AFL

Not great for the fan again.

I have to disagree. We never know how teams are going to perform before the start of the season. What if we end up with two lower sides playing on a Friday night later in the year?

1 Like

Bad luck?

3 Likes

Itā€™s also a lot harder to plan trips to the football without knowing schedules in advance. Want bigger crowds? Make it easier for fans.

4 Likes

Solution for me is that in those rounds, select three games that can be shifted by a max of one day forward or backwards - and have a provisional schedule.

To me that is take the Friday night, a Saturday Afternoon and Saturday night game, then flag those as flexible games. Someone reading the fixture knows the stadium and within a day the date of a game so can plan at least vaguely, while TV have options to shift a match up that sounded good at the start of the season to Saturday afternoon.

At the moment the game could be anywhere from Thursday night to Sunday twilight - which is much harder to plan around.

I donā€™t really understand footykicks point to be honest. From a broadcasters sense itā€™s more likely a Collingwood or Richmond game will rate higher than say a Gold Coast or GWS game. What if the two most exciting teams are Gold Coast and GWS next year? Do you really think seven would take that over Richmond vs Collingwood?

Fact is the game will still be shown sometime over the weekend and itā€™s just the luck of the draw.

Itā€™s also my opinion all teams should have equality as much as it can be achieved. Which means I think there should be an even amount of games across all timeslots.

So just have the NFL flex rules?

2 Likes

Pretty much.

Their rules are a lot more complex though, and allow much closer to last minute changes - with only 12 days required for most of the season, so I wouldnā€™t follow them exactly - but itā€™s a model of a fair trade off between flexibility of the scheduling and fans being able to book ahead.

1 Like

Of those still (mathematically) in the hunt for finals, who do you think wins the 2022 Premiership?

Who wins the 2022 AFL Premiership?
  • Melbourne Demons
  • Geelong Cats
  • Brisbane Lions
  • Fremantle Dockers
  • Carlton Blues
  • Collingwood Magpies
  • Richmond Tigers
  • Sydney Swans
  • St Kilda Saints
  • Western Bulldogs
  • Gold Coast Suns
  • Port Adelaide

0 voters

• Dew has the Suns placed 11th on the ladder and in finals contention
  • He has re-signed until the end of the 2024 season
  • Dew is the Sunsā€™ longest-serving coach, having been in the role since 2018

Itā€™s between melbourne and brisbane I think.

As good as Collingwood has been they are the 2020 St Kilda - peaking a few years too early. They will probably make a prelim and fall next season.

https://www.zerohanger.com/well-see-more-thursdays-afl-reveal-2023-fixture-plans-122932/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Zero%20Hanger&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2gaUTxgRT4vKpwv9j6aIlWRMnPv4OuYPMPc64H4KAUyA43AwK2zBpYWIY#Echobox=1657006608

Hawthorn beat Adelaide by 32 points at Marvel Stadium this afternoon, and notched up its 1000th win in VFL/AFL history.

Flagmantle dockers*

4 Likes

I noticed that the Hawthorn Hawks are wearing white pants even though it was their home side at Marvel Stadium. It was quite strange that they wore their white pants as their home side.

1 Like

Shorts

1 Like

I support a St. Kilda Tasmania Merger.

1 Like

UPDATED

1 Like

Some vile comments sent to king freddy and sonny after last weeks game, makes me furious knowing some people resort to this to vent their frustrations on losing a game.

I wonā€™t post what was said because it is the worst racism I have seen (and you can find it easily online)

Anyways hereā€™s a statement