AFL

Won its timeslot by a country mile in its key markets. Not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

That of the eleven Friday night matches this season which did not clash with Commonwealth Games last nights match, eight have had more people watching them in Melbourne on Seven.

Point is, top eight teams are not necessarily going to be ratings winners and attract the eyes of casual viewers over lower ranked clubs like Essendon or Carlton.

Alright, but I think that’s semantics, Seven would care more about the “timeslot” (outperforming all rivals in the timeslot), rather than specific ratings, especially when it comes to lucrative ad sales. It’s live sport, different matches will wildly and vastly change on a game to game basis. The AFL probably cares more about actual numbers on a research and publicity stance.

Its not all about ratings.

GWS have one of the lowest supporter bases though. Adelaide only go around 40,000 to that match earlier this year. I think this will be under the 50,000 mark.

Correct, and I’m not complaining about seeing my team play on a Friday night from interstate. Great for current and potential sponsors and supporters.

Another poster seemed to be grossly offended by a minor mention regarding ratings not matching a close finishand higher standard of match. Don’t be fooled, The AFL dances to Seven’s tune when it comes to fixturing.

1 Like

Easy enough to tell the AFL allow 7 to have impact on the fixture too. Certain sides don’t rate and are kept to a minimum. Other sides are no good but rate so get looked after. Fairly easy to work out!

2 Likes

Gold Coast have lost 8 games in a row so far this season. The Suns have started off with two straight wins but losses to Free and West Coast have taken a hit on Finals hopes. The Gold Coast Suns have been failing so badly in the past 7 years and never made the finals. If things don’t improve, then time will tell. Tommy Lynch will return to Victoria in 2019. I don’t know which club he will be in.
GWS Giants have won three straight matches (Adelaide, Gold Coast & Brisbane) and will face Hawthorn next Saturday night.

Idea for Round 23 Fixture All Times Eastern Standard Time

Thursday Night: Port Adelaide v Essendon Adelaide Oval 7:50PM
Friday Night: Fremantle v Collingwood Perth Stadium 8:10PM
Saturday Afternoon:
Sydney v Hawthorn SCG 1:45PM
Brisbane v West Coast GABBA 2:10PM
Saturday Twilight: Richmond v Western Bulldogs MCG 4:35PM
Saturday Night:
St Kilda v Nth Melbourne Docklands Stadium 7:25PM
Geelong v Gold Coast Kardinia Park 7:25PM
Sunday Early: Carlton v Adelaide Docklands Stadium 12:10PM
Sunday Afternoon: Melbourne v GWS MCG 3:20PM

Can’t have Thursday night footy due to 6 day breaks.
Friday night can only be one of:
PP v Ess, Fre v Coll, Syd v Haw, Geel v GCS.
Ch 7 only have 3 games to cover to take them to 77, doubt they’d try and persuade a club to play Thursday off a 5 day break in the lead up to a finals series just to air a game then.

Wtf

Is this another ridiculous suggestion they should fold?

I think the AFL should make Thursday night permanent and look at having two games on Friday with Seven to then take the best game and Foxtel to have the other/This was suggested by Chris Judd. I also think they should make Sunday ‘night’ games a thing. This would leave two Saturday night games, one Saturday afternoon game, One sunday afternoon game and one Saturday twilight game.

Permanent Thursday night is never happening due to the AFLPA. I suggested 2 Friday night games in 2012 when the 9th match slid into the fixture. I’d play it at the expense of Sun 4.40. Sunday night didn’t work.

And why is that?

Mandated minimum 6 day breaks. They’d actually prefer 7 day breaks. AFL trying to minimise 6 day breaks in the fixture currently, thats why Thursday can only happen at the start and during/post byes.
Also, Thursday night footy really doesn’t work in Melbourne. Not sure why.

1 Like

The Richmond v Carlton on Thursday Night in Round 1 had 90000 fans at the MCG. This was a marquee game. They want to attract more fans as part of the seasons opener. Carlton have lost 5 Season Opener games to Richmond at the MCG.

In 2014, they’ve had 6 Thursday Night Football games - R1 (Carlton v Port Adelaide), R2 (Carlton v Richmond), R5 (Brisbane v Richmond), R9 (Adelaide v Collingwood), R11 (Sydney v Geelong), R19 (Fremantle v Carlton). The Carlton v Port Adelaide was shown exclusively on Fox Sports with Seven Adelaide taking the telecast. Unfortunately, it did not work.

Not counting the Thursday night game to open the season, they don’t work. Could play that particular game at 3am on a Tuesday and it would pull 80K.
I’m well aware of the history thanks, not sure what Carlton losing the last 5 season openers has to do with it?

But as I suggested that would be less of an issue if there were 2 Friday night games and 1 Thursday night game.

Yes it would be less of an issue but still an issue. What’s the fascination with Thursday night footy about anyway? Think it’s up there with Sunday night and Monday night’s as extremely dumb times to play footy myself.

1 Like

Well, lots of people are a fan of it (including me).