AFL

Not just Fridays either,

Well unfortunately we are going to get some unwatchable games. Its not like they can’t just air the bad teams. I just think Friday should be marquee and set up the round.

Today the Carlton v Fremantle game was a one sided match. The blues want to play well this year, but they have been goalless in the first half. Fremantle flogged Carlton by a whopping 57 points. I don’t know what’s going to happen with the blues this year. The Blues have struggled so badly with injuries. This is going to be hard for the Blues. Brendon Bolton needs to go now - the Carlton team have scored so terribly in the past two seasons.
St Kilda have struggled so badly in 2018 having won only one game (over Brisbane Lions). Nick Riewoldt’s retirement at the end of last season was a big event. Alan Richardson has never coached the saints to finals footy. The bottom line is if saints lose more games, then Richardson needs to resign.
Another problem is that Carlton having Friday night games. I don’t know why the afl wants to have Carlton games on Friday night over matches played at optus stadium. Carlton home game crowds have fallen sharply from last year. I think it’s about time that there needs to be more Friday games to be scheduled at Optus stadium. West coast only have or had one game on Friday night.
There needs to be a push into more Friday night games at Optus stadium. The Optus stadium wants to deliver higher crowds especially during prime time games. West coast and Fremantle want to have a few more home games on Friday nights.

Time zones are an issue at Optus… Friday nights are going to mean a 5:30 start local time to satisfy broadcasters and isn’t going to satisfy locals when work and family commitments are taken into consideration.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. What is happening this Thursday? Whats the start time in WA? I actually think Fremantle and West Coast need to push for that Sunday evrning game. It was a ripper to watch at the beginning of the year. The sunset made it even more of a spectacle.

Out of curiosity besides Marc Murphy what injuries have Carlton really had?

West Coast v Essendon this Thursday will start at 6.10pm WA time. In the past Perth matches started at either 5.40pm or 6.40pm depending on which day it was played. I think match starting time should suit local fans, not eastern states viewers. It should be at 7.10pm WA time.

Its still very early for WA fans. Those finishing work at 5:30 will struggle to make it.

After West Coast went down to Sydney at the SCG, Richmond was on top of the ladder, beating Geelong by 3 goals in front of 46k at the MCG. They have won 16 straight games at the MCG. The weather was horrible with rain and wind blowing. Richmond are in exhilarating form. Following Cats loss, Melbourne jumped up to 4th position. They face Port Adelaide away at Adelaide Oval.
West Coast haven’t beaten in Sydney since 1999 (at the SCG) and 2007 (ANZ Stadium). The thing is that Sydney are in scintillating form. On Thursday, West Coast face Essendon at Optus Stadium. Essendon are yet to win a game at the new venue.
Meanwhile Adelaide has gone down to Hawthorn Hawks at the MCG. Just 26000 people have attended the match. Following last year’s Grand Final loss to Richmond, Adelaide Started 2018 with a loss to the Dons before a win over the Tigers. The crows have lost to Melbourne so badly, then the GWS, Fremantle and now Hawthorn. They face West Coast in a fortnight time at Adelaide Oval. If things don’t improve, then what’s going to happen?
Gold Coast felt heartbroken following a 2-point loss to the Saints. The Suns started off well but in the final quarter, they mentally froze and lost the plot. Just over 10k came to the stadium to watch these two sides play. The Suns have won only three games and sit 15th on the ladder.

Well that’s the case with a lot of teams considering its only been around for 6 months.

1 Like

And just to let you know:
Sydney have beaten West Coast at Optus Stadium by 29 points (Round 1).
North Melbourne have beaten Fremantle at Optus Stadium by 28 points (Round 10).

Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney and West Coast have achieved victories at Optus Stadium. West Coast have achieved the most victories at the venue with six wins. Fremantle with 5.

I know. Im just saying a lot of teams have lost there. Essendon have only played their once. They way you stated it was as if its a ground they have struggled with.

As you said only 4 teams have won their. 2 of those the home sides.

In July, there will be 8 Sunday Arvo games. Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and GWS Giants have not played at the stadium.

My point exactly!

I heard from the West Australian saying that the West Coast will eye for an AFL crowd record. West Coast, who sit 2nd on the ladder, face Essendon at Perth Stadium on Thursday Night. Essendon have a bigger fan base in WA. Since its move to the Optus Stadium, West Coast average crowd of 53 697 was up by nearly 17k from last season, where they played in their final year at Subiaco Oval.
Fans will have to arrive early for a 6:10pm start. I think that a 6:10pm start is ideal for WA, given that it is 2 hours behind Victoria. Unfortunately, there will be no special buses going to Optus Stadium, however they can hop on a shuttle bus from Elizabeth Quay and Perth Stadium.

There was rain from about 5-6PM but it had stopped when I got to the ground just before 7. Didn’t rain for the entire game and there were colder days at Footy Park that I sat through.

As for Gold Coast, they usually get their biggest crowd of the year for their home game on Marathon weekend (10 days from now) and given Collingwood are playing it should get close to 20K but I don’t like that it’s a night game rather than a twilight game (and not because I have to be up at 3:30 the next morning either).

I guess that’s the time everyone is finishing work etc. Most probably saw the rain and didn’t want to risk it. Still not defending the crowd. The numbers at Adelaide Oval have been down for both teams. As I said the cost involved in going to the game is a lot higher than those in Melbourne and the prices of food and drink are just ridiculous at Adelaide Oval. Hopefully they can do something like the MCG did.

And it’s card only at the Adelaide Oval for food, only the modern generation wouldn’t pay with card at the footy at most other grounds.

Cost of a water bottle is $5, while Little Creatures will be $10.20. I think that there has been a huge spike in food and drink prices. If I were you, I’d rather take my own food to the stadium.

1 Like

Eat before going to the ground, every chance the over zealous security guards will confiscate food for an obscure reason.

1 Like