AFL

Exactly.

I don’t need this reminder. The lid is still off

Flagmantle stays

2 Likes

The AFL has announced the 2022 grand final will start at 2:30pm on Saturday, September 24.

There had been some talk that the game would move to a twilight match, after the 2020 and 2021 matches played in Brisbane and Perth were held later than the traditional slot.

“Prior to the start of this season, we emphasised that after two really challenging years, we all yearned to return to the footy rituals and routines that set the rhythms of our lives, to continue to focus on getting back to football and going to football as we know it,” AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan said.

“That return-to-rituals principle underpinned our decision making in ratifying a traditional start time — the prestige, nostalgia and atmosphere of the day grand final is something we all know and love.”

5 Likes

I’m at the Port vs Geelong game today. I don’t understand why the welcome to country ceremony isn’t done during finals instead of, or with, the national anthem.

4 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

It’s been well reported and clear that Gold Coast don’t support another club, wanting to close the gate once they are in, so it’s not a surprise that “at least one club” won’t support the Tasmania bid.

But North have been as powerful as you could possibly be in refusing a move. Current form is also no basis to forcibly move a club, and they have a comparatively okay financial position, certainly not the worst in the league.

Tassie deserve a new team, not scraps, not a bitter fight, not to start on the back foot with angry fans, but a fresh start.

If North isn’t a viable team, they can fold or merge, they don’t have to move and try and become ‘Tasmania’.

2 Likes

Merging with St. Kilda is a Good Idea given the Saints have a Poor History.

1 Like

This year, North Melbourne have had a horrid start to this season, winning just one game and languishing down to 17th. This is very concerning for North Melbourne becuase of the list management from the recruiting staff over the past 2 years. North wanted to become more competitive in footy this year under coach David Noble and wanted to turn from a basket case into a finals contender. Unfortunately this hasn’t fared well but this is so bad. As I have heard on the Footy Classified, that some of the recruiting staff had resigned in the wake of the drama.

So move West Coast to Tasmania then.

Not every team can always be a contender and attracting a good playing list is difficult for lower tier teams - a lack of success breeds a lack of success, digging out of that takes a long time and you need a lot to go right.

Carlton have finally managed to get up on top after years and years of miserable performances and Gold Coast look to finally be ready to make finals after over a decade in the competition.

Every team ‘wants’ to be competitive, half of the teams now seem to have a 5 year plan to win a premiership or two - they can’t all do it.

Incorrect.

There also in Severe Debt and I don’t think Relocating to Tasmania will work.

The Saints have made significant progress in reducing their debt levels and good on field performance this year may well mean they can close it all out within the next two to three years.

The Kangaroos are debt free.

After doing research on this topic for a bit, looking at relocations from other sports and reading people’s comments on the issue. I decided to come up with an interesting solution that not only keeps the AFL at 18 teams but also grants Tassie their club that they wanted.
Have the relocation happen with existing player contracts, coaches etc. But they have the North Melbourne name, colours and history remain in Melbourne so that a new team would acquire it. The new Tasmanian team would then come up with their new team name and colours and continue in from there playing as if they are a new expansion team.

I am also in the 18 only camp, I am not against a Tassie team, but I don’t think the AFL can afford funding another team with the pandemic’s impacts. Should stick to the 18. Also the idea of constant byes each weekend is not an attractive one, I remember when GC entered, that year was irritating.

1 Like

I support the new Tasmanian team. I always think the AFL competition is not complete without teams from Tasmania given its rich footy history, as well as ACT and NT. In retrospect that the AFL should have had a Tasmanian team before Gold Coast and GWS (which also looks after ACT).

1 Like

I think the AFL have bigger problems to fix at the moment rather than worrying about a Tasmanian team, for now.

If there is a new Tasmania team, that will make an odd number. I would say they should merge with another team or they should make another team for the NT.

At the centre of the NT’s bid is a proposed $300 million, 25,000-seat stadium in Darwin’s CBD with a closer proximity to the city centre than the current TIO Stadium.

2 Likes

Nice looking stadium design concepts.

2 Likes

The stadium designs both look good, but I would rather the first one.

1 Like