AFL

The Crows won over the Eagles by 16 points at Optus Stadium. It was Adelaide’s first win at Optus Stadium. Josh J Kennedy kicked seven goals in his farewell game. It would have been nice if the Eagles won that match.

Eight

8 Likes

Very nice send off for JK. Shame to not get the win, but what a game. Legend.

5 Likes

Has a coach ever returned to a club to coach after being sacked?

3 Likes

David Parkin. He first joined Carlton in late 1980 and helped the team to win back to back VFL flags in 1981 and 1982, before he was sacked at the end of 1985 season. Parkin returned the Blues in 1991 at the invitation of new club president John Elliott, and stayed there until he retired at the end of 2000 season. During his second stint, he took the Blues to grand finals in 1993, 1995 and 1999, winning the 1995 AFL premiership.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind having Mark Williams back at Port

3 Likes

I have been thinking the same thing

3 Likes

Melbourne have secured a top 4 finish after beating the Carlton Blues in a heart stopper at the MCG. Kysaiah Pickett booted the match winning goal to secure Demons the victory.
Next week the Demons will travel to Gabba to face the Lions which will be top 2 up for grabs. Can Melbourne secure the top 2? Time will tell.

Melbourne is no guarantee for Top 4 yet. Their Brisbane match next week will likely detemine who stays in the Top 4, pending other results.

2 Likes

Geelong will finish this season as minor premiers after thrashing Gold Coast for 60 points at Carrara yesterday. Before the match, Gary Ablett Jr. received the Suns’ life membership.

Even if Collingwood beats Sydney today and Carlton next Sunday, and Geelong lose to West Coast next Saturday, the Cats’ superior percentage means they can’t be replaced by the Pies on top of the ladder.

Well it’s not impossible…

Full report: https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/rare-haydn-bunton-recording-rediscovered

4 Likes

I think it is. Wouldn’t Collingwood need to win by over 200 points in both of their next games? And have Geelong lost by a similar amount?

1 Like

Collingwood chances of a Top 2 finish have nearly been extinguished after losing to the Swans by 33 points at the SCG. Collingwood simply fumbled and missed a lot of chances. Swans will need to win over the Saints to secure a 2nd place finish. But this depends on the Lions-Melbourne match in terms of percentage.

Meanwhile, Cats are number 1 on the ladder and cannot be moved.

What are we thinking for first week of finals?

Geelong vs melbourne
Sydney vs brisbane
Fremantle vs carlton
Collingwood vs richmond

That’s my predictions for the first week of finals.

Was travelling home in the car listening to the coverage of this on the radio and I’m not a supporter of either team but it was exciting listening. I didn’t even hear the siren sound on the radio due to all the crowd noise and the excitement of it all. Watched the final 10 minutes of the game today just to have some vision go with it all. Felt a bit sorry for the Blues but it was just like a grand final when the siren sounded with the stark contrast between both teams.

Yep that would have been the case if Collingwood had won today. Technically and mathematically possible but a lot of records would need to be set next week. Although with the Swans beating the Pies today has ended all that speculation! Now for the Cats to claim the big one!

1 Like

My prediction lineup for finals:
1st Qualifying Final: Geelong Cats v Collingwood (MCG)
2nd Qualifying Final: Sydney Swans v Melbourne (SCG)
1st Elimination Final: Fremantle v Carlton (Optus Stadium)
2nd Elimination Final: Brisbane Lions v Richmond (The Gabba)

Unfortunately I don’t think that lineup is possible. By the looks of it you have Carlton winning which means Collingwood won’t make top 4. In fact I don’t think my predictions are possible either.

1 Like

There is turmoil at Essendon after they were thrashed by Port Adelaide by 84 points last evening. Various reports say that club president Paul Brasher will quit as early as today, and coach Ben Rutten has been sacked as well.

Brasher has been a big supporter of CEO Xavier Campbell, who in turn has backed Ben Rutten.

UPDATE

1 Like