issue is that the capacity at Optus Stadium is at 60000. The Stadium is planning to expand to 70 000 in short term.

What

Was a terrific battle

1 Like

What?

You know where ratings figures are available on weekends. Check them out, nothing spectacular, even in Melbourne. Both teams have never been popular with casual observers.