AFL

Do you think Wilkie is that powerful anymore.

As a Hobartian, I feel he really hasn’t really delivered much in the last term as his power has diminished. Even more with the ‘Teals’. I suspect.

Wilkie’s margin is huge, so the majors really don’t bother with Clark, and I reckon if the state asks the feds for coin, I reckon they might point to MacPoint itself and go, well we gave you heaps and done nothing…Sorry budgets tight, can’t afford that…sorry…

They have nothing to loose…how many times did the then PM and then Opposition leader visit Hobart in the last election campaign…

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Wilkie isn’t interested in pursuing anything and there’s no reason for them to give anything to Clark because they keep voting him in but I agree he doesn’t seem to have much power at all.

I reckon the deal will eventually get done but it’s going to be between the two governments and the AFL and without Wilkie’s involvement.

I am sure he and his fellow state ‘wilkie lite’ independent Ms Johnson, will be there cutting the ribbon…

1 Like

Is relocating cricket games from Bellerive to the new stadium part of the deal perhaps - as you say hard to justify when it’s only used 11 times a year.

1 Like

You would assume that BBL and national team games would move across, a few state games as well, plus the state footy grand finals. Concerts of course but I’m not sure how you could justify two venues at this capacity. Blundstone would have to be turned into a Junction Oval-esque state cricket centre.

2 Likes

Yes Shield games could stay at Bellerive.

Heres what I would assume would be at the new stadium:

AFL (4 North Melbourne games + Home Tasmania games)
AFLW (Tasmania)
A-League (if a team is launched, which is likely)
Hobart Hurricanes BBL
Concerts
International sport games
The Ashes tests played in Tassie

So not a stadium that isn’t used for 6 months, a multipurpose stadium that is used for lots of things. I doubt there would be a 750 million dollar stadium built just for AFL for 6 months of the year.

As part of the initial announcements Cricket Tasmania were a part of all of that too.

One of the big problems with Bellerive is it’s in the middle of a residential area with little parking and everyone has to travel to get there. There’s also no further room for expansion there.

I believe there was a new GBE formed recently called Stadiums Tasmania or similar which was going to be the almagamation of all those facilities and York Park, the Silverdome in Launceston, possibly MyStateBank Arena and some of the north west grounds too like Dial Park in Penguin which is a part of the proposal for getting an upgrade to AFL/AFLW standard.

Ultimately, I think the plan could be to replace Bellerive and perhaps make it more residential or housing or similar.

1 Like

Let’s unpack:

Are you certain that North would be playing in Tassie still?

Some games would be played there but I wouldn’t play in such a big stadium. Blundstone would be more likely, unless there are literally no other footy fields in the state.

1. No A-Leagues team will be from Tassie for the next 10 years, an NSD team is more likely, but even then not until it is a full competition.
  2. I hope that they do not play at an oval venue. A smaller, rectangular venue will be the home.

They would probably play their Hobart games there.

Tassie sadly will never host another Ashes Test, save for there being neither Optus nor the WACA, Adelaide Oval, Gabba or Manuka Oval being available.

The stadium would host their T20 or ODI each season however, and I could see women’s internationals being played there if Blundstone no longer exists.

Like what sports?

No it would just be plain idiotic to make a stadium only used for a short part of the year.

I think this would be smart, as having two competing venues would be a waste.

Probably, although I think one of the Tassie games will be North Melbourne v Tasmania each year counted as a North Melbourne home game.

Maybe not, but I doubt Blundstone will exist once the new stadium is built. It will probably have the same fate as Subiaco Oval.

Some oval shaped sport stadiums can have rectangular oval sports, SCG/Optus etc.

I agree. I doubt it would not be used if there is a new stadium, would also get more people in the new one then Blundstone.

Somehow I could see the new Tassie stadium replacing Manuka Oval in tests. Manuka will have 13.5k capacity while Tasmania stadium will have 27k, more than half that.

If T20 World Cup comes there etc. and other international cricket.

I agree. As I have said, it will probably go the way of Subiaco Oval when Optus opened.

The two Perth AFLW teams play at suburban ovals mostly.

Well aware, but the viewing is terrible. No fan wants to watch there.

My point was Manuka doesn’t host Tests often, and as such Tassie won’t.

So international cricket yes, but do “international events” include other sports?

Yeah but the WACA is still open.

Yes they do.

I know, but I think it will have to be either York Park or Blundstone that shuts down, and we know which one will. If you haven’t guessed, it will most likely be Blundstone. Launceston would have a big cry over losing their stadium so Hobart can have 2. GC/Canberra/Newcastle/Adelaide only have 1 stadium over 20k, while Tasmania will have three of around the same size. Speaking of Adelaide, Football Park became a thing of the past once Adelaide Oval opened. So it would be safe to say that Blundstone would become a thing of the past based on Adelaide/Perth, and become new houses.

Yeah they were, I think the idea is all state cricket will be played at the new venue and Bellerive turned into a training and administrative hub.

Whilst a great spot for TV pictures, up and down the river, the beach and the mountain, for car centric Hobart its a bloody nightmare!

Yeah quietly the state government introduced legislation in April 2022, transferring ownership of MyState Bank arena, and the Silverdome to the new Stadiums Tasmania GBE.

My understanding is they are to facilitate upgrades at Bellerive (which I would like to think might be paused), Dial Range upgrades at Penguin, The greater MyState Bank / Larry Kestleman project, A new Northern Netball centre and eventual transfer of ownership of Bellerive to the state from the Clarence Council and York park from the Launceston City Council to the state.

I think the Twin Ovals at Kingston was also part of the plan.

Its almost like they want significant property holdings to borrow against to maybe help pay for a new venue…just saying…

4 Likes

Not sure if others listen to Trade Radio but I have stopped listening as much this year. It is just full of ads. The most action is currently happening and I have just listened to 10 minutes of adverts. It is a total scam.

1 Like

Typical SEN product unfortunately.

3 Likes

Only worth listening to in the last couple of hours, and with the change this year to not having people physically go in a room a lot of the drama is lost. Sadly Lloyd and Silvagni also added about as much as Oscar the Grouch would to a discussion on cleanliness.

Two-time Brownlow medallist Chris Judd has been inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame.

2 Likes
1 Like

This doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like