AFL

I think it’s time to get rid of the draw.

I went to Marvel Stadium last night. First time I’ve attended a draw.

I wonder more if it’s time for us to display the remaining time at the ground - it flashes on the boundary line briefly with five minutes to go but maybe it could appear more regularly.

There is no way Cumberland would have played on if he knew the remaining time. I think giving players more idea of exactly how much time is left could allow even more intense outcomes and excitement at the ground.

Leave it as is. Neither team played well enough to get four points in the allocated time. Why give one of them more time to do so and gain an advantage on the ladder?

Agree with status quo for finals, although I do miss the prospect of replays

7 Likes

It’s just the anticlimax I don’t like about the draw

1 Like

I have no problem with the draw during the home and away season. A draw is a draw, natural and pure so I don’t think it’s worth messing with it. I think the intensity of the last 5 minutes or so when scores are level outweighs any sour feeling once the siren sounds.

2 Likes

Yeah I understand what you are saying I just don’t see what a draw really brings to the game and whether it has a value. I get the traditionalist don’t like change. Personally I would just rather a result.

1 Like

I was one of the 72k people at the MCG tonight. So happy to see my Pies win. The crowd went wild when Jamie Elliott kicked a goal after the siren to win it for us.

Definitely should’ve been a free kick to Ginnivan for a high tackle in the first quarter.

3 Likes

Agree, I think the NRL Golden Point, where any score in extra time wins, adds more excitement, though I acknowledge not everyone is a fan of it.

1 Like

His actions are so dangerous so i am glad the umpire isn’t paying them. Hopefully that deters him from shrugging his shoulders.

1 Like

Great finish

1 Like

Yes, what he’s doing is silly and dangerous, but just isolating it to yesterday’s incident, he definitely should’ve got the free kick. Yes he has form, but I don’t think you could clearly conclude that he attempted to duck before the tackle was laid. By not paying the free kick, it looks like the AFL are condoning high tackles, and someone will seriously get hurt one day.

Update on the situation tonight:
https://twitter.com/TomBrowne7/status/1551467669617983489

He’s now manufactured a circumstance where he’ll not get paid frees for legitimate incidents too - its a risky strategy from Ginnovan that he may lose out on.

1 Like

It’s his fault for not getting a free kick though. Monfries was the same for port and Essendon back in the day. Hopefully he learns from this and stops with his actions because he doesn’t need to do that. He is a good player without those cheap frees.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to go through heaps of the threads here and this is one I don’t venture into too often so apologies if things have been discussed.

Here’s a statement from the Tasmanian Premier about things too.

https://www.premier.tas.gov.au/site_resources_2015/additional_releases/afl-must-commit-to-tasmanian-team

I agree with the comments about Tassie getting screwed by the AFL. They aren’t helping things, we’ve had business cases showing that we can afford it, we had a major sponsor with a previous bid (Mars back in about 2008), we’ve had successful relationships for decades with Hawthorn and a few years with North Melbourne and we have waited and done everything that is asked of us. The state never ruled out a stadium but it was to be a future thing to now be told we must have it and we must be the ones to fund it after the hundreds of millions thrown at Gold Coast and GWS where they didn’t even want teams is just complete BS.

If this doesn’t go through, I think the AFL is going to have a hard time - we won’t and shouldn’t renew the Hawthorn and North deals and I can see a lot of people turning against the AFL here because of the way they are treating us. I never would have contemplated NRL ever in Tassie but if the AFL screws us over I could see an NRL team before the AFL and it sure could be an interesting decade or two coming up. The A League also a possibility after we came close to a license there previously.

1 Like

I really hope that Tasmania get their own AFL team, I’m sure it will be well supported like the Jackjumpers in the NBL and the Hurricanes in the BBL

1 Like

At the moment, I’m opposed to a 19th license. It’s too many teams. There are so many other issues the AFL could be fixing before worrying about a new team.

If there must be a team located in Tasmania, I’d look at relocating either North Melbourne or St Kilda. They’d keep the Kangaroos or Saints branding but the North Melbourne or St Kilda bit will go.

2 Likes

I agree that 19 teams is probably too much but the way the AFL has pushed this, a relocated team won’t survive. I think it could possibly have been done but the way the AFL have treated Tasmania, we won’t stand for it and we’d rather walk away if they don’t want us to be part of their club and with that they’ll have alientated a market with thousands of memberships, hundreds of players given over time and a rich history of Aussie Rules football that they have not appreciated.
This should have been done before the Gold Coast but the way the AFL are making demands of which they didn’t make to others, the way they offered hundreds of millions to others which they haven’t here and the way they have moved the goalposts so many times they are simply just gaslighting the state and turning it into an abusive partnership which we will ultimately just have to leave if they continue to say we’re never good enough for them.

3 Likes

Fremantle Top 4 chances have taken a hit after losing to Melbourne by 46 points at Optus Stadium. Fremantle’s problem was that they couldn’t kick straight and tackle well. Melbourne on the other hand managed to play great footy. Premiership contenders? Time will tell.

2 Likes