AFL

Port did really well to shut down the Swans’ ability to transition from defence to attack - quite a few clubs did it last year and its a key in beating the swans.

Match review officer (terrible title) Michael “Chrisso” Christian (yes the former Ten caller and Collingwood player, not the 2DayFM idiot) has come under fire for running onto the field during his daughter school match, to talk to the umpire.

He has apologised and spoken with AFL top brass.

1 Like

Annoying news to hear that the AFL Gran Final will stay at the MCG until 2057 (or whatever). It is quite an unfair deal on interstate teams and interstate supporters. Some teams only get to play at the MCG once throughout the year which is a massive disadvantage if you play a team like Richmond in the Grand Final. Also the cost of getting to the Grand Final is ridiculous for fans. Price of airfares goes up by around triple. Perhaps the AFL can now look at things like that for supporters.

The AFL Grand Final will never leave the MCG. The sooner people realise this the better. The same can be said with the NRL Grand Final, it’ll probably never leave Sydney. Melbourne is the home of AFL and the MCG is a 100,000+ seat capacity venue. No other venue even comes close to that. Perth Stadium is 60,000. That’s 40,000 difference

I don’t see the point of holding the Grand Final at a venue that holds less. Which means less fans can go and fans will miss out.

Interstate fans still travel. Just have a look at past attendance figures

3 Likes

I understand your statement but I think its a very naive comment from a typical Melbourne person. The AFL was obviously very worried it would leave the homeland of Melbourne. Its not about capacity its about revenue. A game at Optus Stadium or Adelaide oval could create just as much revenue and exposure to other states. Also its a national competition not a Victorian one. Yes attendance was good for the Adelaide v Richmond game but it was extremely expensive if people wanted to fly. They must cater for the interstate fans and not allow this to happen
Also it needs to be remembered that interstate teams get a maximum of 2 games at the MCG every year. Its a huge disadvantage. Probably why Sydney lost s many grand finals and potentially why Adelaide lost.

1 Like

Yet, Brisbane won three in a row

The best team wins on the day

1 Like

I am not saying it is impossible. Just there is a huge disadvantage. Best team does win but the ground does make a HUGE difference. Sydney would have won if it was played at the SCG in previous years.

All happy for this deal if they offer more games to interstate teams at the G. Port are playing their next two games in Melbourne at Etihad. Why not at the G? Make it fair is all I am saying.

The best team wins on the day, remember Sydney in 2012 where no one though they’d beat the Hawks? Also, ticket allocation is split 50/50 between the fans.

Because those clubs who they’re playing, Etihad is their home ground (ie; Essendon, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and Carlton)

1 Like

There is the potential that the Perth Stadium will be expanded to 70 000 or even up to 80 000.

I’m not sure whether the MCG can expand to 110 000.

1 Like

Your probably correct since a new stand would have to be built.

That is my point though. Its not fair they don’t get the same exposure to the MCG as other Vic teams.

Wasn’t talking about allocation of tickets. More exposure to the ground. There was a point where teams didn’t get to train on the MCG.

With this new deal

Non-Victorian clubs will be offered more access to train on the MCG ahead of home and away games and finals

1 Like

Its a start. just need to get onto being able to play their more often. Interstate teams have to play Geelong in Geelong. Teams like Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood are allowed to play them at the MCG. It is these sorts of inconsistencies that don’t make the competition fair.

I know it was talked about earlier in this thread but for Tasmanian football, it’s looking like the statewide league is set to be axed again. Will hear more over the next few days but it looks like a strengthened northern league and southern league and possibly a team in either the VFL or NEAFL. Gillon will probably make another trip down here soon to announce the changes but it was from the recent audit he commissioned along with the new AFL Tas CEO.

AFL CEO Gillion McLachlan was on Sunrise this morning and said that part of the reason why the Grand Final is at the MCG until 2057 because it takes 18 months to two years to plan the Grand Final which means they don’t know who will finish on top to host it or who will make it.

There’s a lot to consider IF they were able to move it around the country and IF they were to find out a week prior. Such as; catering, deliveries, staffing, tickets etc. I work at a major event venue and it takes months and months to organise a huge event.

I guess this ain’t happening then

2 Likes

It’s PUBLIC ticket allocation after all the members (MCC and AFL) and and corporate packages (which are now on sale from $1300 which arguably is the best deal given that gets you into an MCG final in the first 3 weeks of the finals), which worked out at about 15000 per club the year I was lucky in the ballot (2016), since increased to 17000. The allocation for last year was believed to be as follows…

In answer to guidelines (a), (b) and (c) the AFL proposes that tickets to the 2017 AFL Grand Final be allocated in approximately the following manner:

Competing Club Members 16,000 - 35,000
AFL Clubs (18) 0 - 10,000
MCC Reserve 16,000 - 26,000
AFL Members 13,000 - 23,000
AFL/Medallion Club Members 3,000 - 5,000
AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligation 5,000 - 30,000
Competing Clubs 0 - 5,000

Total     100,000 (approx)

I wasn’t the one that said that about ticket allocation. But again that wasn’t really what I was trying to get at. Seems like the AFL is willing to finally let interstate teams train on the MCG and play more games. Interesting to note GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane only got one game each at the G this year with GWS already playing their game.

Brisbane had a very horrible day of AFL where it was thrashed by Richmond at the MCG. Their full time score: Richmond 16.14 (110) b Brisbane 2.5 (17)

• Brisbane Lions has their lowest score in its 21-year history.
  • Brisbane had their lowest score at the MCG during the AFL-era.
  • Brisbane was goalless during half time which was the first time that it had occured in its team’s history.
  • Richmond’s 93-point win was the biggest at the MCG since Round 21, 1996 where the team beat Fitzroy by 151 points.
  • Brisbane started off 0-4 for the season
1 Like