AFL

I do think I made a post above that was amazed at Collingwood this year. It was truely a fantastic season and they had a game that was really intriguing one to watch. All Collingwood supporters should be proud. McRae did a great job with the group this year.

Interesting fact about the coaching panel 7 of the coaches coaching next year played in the 2004 grand final. And none of them coaching brisbane or port Adelaide.

1 Like

This was never the issue. Perhaps check out some of the media reports from last night to see the specifics.

Pretty sure it was. One of the big things against him were comments from 2013 - comments that he didn’t make, apparently he wasn’t even at the church then and comments he hasn’t said whether he agrees with or not.

A lot has changed in 9 years and whether he has the views or not shouldn’t have anything to do with football. Is he going to make the entire club go to church on Sundays? Is he going to protest that Essendon shouldn’t be given any games on Sundays? Is he going to protest against the Pride Round and everything else the club does for the LGBTIQA+ community? I’d say no to all of those.

He wasn’t even given a chance and this was just people trying to dig stuff up because of their anti-Christian tolerance and wanting to make an example of it. What he has said is correct, he can work with people respectfully and when people have differing views on a bunch of social issues which can be complex. These issues should not have anything to do with the core operations of the football club and he should have been given a chance rather than being judged and convicted.

If he was happy to keep his faith to himself as a personal matter it should have been allowed. A lot of people have changed their views since 2013 as well - remember that was 4 years before the SSM vote, a lot has changed in 10 years.

1 Like

That was Haneen’s choice. What has surfaced re Thorburn gave him no choice. As a Essendon fan, we’ve dodged a major bullet.

1 Like

Looks like the AFL is now allowing sponsors logos to appear where previously the apparel supplier’s logo was. Personally I’m not a fan but I’m sure clubs will increase revenue.

1 Like

St Kilda and Gold Coast say hi

I wasn’t aware, when did they change?

1. Also seen this year with AFLW. If people don’t notice it, i reckon the subtle change is ok if it means more money for clubs
3 Likes

What do people think about having a Tasmania team for the AFL?

Personally, hope that the island state does get a team for the AFL. The location right near the Hobart CBD looks like a great place, and can help boost the economy by travellers visiting from Victoria, Australia and the world. There are endless possibilities for a new stadium, it can be used for other things than AFL.

As well as a new Tasmania team, the new stadium can also be used for other things, such as North Melbourne games played in Tasmania (moved from Blundstone), Hobart Hurricanes during the Big Bash League, Concerts, Ashes cricket tests, T20 events and international cricket, also a AFLW Tasmania team (very likely as all other teams have one, the AFL will likely create a AFLW team for Tassie as well)

The stadium will apparently have a 27k capacity limit, which will make it the 11th biggest stadium in Australia, tied with Perth Oval. I personally would increase the capacity, but it is good even with 27k, remember Hobart has 250k people compared to 1.3 million in Adelaide and 2 million in Perth. It could become a landmark that lots of people come to see on trips to Hobart even.

With the teams, lots of AFL players have come from Tasmania. It would be good for Tasmania to have one as lots of people live in Tassie (500k) and would not have to move, especially if they lived in Hobart. Tasmania has some very good sporting players and would be good to represent the Apple Isle with a big stadium and a AFL team.

What do you think?

I can’t wait. It’s been a long time coming and I will definitely be planning Tasmanian trips to go see Port Adelaide play a local team.

1 Like
2 Likes

Surely that won’t be a thing once they get their own team.

1 Like

You I doubt it will be but it will be a huge blow to North Melbourne. My assumption is the Hawthorn deal will continue.

1 Like

Since the Tasmanian government bankroll both those clubs playing in their state I doubt they’d want either team playing there when they get a team of their own.

1 Like

North more likely to merge with St. Kilda than Relocate to Tasmania.

I never suggested they would relocate…

Yeah I still think the Hawthorn deal almost pays for itself. And it’s in a different location to that of Hobart. I doubt Launceston would want to lose the games Hawthorn bring in. It will be interesting to see.

1 Like

With all the community sentiment turning against the AFL because of the stadium demand I can’t see them keeping the Hawks deal and with Kennett being outspoken against the bid we won’t want to support that either.

The AFL bid is for an AFL and AFLW team so both have been calculated and the license will be granted for both - although that will be interesting as the current Kangaroos AFLW team license was granted a few years ago as a joint bid and are the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos.

It would be political suicide for us to keep funding other teams if the license is granted and if the license isn’t granted, I also can’t see them being renewed either. I do feel we’re going to know soon though and the license will be granted. Eventually the Feds will contribute to the stadium too I believe. Being in Hobart where the seat is Clark and is a strongly held independent seat means that funding discussions will take longer and Wilkie is also quite against that part of the proposal too (and maybe even the whole AFL proposal).

I feel there’s been a lot going on in the background though lately with Gil and the Tasmanian Government (Liberal) and even with a change to the Labor Federal Government I think a deal will be struck however currently the federal labor party control the Tasmanian party and they are actively campaigning against the stadium so it’s quite a political hot topic at the moment and will be interesting to see how it plays out but I think it will be all good.

AFLW team won’t happen for a good 5 years after the men start playing.

I think the biggest problem with a new stadium in Hobart is that it’s hard to justify on less than the full 11 games a year, but a Tasmanian team will want to be not seen as too Hobart centric.

So I suspect Tasmania might end up buying the ‘home’ games of some of the Melbourne teams to play them in Launceston, so having Hawthorn v Tasmania in Launceston as a shifted home game, etc. to keep somewhat of a balance, but that they wouldn’t want any more neutral matches.

I really hope that part of a new stadium is sorting out transport. Getting into the Hobart CBD is surprisingly difficult, and there’s not much parking around - so trying to get a lot of tourists in for a game and out to a hotel in reasonable time might be tough.

I don’t get building on a new site that won’t be much better than the small suburban streets Blundstone is on.