AFL

There was no suggestion in turdall’s post alleging the booing was racially motivated.

3 Likes

The 2018 AFLW Awards were held at Melbourne Docklands tonight. For the second year in a row, a premiership player is also the year’s best and fairest, with Western Bulldogs’ Emma Kearney taking out the B&F award. Collingwood’s Chloe Molloy (niece of former player Jarrod Molloy) won the NAB Rising Star award. Melbourne’s Aliesha Newman won the goal of the year while Carlton forward Tayla Harris’ grab in the season opener against Collingwood claimed mark of the year. Western Bulldog Brooke Lochland won the goalkicking award after she finished 12 for the season.
Yesterday GWS midfielder Courtney Gum, who made her AFLW debut this year, was named AFL Players Association Most Valuable Player. Chloe Molloy was named Best First Year Player, Adelaide captain Chelsea Randall voted the Most Courageous Player while Melbourne star Daisy Pearce won the Best Captain award.

So Optus Stadium has replaced Subiaco Oval and the AFL is still scheduling Saturday night fixtures for 6.10pm. A slight improvement from 5.40 a few years ago at Subi, but given most WA games are produced by Fox Footy and that there’s no residential area surrounding the immediate stadium precinct meaning no curfews on night games like at Subiaco, could the AFL considering scheduling WA Saturday night games for 6.40 even 7.10pm?

I can remember when games were at the WACA they were sometimes played at 8.10pm!!! (10.40EST/11.40 Daylight Saving) Surely 6.40 would be a good fit which would mean 8.40 in the east.

My issue is that it doesn’t get dark till about 6.30 in Perth in March and April and they don’t really feel like night games early on. Even finals in September there’s plenty of daylight for at least the first half.

There was an article in The West Australian on Tuesday evening, which said that calls are being made for Optus Stadium to host more Sunday night games, starting at 7.20pm AEST (5.20pm in Perth).

1 Like

I think Optus Stadium should host most Sunday night games. It was hugely successful. I would give Optus Stadium 16 of the games, with the Gold Coast getting 2 and Adelaide/Port Adelaide getting the other 4.

It can happen, depending on the crowd attendance of the game.
Lets go back to 2014 with the Collingwood v Carlton match at the MCG. About 40936 people attended that match. Unfortunately, it wasn’t successful, especially being played in Melbourne. The AFL has stopped the Sunday Night Games being played in Victoria.

I think Sunday Night games can work but just not in Melbourne. It will never be successful in Melbourne.

But I do think they could, potentially, be marketable in SA and QLD and obviously WA. I think if they could attract teams like Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon to the Gold Coast for Sunday night games it could attract a crowd and tv audience - and in QLD the time difference would work as well.

Wouldn’t they need to wait until the next broadcast agreement? And would this match become a fta match?

We will find out in Late October when Gillon McLachlan releases fixtures in 2019. Fox Sports will simulcast all H&A games. It depends on the timeslot.

That’s nice for those who can afford pay tv.

Don’t they already?

From the 2012-2016 deal, Fox Sports broadcasted all home and away games. This was repeated in the 2017-2022 rights deal.

Huge win to Port Adelaide. First, technical, top 8 side they have beaten in over a year. Sydney was 6th before the ball was bounced. I wonder if they will be considered contenders this year, will have to back it up against sides like Adelaide in the next month.

3 Likes

As a Power supporter, I wasnt overly confident against Sydney, knowing our record against top sides, but we seem to have improved so far, but still early days. Very happy with the win though.

Have to admit i felt the same way. But i think for any team to beat Sydney they need to keep Buddy to a maximum of 4 goals

Power were good, but Sydney’s second half was woeful

1 Like

They were woeful because of the defensive structure set up against them

Port’s defensive effort definitely lifted, but there was some utterly poor play from the Swans (inability to take a mark, kicking into congested contests, out of bounds on the full)

There were signs of this in Round 1 as well - but the Swans got around it because the Eagles defence were basically turnstiles

Hawthorn beating the Cats has giving me a lot of optimism for the rest of the season.

Do you reckon we’d be considered a top 4 chance if we beat Richmond?

I see your point but I wondered if that was due to the structure, like Port did last year, Port had defensively on the Swans. Either way winning in Sydney is massive and a hard task. Port will take that win and should give them some confidence. However, I do think wins to Essendon and Adelaide would be more impressive in the coming weeks. Two teams Port were unable to beat last year.

It was a good win. But I am not ready to jump on the Hawthorn bandwagon just yet. They beat Collingwood, a team in my opinion will finish bottom 4, and Geelong (another team I don’t rate). If they beat Richmond I will reassess my opinions on Hawthorn. I have a huge soft spot for Hawthorn. Shaun Burgoyne, a previous Port Adelaide premiership player, is my favourite all time player of the game - I just wonder the team Port Adelaide would be with him in it (I think they would have won the 2014 Prelim final if they had him). Port got absolute rubbish for Burgoyne (picks 9 and 16 I think) and with three first round picks all they got with John Butcher (delisted), Andrew Moore (traded) and Jasper Pittard. The irritating thing is with three first round picks Port missed out on the likes of Nathan Fyfe who went at pick 20 to Fremantle. To think that could have been the trade - Burgoyne for Fyfe.

1 Like